Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

37 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Cash battled hard. But was over run why did he get over run, because Trezguet and Watkins were pressing high and Jack wasn't. This made it easy to play through our press and then Trezguet is in no man's land while Leeds are swarming all over us. This lead to our downfall. 

To be fair to the lads. Until the first goal it was quite an even game we also had a few good chances, and the first half was very even.

I was hoping we would get out of the block fast in the second half, but we allowed them too jump all over us.

Jack was poor tonight. Totally justified Southgates preference of Mount over him, with his lackadaisical approach to his defensive responsibilities. His passing was also poor tonight.

We were out worked tonight, but we probably shouldn't have tried to match their work rate and instead made it harder difficult for them to get through us. McGinn also had a poor game. Their midfielders were fully prepared for his habits, and he passed to ball poorly. 

Since the Liverpool game it seems like McGinn is looking for that defence splitting pass all the time when he should be playing the simple ball more often.

Douglas Luiz is the only reason it was only 3 In the end, as once we went a goal down we were wide open and gifting them possession.

The ref was poor. Bamford was fouling Konsa persistently. The twist of the ankle (according to the rubbish biased commentators) from Bamford was actually a blatant dive and worthy of a yellow card.

Deano got his approach all wrong. Why try to match the workrate of the hardest working team in the league? He should've been making us hard to play through and looking to keep possession as much as possible. Should've told Trezguet to hold position in front of cash and only close down in his own half. McGinn should also have been helping cash but was no where near him. Barkley spent half of his time defending the left flank in place of Jack.

The discipline which was very good against Leicester was nowhere to be seen here.

Douglas 7

Cash 7

Konsa 6.5

Watkins 6.5

Everyone else 3.

Well said sir.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't know why Leeds attacked down Cash side all the time. If they read the forum they'd know Targett is terrible but all the times Cash got done it was the other pantomime villain Trezeguet's fault allegedly

Trezguet is the guy you expect to help cash, but he was never there as Leeds continuously drew him out and then played it in behind him. This was not simply Trezguets fault as Jack didn't press or track runners back and made it easier for the Leeds defense. If your pressing high up is getting you into trouble you restrict your pressing to your own half and get your wingers to hold their defensive shape.

If anything, Villa and Smith need to learn from in this game in having an effective strategy for how to play fitter, better passing sides. Easier said than done obviously, because those sides do tend to just be better and win more, but Leeds have now shown other teams how to beat Villa, so Smith needs a plan B.

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

They outnumbered cash. If it was Guilbert on the pitch it would have  been done and dusted at half time. Well I thought Bamford should have seen a yellow for fouls on Konsa or the blatant dive in the box. I thought the ref allowed Leeds to be very aggressive and get away with fouls, and give a ticking off when a yellow was I  order. So I do think the ref had an effect on the game. Not decisive however.

It was a even game up until the first goal. The main concern before the first goal was how easy they got behind Trezguet and got one on one and two on one on cash. Deano should've made the adjustment but didn't. Also Barkley had to do Jack's defending which certainly didn't help.

They had secured the initiative right from the off until the 93rd minute and they were still closing us down 3-0 up in the dying seconds.

They out worked us and by doing so stopped us playing....in contrast we allowed them to play by standing off and offering huge space for them to play in....as the game grew on, frustration levels built and it was echoes of pre lock down.

I am not sure if Dean could have changed it, but it was clear in desperation we was looking for an outlet up front to hold the ball  and Ollie is not an out an out target man.

I thought too many of our lot tonight was out muscled and stood off and this yielded the initiative.....They are an aggressive team who are quick to the ball and quick to move it.....we have to learn not to be so open.

40 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We were out worked tonight, but we probably shouldn't have tried to match their work rate and instead made it harder difficult for them to get through us

This sums it up.  I’ve only watched Leeds 4 times this season but I expected the same kind of pressure we would from Liverpool. There is no chance we could out play them. Why we didn’t set up or play with the same intensity as we did against Liverpool is beyond me. Is it because it’s only Leeds? Who the F are Leeds etc. I don’t know. But that’s the most disappointing part for me. 

A team that finished top 7 two seasons in a row pretty much parked the bus the other day and got three points. I gets that’s how they play but sometimes you have to adapt to your opponent. We didn’t do that today and it was costly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Really? People are so disappointed for a number of reasons.

This is against a team who have just got promoted and are playing in the prem for the first time. We have improved so much from last season and have looked the part in every game we have played so far this season, yet today, after the high standards we have set, we were so far off the pace and second best for most of the game.

I am very disappointed, with the performance and the result.

I do not like being second best like we were tonight. Not for one bit.

Shame, but they were far more intense than we were, just because they have just been promoted doesn’t stop them being better than us which they clearly were tonight, there is a chance you might have to get used to being disappointed, let’s see how the coaches and players respond.

1 minute ago, smg said:

Shame, but they were far more intense than we were, just because they have just been promoted doesn’t stop them being better than us which they clearly were tonight, there is a chance you might have to get used to being disappointed, let’s see how the coaches and players respond.

I think this is the most disappointing thing about today’s game. I think some of our players felt the same way as our fans. 

• Like 1

Leeds deserves to win that. We’re the better team at 0-0, but we weren’t bad up to 0-0. We were in the game and created three good goal a scoring chances. 

bamfords finishing was clinical 

I don’t believe we should have changed a four game winning approach for the game. 

there are many lessons to learn from this but I disagree with fans saying we were poor etc

2 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

Leeds deserves to win that. We’re the better team at 0-0, but we weren’t bad up to 0-0. We were in the game and created three good goal a scoring chances. 

I don’t believe we should have changed a four game winning approach for the game. 

there are many lessons to learn from this but I disagree with fans saying we were poor etc

Nah paji we were poor second half. We’re much better than that. Have to bounce back with a strong performance against Southampton.

3 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

We were not that poor to the point they scored from then on though we never looked like getting back into it? Half time came to soon tbh

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s a tough one Tro. Do you let the team continue to play as we have been or do you change it to deal with the threat of a newly promoted team. I personally think we should have changed it but easy to say in hindsight. We better not try and play that way against city! I think most other teams we’ll be alright. 

Leeds are going to shock a lot of teams this season. 

We said that about Sheff Utd last season and we couldn't match their work rate.....yes they will shock a few teams this seasons.

Teams that have an intense appetite to work as hard as they do...win the right to play football and that is exactly what they did.

I predicted to a mate of mine that Leeds would win on the very basis of what happened, wasn't sure it would be that emphatic though.....It was the first goal that actually killed us, and our belief dipped, but it was the collective team effort of intensity that was missing tonight and certain players got exposed, because of it......I can't actually remember us tackling any one or stopping a passage of play......off the ball we was horrible and they stopped us getting on it.

If we can't identify, what went wrong tonight, I think we are in for some mixed results.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This sums it up.  I’ve only watched Leeds 4 times this season but I expected the same kind of pressure we would from Liverpool. There is no chance we could out play them. Why we didn’t set up or play with the same intensity as we did against Liverpool is beyond me. Is it because it’s only Leeds? Who the F are Leeds etc. I don’t know. But that’s the most disappointing part for me. 

A team that finished top 7 two seasons in a row pretty much parked the bus the other day and got three points. I gets that’s how they play but sometimes you have to adapt to your opponent. We didn’t do that today and it was costly.

remember the old adage......" you have to win the right to play football"......we went out to play right from the off and it was them that secured the initiative.....shades of early last season, but with better players.

Just now, TRO said:

We said that about Sheff Utd last season and we couldn't match their work rate.....yes they will shock a few teams this seasons.

Teams that have an intense appetite to work as hard as they do...win the right to play football and that is exactly what they did.

I predicted to a mate of mine that Leeds would win on the very basis of what happened, wasn't sure it would be that emphatic though.....It was the first goal that actually killed us, and our belief dipped, but it was the collective team effort of intensity that was missing tonight and certain players got exposed, because of it......I can't actually remember us tackling any one or stopping a passage of play......off the ball we was horrible and they stopped us getting on it.

If we can't identify, what went wrong tonight, I think we are in for some mixed results.

I never got the Sheffield United Hype to be honest. They were very sold and hard to break down rather than out playing their opponents. 

Im disappointed because we just played a team that had higher Possession percentage against both Liverpool and City. What did we honestly expect? 

The players and manager got this one wrong. Simple as. As I’ve said lets just learn from it and bounce back against Southampton. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

They had secured the initiative right from the off until the 93rd minute and they were still closing us down 3-0 up in the dying seconds.

They out worked us and by doing so stopped us playing....in contrast we allowed them to play by standing off and offering huge space for them to play in....as the game grew on, frustration levels built and it was echoes of pre lock down.

I am not sure if Dean could have changed it, but it was clear in desperation we was looking for an outlet up front to hold the ball  and Ollie is not an out an out target man.

I thought too many of our lot tonight was out muscled and stood off and this yielded the initiative.....They are an aggressive team who are quick to the ball and quick to move it.....we have to learn not to be so open.

From around the 15th minute to the 35 minute  I thought we shaded them. Out working the hardest working team in the league isn't going to happen.

When one or two press when the rest hold position, thats when those gaps appear. Leeds exploited that. Leeds press as a team which makes their press so effective.

Our passing was poor and we never really tried to pass out from the back. Hitting it long appeared to be the gameplan. To not risk playing out for fear of being caught by their press.

So I don’t think were dominated from start to finish. They did indeed stop us playing for large parts. Hitting long from the back, and looking for defence splitting through balls every time we got the ball as always going to mean gifting Leeds a lot of ball. So if that's how you are going to play you have to be organised and disciplined defensively. Make yourselves hard to play through. We didn’t do that.

Â