Weekends Football 27/29 November

andykeenan

56 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Were you expecting anything else? It's another Mourinho team who defend as a unit and try to hit teams on the break

Didn't even do that. Just played for a 0-0! Good result for them though. 

6 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

It's there not a case for a red card there for Luiz? He was nowhere near the ball and just smashed into Jiminez.

It was late, but in real time it didn't look that late to me. Luiz was already steaming in and Jiminez stepped towards him to make the header so I'm not sure what he could have done.

I think a red card would be extremely harsh, although I suppose it could be taken to be a reckless challenge. I'm not sure I can remember a red given for going in hard on a header though.

It's pretty hard to judge it at all only seeing it in real time from far away. It might look much worse on the replays, but we're never going to see those!

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It was late, but in real time it didn't look that late to me. Luiz was already steaming in and Jiminez stepped towards him to make the header so I'm not sure what he could have done.

I think a red card would be extremely harsh, although I suppose it could be taken to be a reckless challenge. I'm not sure I can remember a red given for going in hard on a header though.

It's pretty hard to judge it at all only seeing it in real time from far away. It might look much worse on the replays, but we're never going to see those!

It's crazy though... If it were a tackle on the ground and Luiz charged in, full speed and took out the player, they'd be no argument - he'd be gone, banned.

A header, where the injury could be significantly worse, is somehow not worthy of punishment.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I think we will finish on between 48 and 53 points. 

I'd be amazed if we finished as low as 13th and 10 points off likes of Southampton collecting any of those points totals in that range, something like 42 points then yeah. Guess we'll see in six months. Likes of Southampton and Everton will start dropping points regularly now (Everton is already 4 defeats out of 5) and finish on 50-55 point range I think.

If Arsenal-Wolves stays as draw it's been a very good weekend for us with other results. Heck win tomorrow and v Newcastle on Friday and we'll be joint top again.

Give it another two weeks and it will probably be the usual top 6 in whatever order with both Manchester clubs back in the top half now.

3 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

First World problem in a way but still annoying we are only 2pts from being 15th

We’ve played the fewest matches in the league, and have two matches in hand over 6 of the 12 clubs below us. Little more comfortable to think about when you take GP into account.

edit: and on the flip side, if things go our way tomorrow we could be in a CL spot

Edited by MNVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

It's crazy though... If it were a tackle on the ground and Luiz charged in, full speed and took out the player, they'd be no argument - he'd be gone, banned.

A header, where the injury could be significantly worse, is somehow not worthy of punishment.

I get where you're coming from and it has definitely highlighted for me how a clash of heads is rarely talked about in the same terms as a tackle.

I'd be interested to see what they'd do if it had been the defender steaming in that late. Almost certainly a penalty, but God knows if they'd award any cards.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Can't believe with all the debate about number of subs being used they still haven't signed off the rule you can get an extra one if you lose a player to concussion as Wolves have.

I've wondered for years why they don't do this and blood bin subs like rugby. I can't think of any party it would disadvantage.

I'm not sure I'd trust teams like Liverpool to have their club doctor make the assessment though. The man managed to diagnose 5 times as many asthmatics in their squad as the UK average. 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't believe with all the debate about number of subs being used they still haven't signed off the rule you can get an extra one if you lose a player to concussion as Wolves have.

Even more astonishing that Luiz has not been taken off. It's become absolutely clear that football managers and their physios can not be trusted to behave in their players best interests. It'll take someone dying before the FAs do something about this.

• Like 3

Â