Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s crazy that this news only came about within the past 24 hours and we’re already at 276 pages for the thread. 

Something very fishy about it

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

If this is going ahead I'll look on the bright side. Whoscored ratings are pure stat based. His season average is 7.05. Only Watkins in our squad betters that this season. Knows the league. If basically free transfer and say replacement for Zaniolo then absolutely yes. If PSR means making signings like this and not selling likes of Ramsey then absolutely yes. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I've heard him get a lot of praise this season. He has that bit of quality on the ball. But how is energy, his pressing?

Based on this season at Luton, i've read a fair bit on how he really upped his game in that department. Bit of a workhorse apparently. That was probably his main issue during the loan spell so if he has improved on that, he will be a decent pickup.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They still had Marvellous or Lokanga playing the DM role though.

I can only think we've seen what a big miss Tielemans is when he hasn't played in last three months so we're just trying to find a low cost option who has many of his attributes and Barkley probably does.

I just don't like the feeling we could decide as the summer goes on that any DM we want is just going to cost too much in fee and/or wages and we'd then just decide to go with this for first half of the season:

Luiz          Tielemans 

Barkley    McGinn

It’s VERY early days, transfer aren’t necessarily completed in order or preference of priority or need… plus the window hasn’t officially opened and it’s a good time to agree and pick up any frees or low cost deals.

There really is no basis or need to feel pessimistic, worried, anxious or negative. Let’s see what happens and try to enjoy it. Look what we have achieved…

Nothing to suggest we won’t spend on a quality DM or any other player, long way to go and we will just have to wait see how things pan out. Trust in Monchi and Unai…

It’s going to be very busy imo. I expect some ruthlessness with players not up to standard or not reliable enough being shifted asap and proper upgrades being brought in. We are taking a big step up now to CL and need the squad for it, no passengers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think due to the low fee and that he will be playing more than most of us think, unai will offer him between 90000-120000 per week. He isn’t a young player and you can’t have these huge discrepancies in salary between senior members of the squad, that will be recognised and unai won’t want avoidable discord….so he will treble or quadruple his salary and still play plenty of games for us this season as we aren’t quite at the level where he will be permanent fixture on the bench like at some teams …. Sensible signing 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Dude has been passed around like a bong at a university party. Has had a lot of bad luck in his career.

At first I hated the idea because of how he was when he was here the first time, but after doing a bit of actual research he could be a great fit as Kamara backup. 

And with FFP we are saving ourselves a bunch of money and I think he might give us a reasonable deal in order to be able to play CL - another unsung benefit.

When I first saw the rumours my initial reaction was to laugh and think "wow, we'd never be that stupid" .... but after reading the last few pages I've warmed to the idea a lot. If we leave aside the history he already has with the club, I think there's a lot to like about this transfer - I'd be pretty excited about picking up Luton's best player on the cheap under normal circumstances. 

Question is about contract length, really - if we can get him on a two year contract that'd be great. Hopefully he'd be willing to be flexible given he's 30 and he's not likely to get any other chance to play at a CL club.

No man steps in the same river twice.....

We are a different team and he is a different player than before. I have no doubt this would be a good signing.

Just wish he'd crack a smile every now and then - got a touch of the Ayew's about him!

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Always rated Bass Carpley

So did I, but the scale of expectancy needs to be higher

• Haha 1

He was actually really good for us in a few games, the 7-2 for one. Then he hobbled off with calf injury or something and that was that. I'm usually against bringing back former players but would have him x 1000000 over Tammy that I still see mentioned

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

He was actually really good for us in a few games, the 7-2 for one. Then he hobbled off with calf injury or something and that was that. I'm usually against bringing back former players but would have him x 1000000 over Tammy that I still see mentioned

He was also good in the 3-2 defeat against Burnley after his injury. He and Grealish were linking up really well and terrorizing their defenders in the first half as I recall. It was downhill after that though, I wonder if he had long covid or something because he just couldn't run in the second half of that season.

12 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

He was also good in the 3-2 defeat against Burnley after his injury. He and Grealish were linking up really well and terrorizing their defenders in the first half as I recall. It was downhill after that though, I wonder if he had long covid or something because he just couldn't run in the second half of that season.

And his winning goal against Leicester that season. We need a squad, he isn’t that exciting as a signing but if we have a fit and happy Barkley to come on off the bench then that’s better than where we are now. 

Can't remember where I have heard or read this but it's believed that he is on £30,000 a week at Luton. I suppose that adds to the appeal also as I'm not sure will be offering anything in the region of £100,000 a week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Can't remember where I have heard or read this but it's believed that he is on £30,000 a week at Luton. I suppose that adds to the appeal also as I'm not sure will be offering anything in the region of £100,000 a week.

Yes heard that in a couple of places. Makes sense given their wage structure.

• Like 1

Supply and demand, Barkley has had a great season in a poor team and in a position which is important on the pitch….we won’t be the only club in for him and you can bet that he will have offers that approach the 100k per week mark due to PSR and clubs not having to pay a fee, plus the undoubted skill Barkley has. 

Man Utd would probably give him a 5 year deal on 150k per week or something lmao 🤣 

50 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Dude has been passed around like a bong at a university party. Has had a lot of bad luck in his career.

At first I hated the idea because of how he was when he was here the first time, but after doing a bit of actual research he could be a great fit as Kamara backup. 

And with FFP we are saving ourselves a bunch of money and I think he might give us a reasonable deal in order to be able to play CL - another unsung benefit.

No.  I can't see him as a backup to Kamara.  Although Ross has upped the defensive side of his game - he's still more effective as a deep lying playmaker (IMO obviously) than a ball playing DCM.  I see him more as a backup to Dougie or as someone we can play alongside Kamara and Dougie when we think we'll generally be sitting deeper and trying to counter quickly.  That would give Dougie, Tielemans and Ross as options bringing the ball out of defence.  It's clear that Dougie has had to play too much football this season (as have a lot of our players).

• Like 1

So an offer of doubling his wages & a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd from the club would be good bit of business 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, allani said:

No.  I can't see him as a backup to Kamara.  Although Ross has upped the defensive side of his game - he's still more effective as a deep lying playmaker (IMO obviously) than a ball playing DCM.  I see him more as a backup to Dougie or as someone we can play alongside Kamara and Dougie when we think we'll generally be sitting deeper and trying to counter quickly.  That would give Dougie, Tielemans and Ross as options bringing the ball out of defence.  It's clear that Dougie has had to play too much football this season (as have a lot of our players).

This.  We still need someone to replace Kamara.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â