Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leeds

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Didn’t get to see that because I was taking part in a big family zoom meeting - discreetly keeping in touch via BBC sports app. It looked as if we were well and truly battered. How we recover from this is a real test.

I will reserve judgment.

On the basis of what I read on the app I give Martinez MOTM, Smith poor and the ref good.

The ref was poor. Martinez was decent. We got battered once we went a goal down and give Leeds the freedom of villa park. Smith should have had a word with Trezguet to hold his position and give cash some help. Instead he did nothing. Biesla changed their defensive midfielder on 20 minutes. Clearly Biesla owned Smith tonight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

C'mon mate, that's just not the Villa way. We crush dreams, not realise them!

I know, I shouldn't have expected anything different! 

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I'm surprised people are disappointed. It had to come to an end eventually because none of our opponents so far have dealt out that level of intensity. For some years (even when we were shit), we've occasionally looked good when there's not much pressure and the opposition has let us play a bit. You might even argue that's also why playing behind closed doors has helped us. No pressure.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I agree, it was never going to last but it would have been nice to win tonight and go top of the league. Even if its just for a week or so. Just that league table with us at the summit would have been nice to see.

Really? People are so disappointed for a number of reasons.

This is against a team who have just got promoted and are playing in the prem for the first time. We have improved so much from last season and have looked the part in every game we have played so far this season, yet today, after the high standards we have set, we were so far off the pace and second best for most of the game.

I am very disappointed, with the performance and the result.

I do not like being second best like we were tonight. Not for one bit.

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

This is against a team who have just got promoted and are playing in the prem for the first time. We have improved so much from last season and have looked the part in every game we have played so far this season, yet today, after the high standards we have set, we were so far off the pace and second best for most of the game.

You're not supposed to like it, I'm just saying if you come up against a much more aggressive, clinical and impressively one touch opponent, you can't be that surprised if they beat you. Maybe 'not being disappointed' is the wrong phrase. I probably meant not surprised. 

• Like 1

Just now, imavillan said:

The same team that dominated Man City for 55 minutes of their game. Leeds are an anomaly. They are not going to be in the relegation battle and they have bought well. Brighton and Leeds are going to be a very good watch as they play similar football. 

Bad result. Poor last 25 minutes. One or two players looked unfit. In hindsight Mcginn and Barkley should have come on for the last 25/30. Nakamba and Traore to start. However games are not played on hindsight. We just need to learn and I'm glad we've had this wake up call now and not later on in the season. 

We need to press quicker especially in the middle third. And we need to shoot quicker. Leeds had alot of shots from outside our box. 

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The ref was poor. Martinez was decent. We got battered once we went a goal down and give Leeds the freedom of villa park. Smith should have had a word with Trezguet to hold his position and give cash some help. Instead he did nothing. Biesla changed their defensive midfielder on 20 minutes. Clearly Biesla owned Smith tonight.

I give a ref good if they don’t have any impact on the game/result and it seemed that was the case tonight.

I note Cash got the highest vote but the BBC thought he was overrun. As I say, I can only base my judgments on what the BBC app said.

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hate when people bring up shite like this.

What the **** does that have to do with my point and THIS game?

Is that what he is meant to say to Ollie and Deano after the match - or each time he does something like that?

Sometimes fans need to temporarily pull their heads out of the depths of Jacks arsehole to recognise constructive criticism.

No player is perfect, examples like the above, are one of his biggest weaknesses - and it costs us sometimes.

" Jack, you really should have given that to Ollie, or Matt, they were wide open and in much better positions to score than you" 

" Ahh so what, I'm Mr Aston Villa and the best player you'll ever have, I created the most chances in Europe last season, probably wouldn;t even be Premier League without me, so piss off"

" Did you see that incredible run I just made where I almost scored by the way? "

It’s exactly the point. He’s has a particular style, one which has made him the most successful chance creator in the league.  It doesn’t always come off. Tonight was an example

• Like 1

Really disappointed with the team today. We were so open it was a joke. They are a very good team and were going to have a lot of the ball but we didn’t give them anywhere near the respect they deserved. Yes they are not Liverpool but we shouldn’t need to have to play against the champions to be able to close space and work hard. Deserved to lose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Far play to Leeds, they outworked us, out thought us, bullied us and once they'd broken us they completely outplayed us.

We were dreadful, no intensity and no composure. You have to fight to win games in this division and we didn't give anything like enough.

I'd question our mentality too - after the first goal we pretty much threw the towel in - Mings had lost it with Bamford and our concentration went to pieces.

Harrison completely dominated Cash and Barkley gave the ball away too easily and too often, but it's not a night for picking on individuals - we were collectively not good enough - half arsed rubbish in the second half. 

It's a young side and they have lessons to learn - here's one.

very good resume.....my take is :

The first goal killed us.....but imo it was always coming, sure we missed some, but in boxing terms we was "outpointed" they turned the ball over by closing us down with multiple men and our response was to give them acres of space to play exquisite passes, we in response never closed them down and our passing was always under duress.....that is down to work rate and intensity and they had it in abundance....Once the physical battle was won they went about applying their technical stuff and it was very impressive.

Leeds were undoubtedly very, very good,tonight  but they all are if you let them be.....and IMO we let them be.

They won the midfield and set about Isolating Jack and he only had snips to work off....that was their main tactic in securing the initiative, once that was secure they pummelled us down the flanks and the game was lost.

They looked far fitter than us and shades of pre lockdown reared its ugly head for me.....Its all about reaction now and we will see where that takes us.

Its an inevitable reaction to say we have 12 points and how good is that, its true......but we will see how we bounce back.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'm not going to begrudge Jack shooting for that run btw.

You should it was magnificent but a teammate was in a better position to score. He is the captain ( leader after all) and the team comes first.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I give a ref good if they don’t have any impact on the game/result and it seemed that was the case tonight.

I note Cash got the highest vote but the BBC thought he was overrun. As I say, I can only base my judgments on what the BBC app said.

They outnumbered cash. If it was Guilbert on the pitch it would have  been done and dusted at half time. Well I thought Bamford should have seen a yellow for fouls on Konsa or the blatant dive in the box. I thought the ref allowed Leeds to be very aggressive and get away with fouls, and give a ticking off when a yellow was I  order. So I do think the ref had an effect on the game. Not decisive however.

It was a even game up until the first goal. The main concern before the first goal was how easy they got behind Trezguet and got one on one and two on one on cash. Deano should've made the adjustment but didn't. Also Barkley had to do Jack's defending which certainly didn't help.

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not just the fans. Bamford mentioned 'myth' in his post match interview, Phillips tweeted Gabby about the result and the official Leeds United twitter account screenshot Gabby's comments and made reference to them. 

I know Gabby is partly doing it as part of his Talksport mandate to be controversial but he really wrote the team-talk for Leeds tonight. 

Nothing wrong with him being massively pro-Villa but i'd rather he didn't mock other teams as it'll only make him look even more stupid. 

He should just keep his mouth shut, he has nothing to add to the club anymore, just like his last few seasons as a very well payed player, even though he never actually played that often.

Jack has to shoot after that run. It would have been one of the greatest premier league goals in history. Problem is you have to score. Nobody will remember runs like that apart from villa fans that watch his YouTube videos. 

As for Leeds I watched it with my best mate that supports Leeds. He said to me since Bielsa took over not once have they ever said the players gave up or didn’t give 100% no matter what the final result.  That was the most disappointing thing for me today and no doubt will be for Smith.

Important to bounce back against Southampton.

• Like 1

I think trying to pick a MOTM pretty much sums up the whole team performance really. I gave it to Cash for sticking gamely at the task of being left 1 on 1 a criminal number of times throughout the evening. This despite the fact that all their good moments stemmed from Harrison down the left.

Think we need to be magnanimous in defeat. We owe ourselves that after 4 wins on the spin. We also owe Leeds that. I hate them with a passion but they were very good tonight. Particularly once they went in front.

On other nights, one of our chances goes in and it's a different ending to the game but we have to take this one on the chin and it's all about how we recover next time out.

It was a tale of two strikers for me too, ours looked lost. Theirs was on fire. No denying that. Whether you think he's a pr1ck or not. We were over run in midfield. Out muscled in all areas of the pitch. Had no cover to the full backs. At least Jack we know can do things the other way. Trez was the Trez of old, from minute 1 he was very poor. 

Ah well we move on, we don't become a shit team after one game and we don't win the league after 4. Hope our fan base (& Gabby) get some perspective back.

UTV 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am taking nothing away from Leeds at all.....but in my opinion, they were made to look good by the amount of open space we afforded them....it was criminal at times.

Yes 100% agree. we knew what Leeds would bring but we never looked up for the battle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am taking nothing away from Leeds at all.....but in my opinion, they were made to look good by the amount of open space we afforded them....it was criminal at times.

It’s a tough one Tro. Do you let the team continue to play as we have been or do you change it to deal with the threat of a newly promoted team. I personally think we should have changed it but easy to say in hindsight. We better not try and play that way against city! I think most other teams we’ll be alright. 

Leeds are going to shock a lot of teams this season. 

Â