Ross Barkley

LondonLax

33 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd rather Chukwuemeka start than Barkley, genuinely feel it would be great for his experience and I'm certain he'd offer more than Barkley.

i agree but if we are paying 100-120K a week for Ross it's possible there is a pressure to play him.

He did look thoroughly depressed when he came off the pitch yesterday and I do have sympathy for whatever it is that is behind his struggles. Perhaps he had his heart set on making Villa Park his home and its slipping from his grasp. You can sense his pressure and frustration at not being able to deliver. We've seen he can be an excellent player but it's a risky business when as a club we are trying to kick on. If we can get him for a bargain price and sensible wages I see no reason why we shouldnt take that risk however we may already have potential transfer deals half way to being sorted.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

As it's Mental Health Awareness Week, I'm going to call this out.

They won't ease the pain.  They'll be adding to the pressure.  He's an elite athlete who is currently miles off his best and we don't know the reason why.  Maybe he doesn't know the reason why either.

In 2021 there's no excuse for this lazy trope about money being a partial cure for mental distress.

Footballers are human.  They may have different lifestyles to us, but the abuse that gets levelled at players like Ross, Anwar, Trezeguet, even Mings and McGinn, is just absolute bollocks.

That is so OTT its untrue.

How you can align my throw away comment, with that diatribe of Mental Health is baffling in the least....Its comparisons of that nature that create doubts in some peoples minds about the reaction to Mental Health.

I abhor any form of bullying or on line abuse to anybody, not just footballers, but to come out with that "Woke" Nonsense is disappointing from you.....Mental health is a serious issue, that manifests itself in a variety of forms, but don't just jump on bandwagons when an innocent comment is made....my comment was made without malice and to suggest it is, is so wide of the mark, its insulting.

You can call out what you like, but you have gone totally over the top here.

sarky remarks are not abuse, otherwise, we may as well pack up an go home......your reaction is staggering to me.

I am very surprised with your reaction NV.....you have taken it well out of context.....unless you know something about Ross's wellbeing , I don't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, birdman said:

He did look thoroughly depressed when he came off the pitch yesterday and I do have sympathy for whatever it is that is behind his struggles. Perhaps he had his heart set on making Villa Park his home and its slipping from his grasp. You can sense his pressure and frustration at not being able to deliver. We've seen he can be an excellent player but it's a risky business when as a club we are trying to kick on. If we can get him for a bargain price and sensible wages I see no reason why we shouldnt take that risk however we may already have potential transfer deals half way to being sorted.

I feel as sorry for Keinan Davis, who must equally be down about his situation.

some of the comments regarding him must be disappointing to the lad, if he reads them.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2021 at 23:11, NurembergVillan said:

I thought that.  He looks broken.  Like his body can't do the things he expects it to be capable of.  You usually see it with athletes who have aged or suffered serious injury and they just can't do it any more.

I feel like something has happened, physically or mentally, and the coaching staff are giving him every opportunity of trying to rediscover his magic but it's just not coming.

He doesn't need fans slagging him off or calling him a word removed.  He looks like he's his own biggest critic already.  He's only human.

but you have no idea, its just appearance to you....You don't know anymore than I do, what Ross Barkley is going through....He could be laughing his head off at our debate, for all we know.

I am sure a club like ours, if they had any notion of the things your alluding to, they would be on top of it, like a flash and as for playing, he probably wouldn't be.

It is quite wrong to confuse Mental Health issues with more inoccuous forms of set back of feeling down or frustration with yourself.

In fact it does the real issue of Mental Health a disservice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I feel sorry for him. I have never got the desire to rip into him from fans on here. 

Like Keinan Davis you mean?

Fans have criticised players at every club since football began......some of the abuse,players get,  is beyond reason,I agree, but don't compare that with a few sarky remarks.....otherwise no one will feel safe to say a word in angst against a player, for fear of the egg shells, they tread.

There is a difference between abuse and a sarcastic comment don't confuse them .....and don't look for a bandwagon.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

Its  a shame.....but its a ruthless business and you have to stay on top of it....maybe the owners, were crying too, with what they have paid out.

perhaps, his wages will ease the pain.

Biggest Villa flop since Stephen Ireland. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Like Keinan Davis you mean?

Fans have criticised players at every club since football began......some of the abuse,players get,  is beyond reason,I agree, but don't compare that with a few sarky remarks.....otherwise no one will feel safe to say a word in angst against a player, for fear of the egg shells, they tread.

There is a difference between abuse and a sarcastic comment don't confuse them .....and don't look for a bandwagon.

Not sure what Davis has to do with it.

Don't tell me I'm looking for a bandwagon thanks. You've been called out and are getting super defensive. I didn't even mention you. And I've mentioned how unfair the stick Ross gets previously, well before your ignorant post on the matter. 

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have had mental health issues since before I was 5, so about 40 years. It has effected my life massively and I have had to deal with many obstacles because of this. 

Those trying to play the mental health card in defence of Ross are looking for any excuses now, it's so wildly pathetic and downright disrespectful for ordinary people who suffer this shit everyday.

If his mental health is so bad that he can barely jog, barely put in the required effort, if it's so bad that is body language is shit then he should be getting professional help and should be removed from the squad to aid him in getting that help. 

I have to go to work everyday or else I don't earn enough coin to pay the bills, so do millions of other people suffering mental illness. Why is Ross so special, if I put in a poor effort at work no one says oh but Matt is depressed so that's the best he can do. Bullshit, soft headed mentality. And yes if anyone wants to have a go at me, I do feel like with everything I've been through in my life I do have the right to speak.

I have never used my mental health as an excuse for me not giving a f$@k. They're two completely different things.

Ill also add that in his privileged position he would have resources available to him that rest of us would only dream of having. 

Thank you for writing this....I felt really bad about being accused of abuse towards Ross Barkley, when I just made a sarky comment.

I agree with you lines are being blurred here.

I take Mental Health very seriously and have always held a torch for victims of bullying and the like, I think the stuff on Facebook and Instagram is beyond the pale.....but some comparisons are just ridiculous.

its getting to a stage that we won't be able to saying anything, with dark wit or sarcasm, in fear of being branded an abuser.

I have my own Health issues, so I know, what obstacles folk have to endure in life.....but this is just OTT imo.

Blimey, Steve Bruce had dogs abuse, that was wrong didn't hear many folk defend him and so has Keinan Davis.

I believe we have to be really careful not to confuse abuse with a throw away sarky comment.

Thanks again for your view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

I don’t see anybody using mental health as a reason to defend him. I saw a comment (albeit a throwaway one) that suggested that because Ross Barkley makes millions he shouldn’t be struggling with mental health issues.

This comment was rightly picked up on because, whether or not Barkley is struggling with his mental health, the suggestion that someone can’t have mental health issues because they make a load of money is quite frankly ridiculous.

How much money and “resources available” did somebody like Caroline Flack have as an extreme example of a wealthy individual who tragically suffered with her mental health.

I think the important thing is to realise that when you have someone like El Ghazi saying that a Villa season ticket holder is sending him abuse on social media telling him that he hopes he dies that there’s a serious issue with the abuse that some of these players are having to put up with.

The attitude of “He makes loads of money so he’ll be alright” is complete and utter rubbish and I can see why it was contested.

That suggestion is a figment of your imagination.....That was not said or inferred.

Had Ross Barkley, been diagnosed with Mental Health issues, I would have been more careful, for sure.

Its being blown out of all proportion.....The examples you call on to make your point is no comparison to what I wrote, you too are on a bandwagon.

didn't here from you when Steve Bruce was getting Dogs after just losing both parents.....There are real issues of abuse that need stamping out....this is not one. 

I never sent my comments to him directly or put on instagram or face book, its just a pop at me, because its convenient.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure what Davis has to do with it.

Don't tell me I'm looking for a bandwagon thanks. You've been called out and are getting super defensive. I didn't even mention you. And I've mentioned how unfair the stick Ross gets previously, well before your ignorant post on the matter. 

and don't tell me my post is ignorant.

the likes of Davis is being mooted to highlight the double standards, here.....Its ok to criticise him, by some and go with impunity....and because another player is disappointed at being withdrawn, under the cameras, The mental Health act is thrown in my face,by some ....Its OTT.

I am getting defensive for sure, because it is a misrepresentaion of a prominent issue of the day.....(super) is another exaggerated word you choose to use to make your point.....I am offended, not being defensive.

your comments are typical to be honest.....You, too have no idea whatsoever, if Ross Barkley has any issue of any kind, yet you feel obliged to write "ignorant" when it was meant with dry wit.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

That suggestion is a figment of your imagination.....That was not said or inferred.

Had Ross Barkley, been diagnosed with Mental Health issues, I would have been more careful, for sure.

Its being blown out of all proportion.....The examples you call on to make your point is no comparison to what I wrote, you too are on a bandwagon.

didn't here from you when Steve Bruce was getting Dogs after just losing both parents.....There are real issues of abuse that need stamping out....this is not one. 

I never sent my comments to him directly or put on instagram or face book, its just a pop at me, because its convenient.

Just to be clear I have no issue with anything that you’ve said about Ross Barkley specifically. It’s the general point that having loads of money will ease somebody’s mental health issues that I find frustrating. You wouldn’t say the same about someone suffering a physical illness so why should it be any different for a mental illness?

If somebody had said that Steve Bruce or anyone should be putting up with personal abuse because he makes a load of money I’d have been equally frustrated by that so I’m not sure what relevance that has particularly either.

As I said it’s a throwaway comment at the end of one of your posts so it’s not a slight on you, I just can see why people would challenge what you have said there. 

I’m glad to hear that you’re not directly messaging players with abuse but I would imagine they’re receiving plenty of it from others (see El Ghazi and Douglas Luiz for the most recent examples). Nobody is accusing you of doing this but other people are doing it and all the money in the world isn’t going to make players immune from people wishing death on them etc.

I think it’s just a bit of a careless comment to state that someone’s wages will ease their mental health issues and it shouldn’t surprise you that people take issue in it.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

and don't tell me my post is ignorant.

the likes of Davis is being mooted to highlight the double standards, here.....Its ok to criticise him, by some and go with punity....and because another player is disappointed at being withdrawn, under the cameras, The mental Health act is thrown in my face,by some ....Its OTT.

I am getting defensive for sure, because it is a misrepresentaion of a prominent issue of the day.....(super) is another exaggerated word you choose to use to make your point.....I am offended, not being defensive.

your comments are typical to be honest.....You, too have no idea whatsoever, if Ross Barkley has any issue of any kind, yet you feel obliged to write "ignorant" when it was meant with dry wit.

I have no idea why you jumped on my post to tell me I was looking for a bandwagon. No where did I mention you or respond to you. And now you're going on the attack again. 

You made an ignorant comment about money easing mental health issues and it was rightly called out. Learn from it and move on. 

Going on an offensive against people who weren't even talking about your comment isn't doing much to help your cause. 

I've got no interest in discussing this further with you. 

8 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Just to be clear I have no issue with anything that you’ve said about Ross Barkley specifically. It’s the general point that having loads of money will ease somebody’s mental health issues that I find frustrating. You wouldn’t say the same about someone suffering a physical illness so why should it be any different for a mental illness?

If somebody had said that Steve Bruce or anyone should be putting up with personal abuse because he makes a load of money I’d have been equally frustrated by that so I’m not sure what relevance that has particularly either.

As I said it’s a throwaway comment at the end of one of your posts so it’s not a slight on you, I just can see why people would challenge what you have said there. 

I’m glad to hear that you’re not directly messaging players with abuse but I would imagine they’re receiving plenty of it from others (see El Ghazi and Douglas Luiz for the most recent examples). Nobody is accusing you of doing this but other people are doing it and all the money in the world isn’t going to make players immune from people wishing death on them etc.

I think it’s just a bit of a careless comment to state that someone’s wages will ease their mental health issues and it shouldn’t surprise you that people take issue in it.

No, I do take issue with it.

You keep saying Mental Health issues.....you have no evidence that Ross Barkley has Mental Health issues, but continue to refer to it......equally, I have no evidence, he hasn't......If I was of the slightest doubt, I would not of referred to his wages.

I accept, it wasn't one of my better lines, but I feel the reaction is mean and misrepresentative of my true self.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I don’t see anybody using mental health as a reason to defend him. I saw a comment (albeit a throwaway one) that suggested that because Ross Barkley makes millions he shouldn’t be struggling with mental health issues.

This comment was rightly picked up on because, whether or not Barkley is struggling with his mental health, the suggestion that someone can’t have mental health issues because they make a load of money is quite frankly ridiculous.

How much money and “resources available” did somebody like Caroline Flack have as an extreme example of a wealthy individual who tragically suffered with her mental health.

I think the important thing is to realise that when you have someone like El Ghazi saying that a Villa season ticket holder is sending him abuse on social media telling him that he hopes he dies that there’s a serious issue with the abuse that some of these players are having to put up with.

The attitude of “He makes loads of money so he’ll be alright” is complete and utter rubbish and I can see why it was contested.

I never brought money into it, because that is a crap reason. Musicians, actors all commit suicide no matter how rich they are. I mentioned his privileged position in regards to the fact he would have access to help if he wanted it, not everyone has that same opportunity. 

And I did read a post that touched a nerve that wasn't directed at me or anything like that. It shall remain anonymous and I deliberately didn't quote it.

If Ross has personal issues that he is struggling with he deserves, as anyone else does, the right to seek help and get back on track. 

That is, however, not a justifiable excuse for the utter crap he has served up on multiple occasions. 

Edit: I re-read my post, my reference to my income was based on me not having a choice, it didn't mean that because Ross is rich that he can't suffer from mental illness. That would be a ridiculous and ignorant assumption.

The moral of my point is that I believe Ross could've harder for longer and more often and no excuse will change my mind.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have no idea why you jumped on my post to tell me I was looking for a bandwagon. No where did I mention you or respond to you. And now you're going on the attack again. 

You made an ignorant comment about money easing mental health issues and it was rightly called out. Learn from it and move on. 

Going on an offensive against people who weren't even talking about your comment isn't doing much to help your cause. 

I've got no interest in discussing this further with you. 

If the cap fits wear it.....if it doesn't fit, then I apologise.

Maybe your post about fans abusing was just picked up by me at the wrong time and I put 2 & 2 together.

If that is not the case, I withdraw my comments to you.

Â