General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

So they're allegedly very concerned about the low amount of time the ball is in play/timewasting (hence the injury time rules this season), and they're concerned that referees aren't making the best out of the tools they have (VAR).

Their solution to these two problems is to just give referees yet *another* new and dubious tool: one that will very obviously encourage teams on the end of a 'blue card' to slow down games to a halt.

Can't understate the genius of those in charge. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

So they're allegedly very concerned about the low amount of time the ball is in play/timewasting (hence the injury time rules this season)

If only there was a simple way to guarantee in-play time, say 60 minutes per match...

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Bet Rodri still won't get a blue when he inevitably cynically fouls someone for the 23rd time in a game. 

This is going to end up being a mess.

I've actually been an advocate for this kind of card in theory, I've even called it the card for a Rodri tackle, but you just know it would create more problems than it solves.

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I've actually been an advocate for this kind of card in theory, I've even called it the card for a Rodri tackle, but you just know it would create more problems than it solves.

Yeah the idea in theory could work. Just like the idea that VAR should work in theory.

But consistency is going to be a huge issue when it comes to cynical fouls. 

If the refs can't seem to claim any type of consistency when they get video evidence and replays, this will end up being just another thing to moan about. 

• Like 3

they have a solution for a cynical tackle, its called a yellow card

refs aren't good enough to use them....the solution to that couldn't dare be to look at the performance of the refs, never in a million years could it ever be the refs...

its a **** joke, they're constantly trying to fix a huge problem in football with every bullshit solution known to man because they refuse to acknowledge that they aren't fit for purpose

football has the worst problem solvers imaginable, constantly just make things worse

• Like 1

Wonder how many more years of caring about football I have left. Every change they make makes it worse and less interesting. By 2034 I'm fairly certain I will have given up which is fine because then I can happily ignore the Saudi WC,

• Like 1

Sin bin only works when the clock stops which is how it works for rugby.

This won't work in football as once a player gets a blue card, another player will just fake an injury and get treatment while the time ticks on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

So they're allegedly very concerned about the low amount of time the ball is in play/timewasting (hence the injury time rules this season), and they're concerned that referees aren't making the best out of the tools they have (VAR).

Their solution to these two problems is to just give referees yet *another* new and dubious tool: one that will very obviously encourage teams on the end of a 'blue card' to slow down games to a halt.

Can't understate the genius of those in charge. 

Exactly, another dumb decision from people who seem to have no understanding of football. How will they even govern it effectively, will it be based on 10 minutes of actual in play time, if not how will it be remotely fair?

I’m not saying it’s all geared up to a conspiracy but they keep giving themselves tools to influence games ‘artificially’ and I just don’t see how it’s remotely a good thing.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they have a solution for a cynical tackle, its called a yellow card

refs aren't good enough to use them....the solution to that couldn't dare be to look at the performance of the refs, never in a million years could it ever be the refs...

its a **** joke, they're constantly trying to fix a huge problem in football with every bullshit solution known to man because they refuse to acknowledge that they aren't fit for purpose

football has the worst problem solvers imaginable, constantly just make things worse

Sheffield United other night took out Bailey and Ollie with cynical tackles in the first 5 minutes and no card

Amount of pull backs that go unpunished is crazy

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sheffield United other night took out Bailey and Ollie with cynical tackles in the first 5 minutes and no card

Amount of pull backs that go unpunished is crazy

The thing is that's probably some "too early for a yellow card" bullshit

A blue card won't stop that mentality... It will just replace it with something else "too early for a blue card" 

• Like 2

The only change that was ever needed in football was a stop clock.  60 minute long games, clock stops when the ball isn't in play.

You don't need weirdly varying amounts of added on time which have no consistency or a blue card to discourage poor sportsmanship.  Just have a stop clock and apply yellow cards properly.

• Like 2

Man City/Liverpool will guaranteed get less than everyone else despite doing it more. And let’s be honest, even if they do give out blue cards they can’t count to 10 minutes anyway. Look at last night as an example, there had been loads of stoppages second half, some pretty lengthy, yet they add 4 minutes on. This is just another rule to favour the sky clubs 

• Like 1

Having seen what they've done with VAR, I'm not in favour of adding any more rules or complications to the game. Every time they add something , it gets worse.

Whether that's incompetence, corruption, stupidity, bias, pressure or whatever, it never improves.

• Like 2

It's probably the most idiotic idea I've ever heard - a player who does something that deserves a tiny bit more than a yellow card gets the GA+ equivalent which is blue and goes to sit on the bench for ten minutes. All of his team-mates then take turns to have injures for that period to prevent there being any football played and the game becomes almost unwatchable.

What happens if you commit your blue card offence in the 44th minute? Do you sit out the first few minutes of the second half? Can you be substituted while you're on a blue card? What happens if you get it in the 90th minute? How many blue cards can a team have at once and what happens if while you have three off with blue cards, someone gets a red, is the game called off because you only have seven players? Who defines a blue card offence and how is any sort of consistency achieved? Can VAR get involved in a blue card offence? Can you appeal a blue card? Can we expect the same levels of inconsistency as we get in every other aspect of the game? Do referee's want this?

The on-field disciplinary system works fine if you have referees that are empowered to use it - at the moment, they've normalised dissent to the point where it's barely an offence, that's the biggest problem; that they aren't using the yellow cards to control players and control games - the idea of the cynical foul is already correctly punished by a yellow card, or a red card if it's violent or they are the last man. Refs need to be showing more yellow cards as a way of changing the way players approach the game.

This idea will ruin the spectacle of games, encourage time wasting, create even more of a subjective influence from referees and completely fail to solve the problem that it's being proposed as a solution for - it's an abomination.

I can't quite figure out who is responsible for this idea, but they should be asked to resign - this is the level of stupidity that's usually only associated with Arsene Wenger and Liz Truss.

Kill it with fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â