Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

22 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Sorry but this Barkley thing is bloody daft. 

2-3 weeks ago he was "close" to playing, according to the manager. There's no way he's not capable of at least providing an option off the bench, unless there's been a massive setback.

The club could do much better on communication around injuries. An old problem never rectified. 

Remember Jack being labelled close to a return for about 2 months before he actually kicked a ball again? This is a loan, and an expensive one, so we can't really afford a similar situation with Ross, particularly with such a brutal run of games ahead, and zero decent options coming off the bench.

And wtf is the deal with Trezeguet???

Relax man, We are just **** with Chelsea so we can drop a cheeky bid next week!

24 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why are people trying to come up with Barkley conspiracy theories?!? 

Most likely isn’t fit enough, squads been playing well, so no need to rush him back in and risk further injury. 

He was announced as fit again by Smith 2 games ago.  It's very strange he's not even in the squad now so people are naturally worried about if something has happened. 

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Hahaha yup. Seriously people, Ockham's razor is still a thing ffs.

What a great way to start 2021.....Occam’s Razor being referenced Love it mate. Massive respect ✊ 

• Like 1

The pressure is all on United tonight. Let's see what that does to them. They flaked earlier this season when they needed a draw in the Champions League.

Whatever happens, this season has been brilliant so far. Much better than I think anyone expected.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He was announced as fit again by Smith 2 games ago.  It's very strange he's not even in the squad now so people are naturally worried about if something has happened. 

He was announced as nearly fit wasn't he? That's a big difference when it's only been a few days 

17 minutes ago, eholm said:

Really?? See my earlier post re care needed with hamstring injuries. You also state that as an expensive loan we can’t afford for RB to be our for months.....we’ll, rush him back too soon and you risk getting a severe tear or rupture and he could be out for the season. Trez has a similar injury so again relax and enjoy Bert in the meantime  

Re comms around injuries.....why should we detail everything so that the opposition can plan accordingly. IMO good tactic from DS by not letting teams know if or when one of our best players (RB) will be selected. 

The argument that it's clever tactically is a total nonsense.

It's smart in reverse - if a manager knows that a key player is about to come back but plays coy or suggests he's not ready, then his appearance can disturb the opposition and change their game.

What exact advantage does it give Villa if a team like United expects to see Ross Barkley but sees Conor Hourihane on the bench instead...? 😂

As I said, there's no substance to the "keeping the opposition guessing" stuff.

• Like 1

Ruling Mings out already? And Hause is the new hero after 2 matches? Both are great but lets not ready up to use Mings as a scapegoat before the ball has been picked. Disappointing reads itt..

Just now, est1874 said:

The argument that it's clever tactically is a total nonsense.

It's smart in reverse - if a manager knows that a key player is about to come back but plays coy or suggests he's not ready, then his appearance can disturb the opposition and change their game.

What exact advantage does it give Villa if a team like United expects to see Ross Barkley but sees Conor Hourihane on the bench instead...? 😂

As I said, there's no substance to the "keeping the opposition guessing" stuff.

Planning for Grealish to be left or cental I'd imagine would alter a teams preparation tbf

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

To who’s advantage would that be?

To whose advantage is it to suggest a player is ready when they're not? Refer to my reply to eholm, there's no advantage - either psychological or tactical - to be gained from that.

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And i don't trust Mings to tie his shoelaces.

He is a ticking bomb. As much as i don't rate Hause i get panic attacks left, right and center everytime Mings is on the ball

Sadly you’re screwed then because they are our first and third choices and sadly Van Dijk is injured so I don’t think we will be signing him any time soon.

• Haha 1