Weekends Football 1/3 January/Midweek Football 4/6 January

andykeenan

32 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

City win their extra game they are a point behind the top 2. They were well off the standard for what seemed like a long time. Things change so quickly this season

And guess who their extra game is against 😬

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester have a good team but my point is their good team only got to 62 points last year despite them being in amazing form for half of last year (pretty much book ended by the two hammerings they gave us.).

Don't forget they remain in europa so that could impact on dropping points later on in the season.

If they're finishing on around 62 points this season I don't see why we can't be within range of them as surely getting 50 + points is a very realistic target for us now.

They also massively changed their 11 for the Palace game last week and were 5 minutes away from losing that so it's not that amazing and they still need Vardy in final third to make it all work just as we do with Jack.

If you think we are going to finish above Leicester then PM me and name your odds. Seriously. There isn't a snowballs chance of us finishing above Leicester this season. 

Now, if we are talking about next season, or the season after, once our owners have had more time to add quality to the squad, then I'd say it's possible.

This is a long term rebuild. Talk of top 4 finishes and finishing above the likes of Everton and Leicester this season are crazy. As we will see in due course.

I think we will be finish 10th to 12th and that would be a fantastic improvement. The expections from some fans are putting unnecessary pressure on the club in my opinion and we just don't need it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

If you think we are going to finish above Leicester then PM me and name your odds. Seriously. There isn't a snowballs chance of us finishing above Leicester this season. 

Now, if we are talking about next season, or the season after, once our owners have had more time to add quality to the squad, then I'd say it's possible.

This is a long term rebuild. Talk of top 4 finishes and finishing above the likes of Everton and Leicester this season are crazy. As we will see in due course.

I think we will be finish 10th to 12th and that would be a fantastic improvement. The expections from some fans are putting unnecessary pressure on the club in my opinion and we just don't need it. 

PM ready......if it's a -5 handicap or something!

On balance I agree with you though....I don't expect us to finish above any of Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Everton etc as they're all just a bit stronger and obviously been in that part of the table for most of last decade while we obviously haven't.

I was just saying though I don't think us winning 10 more games this season is wildly unrealistic given we've won 8 already. If we do that we'll be finishing on 60 points with 4 more draws.

If Leicester shoot 62 points again that means we're pretty much neck and neck again with them going into the final 5 games so anything could happen in that scenario.

They have lost as many games as we have btw and arguably had a easier run of home games so I don't really foresee them finishing 10-15 points clear of us so that's why I'd like them to continue dropping points in the next few weeks. That's all.

Finishing 12th would be disappointing. Taken it at the start of season no doubt but it's a bit like saying to Leicester fans in January 2016 they should be happy finishing 6th or 7th. We've certainly got enough about us to finish above likes of Southampton and West Ham unless I'm missing something obvious. Finishing 12th will probably mean we finish below Leeds aswell btw.:bang:

Edited by VillaChris

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Finishing 12th would be disappointing. Taken it at the start of season no doubt but it's a bit like saying to Leicester fans in January 2016 they should be happy finishing 6th or 7th. We've certainly got enough about us to finish above likes of Southampton and West Ham unless I'm missing something obvious. Finishing 12th will probably mean we finish below Leeds aswell btw.:bang:

Aren't we only about 6 points off 15th or something?

We aren't having a bad season by any stretch but there's about 12 teams that can say the same. We have the same points as 10th placed West Ham. 

Long way to go but anything above 13th or so and we would have had a cracking season.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Aren't we only about 6 points off 15th or something?

We aren't having a bad season by any stretch but there's about 12 teams that can say the same. We have the same points as 10th placed West Ham. 

Long way to go but anything above 13th or so and we would have had a cracking season.

Would have to be quite a bad run to go down to 15th...Brighton last season finished there on 41 points so you have to bare in mind teams in bottom half generally don't win that many games.

Everton finished 12th last season with 49 points and they won only 13 games so we're 5 off that with well over half the season with to play.

No criticism of the manager if we win just 3 out of our last 20 games btw? He's done brilliant so far this season but I'm hoping we're past the stage now of barely winning a game over half a season, the players we have are far better than that.

That's the sort of run that would have us finishing 12th based on last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50702876

This is table from last season btw after 17 games. Sheffield United were just 6 points off 15th. Still finished top 10 despite poor form post lockdown. Bar top 2 points totals  are largely similar to this point last season.

Leicester had a mad slump. Took 23 points from their final 21 games.

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Vestergaard and Romeu out. Liverpool with a CB partnership of Fabinho and Henderson. Could be a high scoring game!

Southampton also missing their GK McCarthy

Â