Pre-Match Thread

It's Your Round

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

We have a very good 1st 11 this season. A first 11 that could beat anyone given the right circumstances.

Our squad however, is dreadful, and for every one player you take out of that great 1st 11, I'd say our chances of a win decrease by as much as 20%.

3 players out makes it very hard. 

I'd take a point right now.

I wouldn't take a point. Attitude is everything. If you are playing for Aston Villa and get the call to start, you should be right on it and up for the challenge of beating Burnley. Every fan outside Liverpool and City probably will tell you their team is weaker if they are missing 2 are 3. The whole " we have a weak squad argument " it's not exclusive to us. This is our lot. This is what we go with tonight. Get our attitude and work rate on point from the off and try and win the game.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ooof.

Missing two of the back four - Konsa being out is a blow.

Midfield two of McGinn and Nakamba looks like it could struggle.

Then three wingers behind Watkins - Traore I reckon will be the one predominantly in the No. 10 role.

If we win it, it'll be through outscoring them.

thats usually how football works! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Low on confodence didnt they just beat arsenal!

Thanks to a red card and an own goal from Aubameyang but yeah I guess they did. Then again it was Arsenal... Not sure if that replaces the overall feeling of their season.

Come on, guys. It’s not all doom and gloom. A lot of players with a massive opportunity there, all of whom have had decent games in a Villa shirt at one time or another. I’m still feeling positive about this. (But none of that dragging it back onto your left, please, Jack! Come inside, gain the half yard, smash it...).

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I wouldn't take a point. Attitude is everything. If you are playing for Aston Villa and get the call to start, you should be right on it and up for the challenge of beating Burnley. Every fan outside Liverpool and City probably will tell you their team is weaker if they are missing 2 are 3. The whole " we have a weak squad argument " it's not exclusive to us. This is our lot. This is what we go with tonight. Get our attitude and work rate on point from the off and try and win the game.

I'm not playing for Aston Villa. Neither are you. I am saying that as a fan, seeing that team, I'd take a point. 

I'd hope the players think differently of course, but that's a different matter altogether.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We could do with Watkins finding his shooting boots again today.

Just thinking this very thing. I don't want him to go too many games between goals - if that doesn't sound too stupid a comment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Which part? Hause is an awful footballer. Is that the part you disagree with?

He's not an awful footballer. He's a championship level defender when it comes to most aspects of defensive work but I'd argue he's premier league quality at defending crosses and long balls. 
Do I think he's good enough for this league? Absolutely not, but he's not 'League 2 standard' and this is a fixture that suits him. Probably the only fixture that suits him! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It's actually hilarious that anyone could think that the attitude  of fans sat miles away from the game, could in any way have an effect on the match. 

I'm 10,000 miles away or so, attitude is not "everything", it's absolutely nothing. As far as us fans go that is.