Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

7 hours ago, Icarium said:

This game was straight out of last season. Slow start, midfield 3 may as well have not been on the pitch, Jack trying to play hero ball with every possession, toothless up front, exposed on the flanks everything they went forward, heads dropping once we concede, DS having no plan B and no one on the bench who could change the game.

In the context of the season 4 from 5 is an excellent start, but this game shows we haven't improved as much from last season as some would like to think

First loss in 9 premier league games shows great improvement. 

We’ve also shown adaptations in style in playing sheff utd and Fulham and then lesta and lpool

• Like 1

Probably been said already but if you offered me 12/15 points as a start to the season i would've jumped at it !

In a strange way, the 100% was starting to worry me in a small, far off kind of fashion. Inasmuch as pressure building so early on just to keep the run going. At least we can learn from it.

One thing though, our bench looked a bit lightweight in terms of a quick fix last night. 

9 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Smith get's the blame for that one from me. However Leeds were brilliant and fully deserved the 3 points tonight.

the wrong setup didn't help them.  

I didn't watch the game, how did we set up?

Think I’d echo the sentiments of most people on here and say 4 from 5 was well beyond our expectations.

Just think if we’d have lost 0-3 to Liverpool and won 7-2 last night we wouldn’t we wouldn’t feel as dismal but there it is, Leeds played very well. 

Onto the next one! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa_shere said:

We’ve also shown adaptations in style in playing sheff utd and Fulham and then lesta and lpool

Agreed, but this game shows that everything that cost us last year is still there under the surface. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Think I’d echo the sentiments of most people on here and say 4 from 5 was well beyond our expectations.

Just think if we’d have lost 0-3 to Liverpool and won 7-2 last night we wouldn’t we wouldn’t feel as dismal but there it is, Leeds played very well. 

Onto the next one! 

You sound way too jovial.

What you been snorting?

• Haha 2

Its still a funny old game.

Got to try and look at the positives from the season so far.  12 points from the first 5 games is brilliant so I think one has to take the punishment and move on.

The most concerning thing was that after going a goal down there did not seem to be much fight and belief to get back into the game?

There have been some unusual results in the Premier League so far, Liverpool 7 . 2 , Man Utd 6 . 1 etc but the most important game is the one after and how the players react so heres hoping they dust themselves down and in the next game and show this was just one of those blips. In these situations the next game cannot come fast enough.

Edited by newhavenhibby

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Cant name one player that had a good game tonight. They outrun us outfought us. The midfield was crap. 

It had remnants of December 2018, but we scored the first 2 that night....their intensity and workrate just simply over whelmed us and sadly that is what I feared would happen before the kick off last night.....I don't think we was prepared for that.

They had some key players out too....but their relentless style was too much for our narcisstic, self indulgent offering.

• Like 1

We gave Leeds the freedom of Villa Park, space to attack us down the flanks and we were outmuscled and outran. Leeds looked like a team we looked like a bunch of individuals.

We need to learn from this and hopefully we will but next time we play against them clearly we should come up with an alternative approach.

On to the next game and hopefully we'll see a positive reaction against Southampton. UTV!

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You dont think we were pathetic ? We were DREADFUL. This was just like the Leicester away game pre lockdown. In fact this was even worse because leicester are better than us.

They threw the towel in. Didnt do any of the basics right. No pressing poor passing defending so poor. Then in final 3rd the decsion making was so bad.

Yeah we were pathetic  tonight in my opinion 

I think we fell apart a bit after their goal but we could have scored a couple by then, it could easily hve been 2-2 by then! We competed well enough for 70 minutes of the 90. Even when we were a bit all over the place I wouldn't say we were pathetic or dreadful. Not like the 11 strangers the last manager often put out or the even worse days before that.

Decision making, I guess you mean Jack mainly, he was guilty of holding on to it too long a few times I think, but then again on another day he gets a brace and the pen gets given so 2 goals and an assist. His passing accuracy was down, as a group we didn't handle their pressure well. Better teams than us will not handle their pressure either. 

I think it is far more realistic to give credit where it is due, Leeds were excellent all over the park. They play first touch, full throttle with exceptional movement. Bielsa has done an incredible job with the squad he has. That said 3-0 flattered them a bit given all the chances we had, they shoudl really have been down to 10 men inside the first half hour as well if the ref had any bollocks.

I've seen other people saying you can't criticise without someone trying to make out you aren't a good fan. I think that's over defensive from people that have always criticised Smith from the start. I do think that after the start we have had the level of criticism is a bit much though. I also think the level of praise and expectation from winning our first four was way over the top though. I'm happy we're 11 points clear of the bottom 3 to be honest and we're 39 points away from having a massively improved season and cementing our place back in this league.

Very disappointing result, and a performance I woudl think Smith will study hard and an experience we will learn from as a group.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Philosopher said:

They outnumbered cash. If it was Guilbert on the pitch it would have  been done and dusted at half time. Well I thought Bamford should have seen a yellow for fouls on Konsa or the blatant dive in the box. I thought the ref allowed Leeds to be very aggressive and get away with fouls, and give a ticking off when a yellow was I  order. So I do think the ref had an effect on the game. Not decisive however.

It was a even game up until the first goal. The main concern before the first goal was how easy they got behind Trezguet and got one on one and two on one on cash. Deano should've made the adjustment but didn't. Also Barkley had to do Jack's defending which certainly didn't help.

I respect your opinion, I really do and I think the first goal killed us, just like you say.

However, In my humble opinion, it was never even,they was winning the duels, i concede it was in terms of goals but at 0-0 , it was coming, they won the initiative and built on it, and we wilted.....I agree that first goal tipped the scales and their overwhelming intensity forced the error, but it was coming.

Conversely our inability to score in our moments failed to take out their sting and their industry just grew.

There are teams in this league like Leeds, Southampton, Wolves, Leicester, who are good at this sort of high intensity football, we need to be wary, because we seem to like space and time on the ball, to work our magic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I respect your opinion, I really do and I think the first goal killed us, just like you say.

However, In my humble opinion, it was never even, i concede it was in terms of goals but at 0-0 , it was coming, they won the initiative and built on it, and we wilted.....I agree that first goal tipped the scales and their overwhelming intensity forced the error, but it was coming.

Conversely our inability to score in our moments failed to take out their sting and their industry just grew.

There are teams in this league like Leeds, Southampton, Wolves, Leicester, who are good at this sort of high intensity football, we need to be wary, because we seem to like space and time on the ball, to work our magic.

of course....but we showed last night our achilles heel......if Dean is right its a bloody nose, we will see if he is right.

I think before the first goal in hindsight I would have bought on Nakamba. His legs could have given us fresh impetus. Having said that their keeper played really well and made some good saves. 

We can't concede that many shots again. I hope we can play high octane stuff like that too. It seems that we've gone for the men behind the ball and counter style. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Icarium said:

Agreed, but this game shows that everything that cost us last year is still there under the surface. 

I think that is the concern for me.....I honestly thought we had turned the corner.

I thought we was far more up for the fight against Leicester.....we turned up in lounge suits and crocodile skinned shoes, they turned up in boiler suits and working clothes.

• Like 2

What always disappoints me is we never adapt to a game, we put a team out and play that way and only that way. Leeds made a change after 20 mins when they could see a problem and went on to target cash to provide the route to most off our downfall. Cash was not to blame but the lack of help he received was amount to a kid getting a school dinner from the government. We all know if you run through the middle at that defence a gaping hole appears, bielsa knew it and exploited it. Tactics are a major part of the game we just do not use it.

Â