Weekends Football 1/3 January/Midweek Football 4/6 January

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Blackburn 96 and Leicester 2017 were far worse but then they were shock winners. Man. United aftet they won the league last finished 7th next season, Moyes effect. And that's before we come to Chelsea 15/16 who completely threw half the season to get Mourinho out.

Liverpool won't be finishing as low as any of them.

I mean points wise at this stage of the season, doubt many United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City teams were this bad after winning. The poor quality of the Premier League makes it look exciting but is major issues in this Liverpool squad

City were poor last season and had 35 points at this stage for example

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I mean points wise at this stage of the season, doubt many United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City teams were this bad after winning. The poor quality of the Premier League makes it look exciting but is major issues in this Liverpool squad

City were poor last season and had 35 points at this stage for example

Guess Leicester takes that honor. They had 17 points after 17 rounds the year after they won the title sitting in 15th.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Guess Leicester takes that honor. They had 17 points after 17 rounds the year after they won the title sitting in 15th.

well I think Leicester and Blackburn werent champions to stay so I wouldnt really include them compared to the rest, unless Liverpool are in the same bracket ;) 

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

statistically Liverpool must be one of the worst defending champions ever, they have dropped a lot of points so far

Best to wait until the season ends.  I still think they will win it myself. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Best to wait until the season ends.  I still think they will win it myself. 

just because they might win a poor league doesnt mean they will be great champions. If United win the game in hand or City win the 2 games in hand they go top

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

just because they might win a poor league doesnt mean they will be great champions. If United win the game in hand or City win the 2 games in hand they go top

No but it wont make them the worst defending champions either.   Teams win a few then loose a few. Without crowds in grounds results are all over the place. I expect Uniteds form will change soon anyway. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not on board with this ‘poor league’ angle, it’s the best season the PL has seen for some time in terms of competitiveness, minus Sheff United of course. 

It's something people always spin for their own agenda and flip between statements depending on what they're trying to say.

'X team is doing really well but only because this is a poor league'

'They must be really bad as this is a poor league'

The league gets stronger every year the obscene money stays in it, you stand still you fall behind.

Speaking of falling behind, a lot of rumours coming out Wilder has resigned tonight 

Edited by Rino8
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not on board with this ‘poor league’ angle, it’s the best season the PL has seen for some time in terms of competitiveness, minus Sheff United of course. 

I think it's clear that teams have been poor and inconsistent. The league table shows that. It does make it more competitive, but it doesn't change the fact that teams are bunched together because of how inconsistent they are.

Well said, @bannedfromHandV.

To merit an argument for the standard of the league being quality or not, based on whether or not the teams one expected to fare well are doing that or not, isn't really much of a measure for how great or poor the standards of play are, it's more just an indicator that proceedings and fixtures haven't gone as one anticipated, which is a decent indicator that one's judgement on the season being played out isn't as privy to outcomes or insightful as one might've thought.

I personally couldn't be assed writing too long a post arguing why the league is great, because I'd rather just watch and enjoy it for the time being (that's the mood today), but I will say that the top ten, is as good as it's ever been. Ten years ago, when we were at the end of our run of 6th place finishes, you had teams like Sunderland, Newcastle and WBA pushing for finishing top half. They boasted talent like Steve Bruce, Asamoah Gyan, Sessegnon, Bent, Larsson at Sunderland or, Alan Pardew with Lovenkrands, Kevin Nolan, Coloccini etc. You get the picture.

Now you've got an Arsenal team that are residing just below the top half, and they've got world class players like Willian, Luiz, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Ozil etc.

Everton's squad is quality, as is Leicester's, Wolves', Villa's, and that's outside of the usual suspects for European placing.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rino8 said:

It's something people always spin for their own agenda and flip between statements depending on what they're trying to say.

'X team is doing really well but only because this is a poor league'

'They must be really bad as this is a poor league'

The league gets stronger every year the obscene money stays in it, you stand still you fall behind.

Speaking of falling behind, a lot of rumours coming out Wilder has resigned tonight 

I suppose it depends what factors you consider when rating the league. I think a league is better when things are still in the balance with a few games left. I don't like the title being won on 95+ points. It means the rest of the league weren't competitive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Its an entertaining season and a wide open but the quality is not so high for me. Some of the goalkeeping and defending are atrocious at times, we are surprisingly an exception to that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its an entertaining season and a wide open but the quality is not so high for me. Some of the goalkeeping and defending are atrocious at times, we are surprisingly an exception to that 

Yeah, it's basically pre-season level football with much lower intensity that a usual season. No fans and a congested schedule the big culprits. You just have to compare to the few games where they did manage to have fans to see the massive difference it made. And just like last season the home advantage is (almost) gone with empty stadiums. Unless something changes drastically it will be a record number of away wins in the league.

Players are just not as sharp but there are some fun games. Us and Leeds are really entertaining IMO and the fact that the league is so even is also adding to the enjoyment. Not looking forward to seeing Manure at the top thou.

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I think it's clear that teams have been poor and inconsistent. The league table shows that. It does make it more competitive, but it doesn't change the fact that teams are bunched together because of how inconsistent they are.

But why does that automatically equate to a poorer standard? Why can it not just be that a number of teams have improved over the summer and the league is better for it?

Just seems like a pessimistic view for the sake of being pessimistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I’d say goalkeeping was worse last season, not sure there have been too many howlers yet this season.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Go back to that stat pre Xmas, villa are the only team in the PL who are pressing more than they did last season, the intensity is down which is obvious as to why 

The quality is down, its down across Europe, all of the leagues are more competitive this year

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nor am i its not a poor league, its the most competitive we have seen in years

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

defending maybe but the goalkeeping has been exceptional this season. 

Â