Weekends Football 16/17 January

andykeenan

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Having a case of the shevchenko’s.

Wasnt shevchenko in his 30s when he joined Chelsea, and definitely wasnt the same player he was (although, as usual players on shit scoring streaks he bagged a few against us)

Werner just looks, well awful, suspect he will be loaned out or sold at the end of the season, same as they did with morata 

Just now, Jimzk5 said:

Wasnt shevchenko in his 30s when he joined Chelsea, and definitely wasnt the same player he was (although, as usual players on shit scoring streaks he bagged a few against us)

Werner just looks, well awful, suspect he will be loaned out or sold at the end of the season, same as they did with morata 

He thrives in a system that plays to his strengths like Nagelsmann had at Leipzig. Lampard has no clue how to use him. He's not a targetman and he's not a touchline-hugging winger. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The red given to Lerma in the Champ today :D

The standard of officiating is hopeless

He's undercut (a la Harry Kane), his arms sprawl naturally which catches the Luton player.

Is VAR in the Championship yet?

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He thrives in a system that plays to his strengths like Nagelsmann had at Leipzig. Lampard has no clue how to use him. He's not a targetman and he's not a touchline-hugging winger. 

I dont disagree, which is why Lampard being given an easy ride by the press is pathetic, cus you know its frank lampard, and he did a good job bringing through the yoof last season

Sarri got bombarded out of Chelsea for doing a better job

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I dont rate him as a top class striker but he did well at Leipzig playing left off Poulsen, Chelsea have Giroud or Tammy can do a similar job and Chilwell bombing forward on the left. Issue is that means need to play a front 2 and Chelsea have paid a lot of wide players in recent times so Ziyech, Hudson Odoi(salary) or Pulisic will have to miss out then is the Havertz dilemma. 

Lampard is no better than Sherwood if honest, even at Derby his team never ever looked fluid but relied on WIlson set piece or a Mount goal to bail them out

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I dont disagree, which is why Lampard being given an easy ride by the press is pathetic, cus you know its frank lampard, and he did a good job bringing through the yoof last season

Sarri got bombarded out of Chelsea for doing a better job

Good. Chelsea are looking like one of the clubs we can aim to catch over the next few years. The longer Lampard is there, the better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Good. Chelsea are looking like one of the clubs we can aim to catch over the next few years. The longer Lampard is there, the better.

Yep, I think when you look at new teams jumping up in to the top 4 it's usually paired with one of the existing teams dropping off 

That looks like Chelsea right now 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

All it takes is a change in manager to an actual competent one for Chelsea to be good again. They've got some squad there.

I agree and disagree. I think Lampard is competent, I just don’t think he has anything like the experience required to do the job required there. It’s a shame they went on a trolly dash around Europe rather than allow him to continue building with young players.

Still if Ancelotti was in change I think they would be top so I agree with your wider point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Is VAR in the Championship yet?

The question should not be "where was VAR", it should be "how on earth does the ref give a red for that in the first place". VAR shouldn't be needed for instances like this because the ref has no business even sending the player off. Yes, if the ref is giving a red for that then VAR is needed to overturn it, but that's not the point I'm getting at here. Ref quality is so poor these days. There was even one yesterday in the (Chelsea?) match...ball went out of play literally two yards from the lino, and he was just staring at the ref waiting for him to make the decision on who it touched last.

With the ridiculous number of poor decisions refs are making, how these refs are trained needs to be looked at and improved. On the other hand, with the "quality" of refs these days, I'm starting to think we can train AI to be more accurate/consistent than what we've got at the moment (and yes, I've seen the footage of the AI-controlled camera tracking the lino's bald head rather than the ball).

Â