The Next Level

Delphinho123

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think today was good example of lacking some really good options off the bench to scare teams.

I don't think the issue is the players on the bench, but more Smith failing to use substitutions tactically. Can't recall a single time a substitute changed the complexion of a game for us this season.  Yet El Ghazi, Trez, Hause, Nakamba, etc. have all played well when they've been given a chance - so it's clearly not the lack of quality on the bench.  Look at Burnley, they turned the game around by bringing on the likes of Cork and Vydra - far from world beaters.

It’s an interesting topic this. My view is that our back 5 are all good enough. They do though need real competition. Two young full backs and a young centre half would fix that, whilst Tom can continue to provide competition for Emi.

Our front 4 options are pretty good too. Ross will need replacing if we don’t sign him in the summer but otherwise I think we are well set, particularly if Wes comes back firing.

I am still not convinced with the midfield two. SJM is good but inconsistent and Luis is still learning his game. Sanson will help the competition but I think a top class operator is needed to really help take us up a level. Imagine a young Kante playing alongside Luis. That would really make a difference.

It does feel great to be having these types of discussions after the past few years. Long may it continue. UTV.

• Like 1

I reckon to be a genuine/regular threat for top 6 or 8, we probably need genuine upgrades as follows:

• 1 x Central Defender.
  • 1 x Defensive Midfielder.
  • 1 x Attacking Midfielder (8 & 10 capable preferably)
  • 1 x Inside Winger (primarily right side, but all the better if they can play left or right)
  • 1 x Striker.

Then on top of that, we need to increase squad strength at left back & right back (prob Kesler & a Targett understudy/challenger?).

Possibly some of our current players could develop to fill one of the 5 main spots i mentioned, but im trying to not be nostalgic/bias, and assuming we are talking as of right now.

For me I think it’s quite simple. The players on the bench need to be as good as the players on the pitch. 

So we have quality coming off there. I think we do in the wide places but for me we need as good as the first XI in the following places 

LB

RB

CB

ST

For me, to obtain that it needs to average out about £30m a position. 

you get lucky with a Cash purchase and then use that to say spend £45m on a player who slots straight in.

you then can go harder in the cups and Europe knowing each player is as good. 

we wouldn’t essentially be playing weaker sides by resting people. Just different players.

all the big teams have this and Leicester I think are almost there with their bench. 

On 28/01/2021 at 01:42, nepal_villan said:

I don't think the issue is the players on the bench, ...  Yet El Ghazi, Trez, Hause, Nakamba, etc. have all played well when they've been given a chance - so it's clearly not the lack of quality on the bench.  

The issue is a lack of quality on the bench. Those players are a long way from being good enough. We need players like Traoré to be a bench player, he is the type of player that can make an impact on a game.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 14:42, nepal_villan said:

I don't think the issue is the players on the bench, but more Smith failing to use substitutions tactically. Can't recall a single time a substitute changed the complexion of a game for us this season.  Yet El Ghazi, Trez, Hause, Nakamba, etc. have all played well when they've been given a chance - so it's clearly not the lack of quality on the bench.  Look at Burnley, they turned the game around by bringing on the likes of Cork and Vydra - far from world beaters.

What about all the games we've won? Burnley won because of 2 fluke goals and us not scoring when we should've been out of sight. Not because of hindsight lack of substitutions

Edited by Kiwivillan

Going to the next level is incredibly difficult based on the resources of the top clubs or traditional big 6.

There's a reason for Wolves never being able to do it.

It's almost impossible. Even Leicester fall short of breaking into that top 4.

I know it's boring but i reckon the top 4 will yet again be Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd

Edited by villalad21

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Even Leicester fall short of breaking into that top 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 4th this season. It's possible for us to do it but we would need to spend a significant amount of money and have nearly all of our buys be successful. 

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

In the summer do we still have the Championship books on our record? For FFP reasons or is it the 2022/23 season we are free of it?

i wondered this myself, are the "years in PL" from the start or end of the year/season?, ie: this summer will that class as 3 x PL years so our full spending capacity will be active from summer 2021?, or will we need to await until the following summer (22)?

I'd like to see us sign a world class left winger.

Move Grealish into the middle, let him become the world best number 10. Barkley would have to go back in this scenario as there is no way he's happy playing backup here, so probably sign another backup for Jack.

And sign a quality centre back.

3 signings.

Think that would be enough to move us to the next level next season.

I'd be very happy with just not losing anyone and making one of those signings tbh. The squad is young and will be better next season without us doing anything.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I'd like to see us sign a world class left winger.

Move Grealish into the middle, let him become the world best number 10. Barkley would have to go back in this scenario as there is no way he's happy playing backup here, so probably sign another backup for Jack.

And sign a quality centre back.

3 signings.

Think that would be enough to move us to the next level next season.

I'd be very happy with just not losing anyone and making one of those signings tbh. The squad is young and will be better next season without us doing anything

Totally with you on a world class LW and move Jack back to the middle. He is just alot more influential than Barkley. Unless we sign jack's best mate Maddez to play no10 

On 31/01/2021 at 15:33, kidlewis said:

For me I think it’s quite simple. The players on the bench need to be as good as the players on the pitch.

But, even Liverpool, who walked the league last season, haven't got this. Man City at a stretch, perhaps, but even their bench players are not on the wavelength as the regular first team. Spurs, Man United, Chelsea..... Good to maverick types on the bench.

Micah Richards said about his time at Man City that the squad was so big that the dressing room was toxic. Too many players all feeling they should start. I think we're in the perfect position already with our crop of young talent plus a genuinely brilliant, though currently inconsistent, first XI. Someone like John McGinn, Mings, Barkley turn up regularly on the bench? They become disgruntled and leave. No question.

• Thanks 1

1. Villa

2. Man City 

3. Bayern 

4. Psg 

5. Juventus

6. Barcelona

Apparently as a team we are the top performing team in the 5 leagues on Whoscored . So at the moment we arent performing greater than the sum of our parts. They are all performing well week on week . 

Edited by MWARLEY2
Missed a bit

Jack is the best player in the league from LW, why would you play with his position? 

Barkley has shown that what we need is a top quality AMC who can play in the space that Jack creates, Jack gets the ball 2 or 3 opposition players drift wide to close him down, someone in midfield has room to play, Jack plays Central and the opposition drop a DMC on him and crowd out the centre 

Not sure why people want him to move, him being on the left makes a lot of sense, doing what he does so well from the middle of the pitch is incredibly hard 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

1. Villa

2. Man City 

3. Bayern 

4. Psg 

5. Juventus

6. Barcelona

Apparently as a team we are the top performing team in the 5 leagues on Whoscored . So at the moment we arent performing greater than the sum of our parts. They are all performing well week on week . 

Whoscored makes no sense. I also heard one of the main editors of the site is a villa fan.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whoscored makes no sense. I also heard one of the main editors of the site is a villa fan.

How does it not make sense. It's based on successful/unsuccessful contributions. I heard ages ago that was Villa fan that created the site but then heard podcast with original creators and that was false

Â