Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

He didnt. He was injured

He got game time pretty much every game he was available in the first few months here, blighted by injury at the start of last season but looked excellent in the EFL cup against Chelsea before getting injured again. If he can stay fit he should be an asset especially with 5 subs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Tbf Smith did also ostracise him 

He didn’t. Sanson was injured shortly into his time with us and I believe he was also injured when he came for a medical (I can’t recall this exactly).  He also had some real issues with settling in to life in the UK so there was no way he was in the right mind to feature. He wasn’t actually supposed to join us in January as he was a summer transfer target, but the opportunity arose to take him sooner than planned with a view to giving him the time that he needed to settle. Unfortunately during that time, things changed drastically with coaching staff and players, and then we really started to play like crap, not affording him the time to integrate within a functioning side. When we replaced Grealish with Buendia, Ings and Bailey, Smith had no clue what to do with them all.  

I don’t know what his attitude is like now. But I don’t blame him for being pissed off. 

Edited by Tayls

He is just another crap signing who cant hack it in the premier league. If Bertie who actually played well a few times and won us some games is deemed not good enough then Sanson certainly isnt. If he wants a future at Villa shut up and train hard. There will be a new manager soon enough who may take another look at him. 

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He is just another crap signing who cant hack it in the premier league. If Bertie who actually played well a few times and won us some games is deemed not good enough then Sanson certainly isnt. If he wants a future at Villa shut up and train hard. There will be a new manager soon enough who may take another look at him. 

What? 

A journalist has wrote a piece saying the players are confused why he isnt playing. Sanson has said nothing today

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What? 

A journalist has wrote a piece saying the players are confused why he isnt playing. Sanson has said nothing today

It doesnt matter who is feeding Percy his rumour of "confusion", my guess is Sanson (he was gobbing off the other week after not being selected) .

We have real problems at Villa and the answer is not the millionaire Morgan Sanson whining about not being picked when he has done nothing when he has been picked.

If he doesnt like it then put in a transfer request. But he wont do that because it would cost him money. I am sick of his petulant behaviour (and Gerrards by the way but thats a separate issue).

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

It doesnt matter who is feeding Percy his rumour of "confusion", my guess is Sanson (he was gobbing off the other week after not being selected) .

We have real problems at Villa and the answer is not the millionaire Morgan Sanson whining about not being picked when he has done nothing when he has been picked.

If he doesnt like it then put in a transfer request. But he wont do that because it would cost him money. I am sick of his petulant behaviour (and Gerrards by the way but thats a separate issue).

again you have made up a lot of stuff here that Sanson hasnt done. The fact Percy is highly connected at Villa means this leak and article has been approved and accepted by somebody higher up and not by a midfielder in the bomb squad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

again you have made up a lot of stuff here that Sanson hasnt done. The fact Percy is highly connected at Villa means this leak and article has been approved and accepted by somebody higher up and not by a midfielder in the bomb squad

Sanson hasnt done a lot. I would be  interested in hearing what he has done. As for whatever the latest tittle tattle from sewing circle in the dressing room is gossiping about. Who cares? 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

He didnt. He was injured

We signed him in Jan 2021 and he was unused sub at Southampton when we won 1-0.

Took him until March 6th to actually start a game, was usual of McGinn always starting instead.

Then started v Wolves and back to sub for next game v Newcastle. Then started the next two before getting injured.

Onto 21 season and yes he was injured at the start, came back for Chelsea and was doing well until he pulled up injured.

Then returned to the bench for Wolves collapsed where he remained unused sub. Think he'd have been useful with his energy when we were still 2 up. Young came on instead at 79th minute.

So after that and terrible first half v Arsenal he still remained unused on the bench and reacted angrily. Then left out of DS squad for final two games as punishment.

So in five match losing streak he was available I think for four games and didn't play a single minute.

Ultimately under both managers he simply should've started more games. 3 for Gerrard and 4 for Smith, simply not enough starts to write him off and deem him not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was training with the first team last Friday on the video posted on AVTV. Maybe you are thinking of Guilbert.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You love Sanson, (based on what who knows)you hate Gerrard, Not much else to say..

5 minutes ago, smg said:

You love Sanson, (based on what who knows)you hate Gerrard, Not much else to say..

As if he rates a technically competent midfielder. Out of here with that nonsense and back to worshipping John McGinn!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smg said:

One is a competent footballer that is good at his job while the other is an inept clown who is way out of his depth

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

What? 

Exactly 💯 if the players are saying it shows his being frozen out for nothing like Traore to much sounds occurring maybe toxic dressing room.

Edited by ozvilla28

18 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This is a bizarre take. You seem to have imagined a whole fictional world here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/08/2022 at 13:32, tomsky_11 said:

Weird. Was at the game and didn't stand out at all. And looking back at the stats can't really see why would be voted motm either. Especially compared to McGinn...

Mins: Sanson 71 to McGinn 90

Tackles (Successful/Attempted): 2/3 vs 5/6

Pressures (Successful/Attempted): 12/36 vs 13/26

Blocked passes: 4 each

Blocked shots: 0 vs 1

Interceptions: 0 vs 2

Recoveries: 5 vs 12

Fouls won: 1 vs 7

Passes (Successful/Attempted): 20/24 vs 39/47

Passing Distance (Progressive/Total): 72/263 vs 412/834

Key passes: 0 vs 5

Dispossessed: 3 vs 2

On 18/08/2022 at 14:54, tomsky_11 said:

Just scanned through the match reactions thread, very pro Sanson and anti McGinn which is surprising given the difference in stats.

Now watching the extended highlights back:

- McGinn slips to give ball away in midfield which starts the break for Wolves' first goal, but also recovers well to put in good block for the first shot they had. Sanson comes back to around 25-30 yards out from goal and stands there.

- Sanson half attempts tackle, misses ball and probably gets away with a foul. Ball falls to McGinn who steps past two defenders then plays ball between one of them and another defender to find Bailey in space, who then forces keeper into save from 30 yards out.

- Sanson should be covering Marcal on left but is drawn to centre mid with the ball, then attempts to close Marcal on left but doesn't get there quick enough. Marcal's cross headed in by Young for OG.

- Sanson allows Fabio Silva to run from half way line with ball, missing a couple of opportunities to cut the run or win it back. Silva ends up playing dangerous ball into Trincao but Young makes very good challenge. McGinn is also tracking back with Silva but is always few yards behind him.

- Wolves break with Cash only player back. Sanson first to assist making run into centre back position. Initially steps out to cut pass but then holds back due to dummy run by Silva and ball ends up with Podence. Stands up to Podence but doesn't commit and ball is played left to Dendonker, who shoots wide and should have done better. McGinn tracking back from higher postion arrives edge of box as Dendonker shoots.

- Coutinho losses ball and Moutinho breaks between McGinn and Ramsey. McGinn slow to react and cover run. Move ends with Wolves narrowly missing. Sanson not involved

- McGinn pressures Marcal forcing him back 30-40 yards from own goal, then wins tackle which falls to Coutinho who forces save from Sa.

(Sanson has come off the pitch at some point in between the previous couple of highlights and now)

- McGinn one-two with Luiz who played good ball to Buendia, who in turn plays good ball to Watkins for one-on-one chance.

- McGinn tussles with Hwang to prevent Wolves break, then wins ball and is fouled near half way line. Luiz free kick is cleared to McGinn who half-volleys first time and finds Cash open six yards out but Sa saves Cash effort.

I know this is only a cut of the key moments in the game but the picture it shows of the game is Sanson running about a bit and generally being ineffective at best while McGinn makes some errors, makes up for them, makes some good challenges and creates multiple good opportunities. The stats pretty much back this picture up as well. So why Sanson so highly rated in match reaction thread I've no idea. Feels like some of it might have been a reaction to Gerrard or other players rather than his performance actually being any good.

Seeing as a similar discussion still ongoing around Sanson and why he's not getting game time some feel he absolutely deserves, feels worth bringing these previous posts up again as they got very little response when I originally posted them from those that are arguing for his inclusion.

30 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Seeing as a similar discussion still ongoing around Sanson and why he's not getting game time some feel he absolutely deserves, feels worth bringing these previous posts up again as they got very little response when I originally posted them from those that are arguing for his inclusion.

Okay, I'll bite for you.

I take it all these stats are from Wolves vs Villa last season? I've popped over to whoscored and had a look at that game, as I don't really remember it other than us being awful.

First thing I note is Sanson wasn't predicted to start the game, odd, was he a last minute inclusion? I don't know certainly he'd not played a whole lot in the lead up to it.

Anyway, a quick scan and Sanson has a whoscored rating of 6.1, the same as Cash, Konsa, Ramsey and better than his replacement Luiz (6.0). In fact, most of the team score pretty poorly because we were useless. However, what's this? McGinn scores a mighty 7.7, the best rating by any player on either team! His average across the whole season is 7.17, so he had a bit of a worldy there.

So pretty much you've chosen a game where stone wall first choice, future captain, McGinn has by the looks of it one of his best games of the season, and compared it to Sanson who has hardly played, likely barely match fit, certainly unused to the system, and was was drafted in last minute.

It doesn't seem the fairest of comparisons to me.

Now I'm no Sanson superfan, but the guy has pedigree, over 20 games in Europe and started in a Europa League final. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of him, especially as our midfield is bobbins and we've now got a player he's played alongside with decent success before.

I'm not sure the point in binning the guy off.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I'll bite for you.

I take it all these stats are from Wolves vs Villa last season? I've popped over to whoscored and had a look at that game, as I don't really remember it other than us being awful.

First thing I note is Sanson wasn't predicted to start the game, odd, was he a last minute inclusion? I don't know certainly he'd not played a whole lot in the lead up to it.

Anyway, a quick scan and Sanson has a whoscored rating of 6.1, the same as Cash, Konsa, Ramsey and better than his replacement Luiz (6.0). In fact, most of the team score pretty poorly because we were useless. However, what's this? McGinn scores a mighty 7.7, the best rating by any player on either team! His average across the whole season is 7.17, so he had a bit of a worldy there.

So pretty much you've chosen a game where stone wall first choice, future captain, McGinn has by the looks of it one of his best games of the season, and compared it to Sanson who has hardly played, likely barely match fit, certainly unused to the system, and was was drafted in last minute.

It doesn't seem the fairest of comparisons to me.

Now I'm no Sanson superfan, but the guy has pedigree, over 20 games in Europe and started in a Europa League final. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of him, especially as our midfield is bobbins and we've now got a player he's played alongside with decent success before.

I'm not sure the point in binning the guy off.

I would love to see Kamara, Luiz and Sanson (at McGinn's expense) for a few games, that strikes me as a very decent blend of footballing midfielders withdrive and bite, able to prgress the ball and maintain possession? I have no idea why Gerrard has excluded him from the group but it seems rediculous that we have a player who fits the bill and yet we are not even seeing him on the bench - he had a decent pre-season I thought?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He’s never played 90 minutes for Villa. Longest he played was 75 against Chelsea. The rest were either a few starts he was given 60 or 10-15 at the end. Wild.

Opposition he played against in 20/21

Chelsea 41 (draw), City 14 (loss), Leicester 14 (win), Liverpool 34 (l), Chelsea 75 (l), Brentford 22 (l), Man Utd 67(d), Brighton 19 (w), Southampton 20 (w), Leeds 20 (w), Wolves 71 (l)

wow, I wonder why he hasn’t looked a world beater

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, a m ole said:

He’s never played 90 minutes for Villa. Longest he played was 75 against Chelsea. The rest were either a few starts he was given 60 or 10-15 at the end. Wild.

This. 

You buy an asset for £15m who has pedigree and don’t even give him 90 mins on any occasion before bombing him out of the squad without publicly addressing his exclusion. 

What are we doing? 

• Like 4

Â