Ross Barkley

LondonLax

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You still have to have a dig don't you. I responded to @Keybladebecause I agreed with his point that the stick given to Barkley has been well over the top at times. 

Nothing to do with your post. Nothing to do with you. Calm down.

like I say, if it doesn't apply to me, then I apologise.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I feel as sorry for Keinan Davis, who must equally be down about his situation.

some of the comments regarding him must be disappointing to the lad, if he reads them.

Indeed. I'm constantly surprised he gets slated when has had so little game time. Give him a few months starting games then judge. Whether he would get that chance is another matter but personally think he's done well enough. Certainly no worse than some of our other regular players. 

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes. Look at his career. He came through at Everton and was their great hope and prospect. He moved to Chelsea and instead of progressing further, found himself left out and sidelined. Wanting to get his career back on the rails and return to the England team he came to Villa. He started well, got injured, then came the covid break and illness. When he got back into the side he was covering distance, but the form was gone completely. It sparked back for a game, but then dropped again. He knows that more than anyone else. He knows the aim of England has disappeared. His ambition has been thwarted. That’s going to hurt and it’s visible in his demeanour.

The standards in the Premier league are ridiculously high in terms of demand for skill, ability, fitness, effort, concentration, consistency and all the rest of it. Ditto the England side. Add in the condensed schedule of games, illness and injury and my sympathy towards players and managers is greater than for a normal season. As lucky as they all are to have such fantastic jobs and wages the demands on them are seriously high and that needs to be understood.

Couple all that with us normal folk, desperate for distraction and joy in this time of lockdowns and restrictions on our freedom and of illness and so on perhaps obsessing even more on football and our teams and players and you have another factor of pressure on the players. The clubs are all making losses, players contracts are running down and ending and they are competing for renewals in a time of less money. Those deemed surplus to requirements may have to drop down a level…but down a level everyone is really skint and can’t afford to take them on.  It’s an uncertain world for everyone.

The players are young, healthy, well paid beyond imagination, but they are also just as human as us pond life swimming around in our COVID swamp.

TL:DR - be nice, be understanding. Enjoy football, don’t let it make you angry or mean.

It might be worth, casting those same thoughts to our owners too, who provide the transfer fee's and wages for the Football club....They put their money, reputation and judgment on the line.

Personally, I am so damn grateful, to them.

It was not so long ago we was in financial difficulty , not knowing how to satisfy the Inland Revenue. ..and not knowing if we were going to continue to function.....That's stress for some.....I am not saying our owners are on the breadline, but they are entitled to expect value for money and ROI.

Running a big club like Aston Villa will cause some staff and has caused sleepless nights, spare a thought for them too....Many losing their jobs, some in senior positions....but camera's don't see that, do they?

Its not just football players who suffer stress, is my point and was when I originally made the point, albeit in a sarky way.

I don't want to see any player, look down, after a match, I want them to be Bouyant.

40 minutes ago, birdman said:

Give him a few months starting games then judge. Whether he would get that chance is another matter but personally think he's done well enough. Certainly no worse than some of our other regular players. 

He's judged every time he steps onto the field, like every player. In no way has he done well enough to start in front of anyone, with the current standard being so low that when he doesn't tread on the ball and fall over, pass it to the opposition or chuck his kit into the stands when subbed off he's applauded by some. It's sad, as has been mentioned over and over, but debate on this player now looks academic.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to see any player, look down, after a match, I want them to be Bouyant.

I dunno. One thing that's stuck with me for ever is I went to a game at the Hawthorns I the early 80s I guess and Sid did a back-pass that they scored from, and either got a win or draw from. Going home after, I had the radio on, and Sid (to his credit) was getting interviewed and he was absolutely gutted to have messed up, really despondent. But next game he was back to being brilliant Sid - so I think the thing is it's good to know the players care, it's good that they get down after losing or after making a mistake  - it's human. If they didn't get down, they wouldn't care, and if they don't care, then they should do something else.

So I guess it's perspective really. Be disappointed and gutted, but get over the natural disappointment. The worry would be if it affects someone's health over a period, and for me that's where these sad sacks on Insta or twitter getting all personally abusive (or even the odd numpty at matches) need to get a grip on what they're doing.

I'm not big on taking offence on other people's behalf, kind of thing but I like that a throw away comment that was made with no malice can be picked up on and someone say "d'you know what  - that's probably not the wisest thing you've ever said" and the result be that the person who made the comment then thinks "yeah, I didn't mean any offence, but I get it". So credit all round, really.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

He's judged every time he steps onto the field, like every player. In no way has he done well enough to start in front of anyone, with the current standard being so low that when he doesn't tread on the ball and fall over, pass it to the opposition or chuck his kit into the stands when subbed off he's applauded by some. It's sad, as has been mentioned over and over, but debate on this player now looks academic.

My comments were regarding Keinan if you follow the thread. Sorry for the confusion! Lol

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I dunno. One thing that's stuck with me for ever is I went to a game at the Hawthorns I the early 80s I guess and Sid did a back-pass that they scored from, and either got a win or draw from. Going home after, I had the radio on, and Sid (to his credit) was getting interviewed and he was absolutely gutted to have messed up, really despondent. But next game he was back to being brilliant Sid - so I think the thing is it's good to know the players care, it's good that they get down after losing or after making a mistake  - it's human. If they didn't get down, they wouldn't care, and if they don't care, then they should do something else.

So I guess it's perspective really. Be disappointed and gutted, but get over the natural disappointment. The worry would be if it affects someone's health over a period, and for me that's where these sad sacks on Insta or twitter getting all personally abusive (or even the odd numpty at matches) need to get a grip on what they're doing.

I'm not big on taking offence on other people's behalf, kind of thing but I like that a throw away comment that was made with no malice can be picked up on and someone say "d'you know what  - that's probably not the wisest thing you've ever said" and the result be that the person who made the comment then thinks "yeah, I didn't mean any offence, but I get it". So credit all round, really.

Thanks Pete....but I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Whatever the issue might be, we need to move on. It’s a shame as I was excited about this signing but if we are honest and look at his history and our own history with this type of signing, it was always going to be like this.

We have to avoid this kind of player who falls into the Richards/Lescott mould. That era was horrendous and hopefully we learnt a lesson. Hopefully this is also a reminder that top club cast offs just literally never ever work out for us.

• Like 1

He was excellent to begin with. Really made a difference. His injury really knocked the stuffing out of him. Didn't he have covid as well?

• Like 3

I like Ross. I don't mind him sometimes it doesn't work out. However no one deny can the impact he would have had at bodymoor heath. Seeing his skill , technique etc would have helped some of the players improve. 

Wish him well in whatever he does. I hope his career isn't a waste and he can perform solidly.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Didn’t work out wont hold grudges thanks for gaining us a few points this season, however I don’t want to see you in a Villa shirt again good luck Ross.

This is what i want to see us fans be like! Please stay away from comments as "sod off"

• Like 1

I watched quite a lot of Brenford last season and Bryan Mbeumo was brilliant for them all season, then caught covid and looked a completely different player afterwards, his drop off in form was probably one of the biggest contributing factors to them not getting promoted. So when you get it and get it bad it's going to have serious consequences on athletic performance, it's not just an excuse, I think pretty much every team that has had an outbreak has seen their form suffer as a result.

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Didn’t work out wont hold grudges thanks for gaining us a few points this season, however I don’t want to see you in a Villa shirt again good luck Ross.

I can see him at Palace.

A manager like Frank ( rumoured ) and a new setting with a little less pressure might suit him.

Still London as well.

Shame how it worked out but his involvement at the heart of one of the best periods I can remember following Villa is something I'll no doubt look back on with fondness. All the best to him.

Â