Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You're all over the place here. You said that Barkley's still a midfielder, as if it were one position 😐 He's clearly changed roles this season and you don't seem willing or able to concede that he's not the same player as before.

No.... I'm not all over the place at all. Yes there are several midfield positions however, they're still in midfield which is what you initially dismissed with the silly gif rather than come back to me with a more sensible response. As for him changing roles, he may well have done, and yes, it may well have aided in the apparent upturn in his form at Luton. However, the standards he showed last time he was here were in no way at the required level required in the team we are now. We were at best a middling side with a number of bang average players that would never make it in the current set up. 

Now Barkley if signed may well have a genuine positive impact in the current set up, nobody is denying he hasn't talent in some ways. Can he apply that talent at our level.... imo the jury is very much out. As for taking in, what Luton fans see, I'd rather not tbh. The same fanbase were absolutely raving and put Nakamba on some sort of pedestal last season, and let's be fair, we already knew how limited he was/is. 

Look I'm not trying to fall out with people on this issue, quite the opposite, but I have do have reservations based on what I've seen previously and for the fact his impact, although positive this season has been at a pretty shit Luton Town who now find themselves back in the championship.

We've a massive season ahead of us and I think most if not all the fanbase realise that we need to upgrade the squad for the challenges ahead, now we can say we need more depth but imo that depth will come with injured players coming back and improvements in the starting 11 if we can recruit the right players. Is Ross Barkley one of those, time will tell.   

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's my other thing.

Based on the combination of his role change, responsibility , maturity, performance levels, AND the Manager we now have, there is a higher chance of him doing better, than worse.

We've got some players with arguably less natural ability who have looked electric at times for us under Unai

I reckon Unai could turn him into an exceptional ball playing DM. We need someone to play the kamara role so we get our best Doug back.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

tbh, when i first saw this link i just thought it was a bad joke or the usual rubbish reporting.

I also nearly fell off my chair when i saw it seemed to be a genuine link, and i have to say i had a scowl on my face that probably looked like a baby sucking a lemon slice.

On reflection, though, i admit i didnt have a good feeling towards Barkley after his stint here, but the scenario is different now.

When we signed him the first time, he was signed as a marquee signing, a player meant to link with Gresford and help take our club to the next level, to be a key player and a game changer.

He was great for a short stint, and terrible at times, whether that was down to his injury and covid, i dont know.

This time though, its very different, he wouldnt be coming to elevate us to the next level, he would be coming to be a squad player, who can come in and do a job when Emery needs him, or to play in certain games where his attributes suit what is needed.

He does have attributes that our current midfield dont, he is strong, physically imposing, skilful, and on his day, a good player, and if Emery can get him playing, a useful player to have at your disposal.

For that reason alone, im actually ok with it, if he can stay fit and do the job we seem to be signing him for, which isnt to be a superstar (this time), but to do a job as part of a squad, he might actually be a decent squad player.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

No.... I'm not all over the place at all. Yes there are several midfield positions however, they're still in midfield which is what you initially dismissed with the silly gif rather than come back to me with a more sensible response. As for him changing roles, he may well have done, and yes, it may well have aided in the apparent upturn in his form at Luton. However, the standards he showed last time he was here were in no way at the required level required in the team we are now. We were at best a middling side with a number of bang average players that would never make it in the current set up. 

Now Barkley if signed may well have a genuine positive impact in the current set up, nobody is denying he hasn't talent in some ways. Can he apply that talent at our level.... imo the jury is very much out. As for taking in, what Luton fans see, I'd rather not tbh. The same fanbase were absolutely raving and put Nakamba on some sort of pedestal last season, and let's be fair, we already knew how limited he was/is. 

Look I'm not trying to fall out with people on this issue, quite the opposite, but I have do have reservations based on what I've seen previously and for the fact his impact, although positive this season has been at a pretty shit Luton Town who now find themselves back in the championship.

We've a massive season ahead of us and I think most if not all the fanbase realise that we need to upgrade the squad for the challenges ahead, now we can say we need more depth but imo that depth will come with injured players coming back and improvements in the starting 11 if we can recruit the right players. Is Ross Barkley one of those, time will tell.   

It was just a gif - I don't really see why you'd take it so personally. They're pretty light-hearted in nature and intention. 

Barkley has been through a lot since he played for us last and it probably took him a fair while to get over the fact that his big move to Chelsea failed. It looks like he's back in the game now and has held his own in the PL this season. You must notice that Luton fans are not saying much about Nakamba now having seen what the PL requires and how he doesn't measure up.

With squad players and depth options we're not going to be signing expensive options - we'll be boxing clever and getting players that Emery believes to have the skills and experience to do that job. 

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

To be that kind of dickish 

6 of those bang average players just got us in the champions league 

IMG-0288.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Just admit you’ve never seen him play for Luton, and we can move on. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

IMG-0288.jpg

Crazy..... I thought I said a number of.... not all. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Just admit you’ve never seen him play for Luton, and we can move on. 

I've watched a few Luton games and he's been okay for them. So what. 

Move on anyway and understand others have a different opinion to yourself ffs. 

People getting far too worked up over this

it does not show a lack of ambition
he is not going to be a replacement for anyone in the first 11

he DOES however give us squad depth and a much needed home grown player for our champions league squad

We can't go signing everyone from the continent.. we won't be able to name them all in the squad

bloody brilliant business if he comes in

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

IMG-0288.jpg

Absolutely insane half of this team is still here, and those who left only Trez has gone onto better things 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Crazy..... I thought I said a number of.... not all. 

Still interesting to know that a majority of that middling side is still at the club and competing in CL football next season. 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Still interesting to know that a majority of that middling side is still at the club and competing in CL football next season. 

Really interesting...especially after being complemented with better players to improve the side that finished 11th, which is pretty much middle of the table. Just like last season, being complemented with a better manager for a team that was languishing in 17th. Very interesting indeed. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Really interesting...especially after being complemented with better players to improve the side that finished 11th, which is pretty much middle of the table. Just like last season, being complemented with a better manager for a team that was languishing in 17th. Very interesting indeed. 

Great that players develop and with supplements of better players and managers they get even better. Amazing to happen at Villa and I hope Ross recent improvement improves us 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

IMG-0288.jpg

We could have 8 of these next season in the Champions League. Crazy really. We'll be linked with a 9th at some point this summer too I reckon, though it won't happen.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

We could have 8 of these next season in the Champions League. Crazy really. We'll be linked with a 9th at some point this summer too I reckon, though it won't happen.

Naa, his wages won’t allow it, probably never will. Also the nation of Egypt won’t let him go 🤭

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Absolutely insane half of this team is still here, and those who left only Trez has gone onto better things 

I see what you did there ;)

He does seem in a much better place but physically and mentally. Didn’t see him too much at Luton but I heard he was their best players. Hopefully we don’t have another Injury crisis and certain squad players end up having to play a lot more games than was originally intended.

No idea if it is just his expression but always kinda thought the same as bits of the old Kelvin Mackenzie article about him (Looks like the lights are off and nobodys home). Just can't see him sitting there going through hours of video & tactics every day

Â