Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You can clearly see his studs gets caught in Mings studs. Was accidental but not a dive

I didn't see that. I see him jump into the air and go down like he'd been shot. I have twisted my ankle, turned over it and all sorts playing footie and never had a reaction like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I never got the Sheffield United Hype to be honest. They were very sold and hard to break down rather than out playing their opponents. 

Im disappointed because we just played a team that had higher Possession percentage against both Liverpool and City. What did we honestly expect? 

The players and manager got this one wrong. Simple as. As I’ve said lets just learn from it and bounce back against Southampton. 

I think Sheff Utd beat us 4-1 at their place last season or the season before......they are not as technically gifted as Leeds, but my point is all about working hard collectively and securing the initiative.

right from the off tonight Leeds were working their way in to the game, winning all the 50/50's and second balls.....we relied on moments and sure we had some good ones and could have scored on ocasions......but they looked like scoring more (to me) than us even at 0-0 and Jack Harrison had a field day and it was left to matty cash to deal with on his own, why did we not double up on him, and nullify his confidence, we was much too far away from him and allowed him the space to pick his spot like a sniper.

17 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

From around the 15th minute to the 35 minute  I thought we shaded them. Out working the hardest working team in the league isn't going to happen.

When one or two press when the rest hold position, thats when those gaps appear. Leeds exploited that. Leeds press as a team which makes their press so effective.

Our passing was poor and we never really tried to pass out from the back. Hitting it long appeared to be the gameplan. To not risk playing out for fear of being caught by their press.

So I don’t think were dominated from start to finish. They did indeed stop us playing for large parts. Hitting long from the back, and looking for defence splitting through balls every time we got the ball as always going to mean gifting Leeds a lot of ball. So if that's how you are going to play you have to be organised and disciplined defensively. Make yourselves hard to play through. We didn’t do that.

our passing was poor, in part, by their ability to get their foot in and disrupt our ability to pass, in contrast we stood off an admired their work.....if you do that you are done.

No disrespect to Leeds, I have seen us do that tonight with other teams and it hasn't ended well.

Dean said before the game, you have to compete to get anything at this level and that also means being physically adept and winning those combative battles more often than you lose them.

That result tonight was not bad luck or some fortunate finishing, for me it was gradually coming all through the game.....sure some magical moments could have changed the game.....but for me we was outpointed for most part and then knocked down when our legs had gone....sorry for the boxing terminology.

Edited by TRO

Just noticed Bielsa after the game described Bamford as a “noble player”.I think that is a long way from the truth.After his previous acting performance to get El Gazi sent off his play acting to try to con a penalty was despicable and probably why Mings was so angry.

The game was in the balance just after half time but they scored and really dominated us and deserved to win.Mcginn looked exhausted and Barkley was poor.

I don’t think we played that badly just they played with high energy and good tactics.We are not the finished article and we had no one on the bench to change things offensively(El gazi might have helped?)

Still incredible start to the season.

People say Jack should shoot more, but I've seen him dribble into oblivion several times this season when he could have made an easy pass to set up a good chance. He had Watkins and Trez open for tap ins but was selfish.

• Like 2

Jack is a supremely talented footballer who can win games on his own, however he has to be able to spot the opportunities for others and play them in, is this down to him to see those opportunities or does he need to be coached into seeing them,? I have no idea, but hopefully those at the club with influence can sort this out.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

A game of fine margins, possible bookings to red cards, Jack's miracle run, Konsa's chance. Bamford missed two efforts in the first half (case in point, we handled him pretty well). Leeds play at an explosive intensity and the silly mistakes crept in. It's not good enough against such opposition. We don't become a bad team overnight, but you have to eliminate such basic mistakes and not expose the full backs as much.

Credit to Leeds, they work hard for each other, and have the quality to press and punish. Their wing play was a constant threat.

Bamford took his goals well, but he's still a horrible little shit. Gotta love his miracle recovery and trying to get Mings sent off.

Mings had a shocker. Caught flat footed far too often.

He doesn't like players running at him, and he was exposed tonight by that.....I thought Luiz had a poor night, was watching the play go past him,they passed around him and subsequently never protected the centre backs.

However, Mings seemed to lack composure for the first goal or belief in the keeper.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

He doesn't like players running at him, and he was exposed tonight by that.....I thought Luiz had a poor night, was watching the play go past him,they passed around him and subsequently never protected the centre backs.

Doesn't kill himself does Dougie. Didn't like the way he went down after been tickled by Strujik early on either. He's a little flimsy going for 50/50 balls.

• Like 1

Leeds are going to do that to a lot of teams for the first part of the season but I’m not sure they will be able to sustain that type of football for the whole season?

Villa were poor tonight which didn’t help and exposed tactically but as we’ve already seen this season three quarters of the teams in the Premiership are good enough going forward to give you a good hiding if you’re not on it.

More worryingly for me again was the amount of space Villa leave on the flanks which needs to be looked at by Smith before the next game against Southampton as Walcott will have a field day.

I’m still to be won over by Watkins or Traore but it’s early days yet.

1 hour ago, villa_shere said:

Leeds deserves to win that. We’re the better team at 0-0, but we weren’t bad up to 0-0. We were in the game and created three good goal a scoring chances. 

bamfords finishing was clinical 

I don’t believe we should have changed a four game winning approach for the game. 

there are many lessons to learn from this but I disagree with fans saying we were poor etc

This is not the first time this has happened, despite Leeds playing well...and its not the first time Leeds have done it to us at home.

Its something we must work on, its an Achilles heel for me.

Give Villa time and space and you are in trouble.......suffocate them like tonight and this can happen.....We have to find a way of dealing with it.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Leeds are going to do that to a lot of teams for the first part of the season but I’m not sure they will be able to sustain that type of football for the whole season?

Villa were poor tonight which didn’t help and exposed tactically but as we’ve already seen this season three quarters of the teams in the Premiership are good enough going forward to give you a good hiding if you’re not on it.

More worryingly for me again was the amount of space Villa leave on the flanks which needs to be looked at by Smith before the next game against Southampton as Walcott will have a field day.

I’m still to be won over by Watkins or Traore but it’s early days yet.

Difference is most teams gonna park the bus against Leeds we came to play

• Like 3

This game was straight out of last season. Slow start, midfield 3 may as well have not been on the pitch, Jack trying to play hero ball with every possession, toothless up front, exposed on the flanks everything they went forward, heads dropping once we concede, DS having no plan B and no one on the bench who could change the game.

In the context of the season 4 from 5 is an excellent start, but this game shows we haven't improved as much from last season as some would like to think

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Cash battled hard. But was over run why did he get over run, because Trezguet and Watkins were pressing high and Jack wasn't. This made it easy to play through our press and then Trezguet is in no man's land while Leeds are swarming all over us. This lead to our downfall. 

To be fair to the lads. Until the first goal it was quite an even game we also had a few good chances, and the first half was very even.

I was hoping we would get out of the block fast in the second half, but we allowed them too jump all over us.

Jack was poor tonight. Totally justified Southgates preference of Mount over him, with his lackadaisical approach to his defensive responsibilities. His passing was also poor tonight.

We were out worked tonight, but we probably shouldn't have tried to match their work rate and instead made it harder difficult for them to get through us. McGinn also had a poor game. Their midfielders were fully prepared for his habits, and he passed to ball poorly. 

Since the Liverpool game it seems like McGinn is looking for that defence splitting pass all the time when he should be playing the simple ball more often.

Douglas Luiz is the only reason it was only 3 In the end, as once we went a goal down we were wide open and gifting them possession.

The ref was poor. Bamford was fouling Konsa persistently. The twist of the ankle (according to the rubbish biased commentators) from Bamford was actually a blatant dive and worthy of a yellow card.

Deano got his approach all wrong. Why try to match the workrate of the hardest working team in the league? He should've been making us hard to play through and looking to keep possession as much as possible. Should've told Trezguet to hold position in front of cash and only close down in his own half. McGinn should also have been helping cash but was no where near him. Barkley spent half of his time defending the left flank in place of Jack.

The discipline which was very good against Leicester was nowhere to be seen here.

Douglas 7

Cash 7

Konsa 6.5

Watkins 6.5

Everyone else 3.

If there was one single thing to work on and learn from ......its that.....The second bit is the reason why the the first bit is important.

How many duels did we win to disrupt them?.....how many times did we double or treble up to win the ball back......thats what hard work brings....we was just out worked and out fought..............collectively......How many aerial balls up front just came back and second balls was not picked up....and their sorties started again.

I hope we can identify tonights flaws and correct them.

Â