Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Or almost identical to what we've played before with Ings taking the role of Barkley. Look at a touch map of both players from last season before you say it's different. Also take a look at their defensive output, Ings has far higher Pressures, Tackles, Interceptions, Blocks and Clearances than Barkley so we'll get much more defensively with Ings.

Also people get too hung up on formations, it's what roles people do in the team and their movement

Ings isn't a no.10. He's the guy that puts the ball into the net.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Or almost identical to what we've played before with Ings taking the role of Barkley. Look at a touch map of both players from last season before you say it's different. Also take a look at their defensive output, Ings has far higher Pressures, Tackles, Interceptions, Blocks and Clearances than Barkley so we'll get much more defensively with Ings.

Also people get too hung up on formations, it's what roles people do in the team and their movement

I have looked. Barkley played as a 10 rather than a 2nd striker, creating a triangle in midfield with McGinn in an 8 position and Luiz sitting. 

Danny Ings just isn’t that player. It’s a fantasy to think you can play that way and have success in the Premier League. 

I haven’t once mentioned formation. But positioning does matter. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

i always thought Ings was more a in the box poacher type and presumed Watkins would come from deeper, obviously wrong.

I hope Sanson plays the more attacking midfield role which means he and McGinn play further forward and Doug is more deep lying play maker, presuming we don't sign the mythical defensive midfielder most of us want but aren't getting (unless Iroegbunam comes in to play that role but at 18 seems a way off).

Edited by VillanousOne

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ings isn't a no.10. He's the guy that puts the ball into the net.

Errm, ok. So only the furthers forward player puts the ball into the net. No players like Frank Lampard or Bruno Fernandes "put the ball into the net". Gottcha thanks

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Errm, ok. So only the furthers forward player puts the ball into the net. No players like Frank Lampard or Bruno Fernandes "put the ball into the net". Gottcha thanks

Think he means hes an in the box goal poacher - bit like Darren Bent.

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have looked. Barkley played as a 10 rather than a 2nd striker, creating a triangle in midfield with McGinn in an 8 position and Luiz sitting. 

Danny Ings just isn’t that player. It’s a fantasy to think you can play that way and have success in the Premier League. 

I haven’t once mentioned formation. But positioning does matter. 

If you are going to quote position numbers as if this was a decade ago then we can't really have a discussion can we? I asked you to compare the touch maps of the two players because that shows where they received and passed the ball last season, if you reviewed this you'd see they're not that far apart in terms of where they get the ball. 

I already quoted the stats that show he does a better job defensively in his role for Southampton last season than Barkley did for us. So we know defensively playing in the role he will be much better than Barkley was.

We also have Dean Smith saying he will play as the second striker at times, because Dean knows Ings comes deep to pick up balls (also shown by how high Ings ranks in progressive passes).

Home games against teams like Newcastle and Brentford I fully expect Deano to go with a 4 4 1 1 / 4 2 3 1 systems with Ings playing off Watkins. We'll see in next two weekends of course assuming Watkins is fit

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Apparently he's confirmed as out for the Newcastle match. The farce continues. 

Why is a farce Delphinho123? If the guy is injured, I think it is just part and parcel of football. When he is fit, he will show his quality that he seems to have I think

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If you are going to quote position numbers as if this was a decade ago then we can't really have a discussion can we? 

I mean, positions on the football pitch still exist. If we can’t agree on that then we can’t have a conversation I’m afraid, no.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought the debate was whether or not he was back in full training.?

Don't see him involved until after the international break at the earliest TBH. Even then we have to take into account he's barely played since Dec 2020.

34 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i always thought Ings was more a in the box poacher type and presumed Watkins would come from deeper, obviously wrong.

I hope Sanson plays the more attacking midfield role which means he and McGinn play further forward and Doug is more deep lying play maker, presuming we don't sign the mythical defensive midfielder most of us want but aren't getting (unless Iroegbunam comes in to play that role but at 18 seems a way off).

Watkins is the top forward and is absolutely critical for Villa as he initiates the press. The way we play is targeted pressing of the opponents not continuous (which will tire you out). What this means is we press together, or we don't press. Watkins is the key decision maker in that regard. If he goes to press, the other 3 attacking players need to press the players nearest to them so if they receive the ball they're under pressure. This is how we do two things, win the ball higher up the field which is a great attacking opportunity and we also give the rest of the team time to reset. So Watkins has to lead the line.

Ings is like Harry Kane in that he starts high and comes deep to receive the ball, then passes and gets into the box to finish. You can see this in how high both players progressive passes are relative to other Strikers/CFs. Ings has an additional element in that he's played as the 2nd striker at Southampton and is in the top of the stats when it comes to pressures, tackles and blocks for a forward because he becomes an extra midfielder you could say when we're not in possession where Kane stays forward as he plays in a 4 3 3.

So Ings and Kane get lots of goals because they drift into midfield where the CB doesn't follow them and then they come back late into the box to get the goal. I expect to see this kind of set up in most of our home games against teams we would be favourites against. There will of course be games where we go for Sanson over Ings and what we get there is less of a goal threat but more of a defensive element and numbers in midfield. I'd say we would play this against top 4 teams for example.

Deano has options now. Far more than he had last season

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No one said anywhere he was remotely close to being match fit, only thing that seems to be confirmed is that he's no longer injured. Has probably had a weeks training max, maybe not even that.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Fully expect him to be out for another 4 months.

It's the Villa way

Would be nice if the club actually made accurate statements about injuries rather than lies or silence.

I get it's sometimes good to play possum and not show opposition teams our hand before a match, but it's got to the point that no one believes a single word the club/Dean says about injuries.

• Like 1

Just now, The Inspiration said:

That’s quite insulting to ings, brings far more to the game

He brings more to the game than a Bent, but not enough to be at the attacking spearhead of our midfield unit. You know, in the 'position with no name'. 

Sanson might though. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

Â