Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

As for mullins he wasnt good before aigning for cambridge his goals was nowhere near the level it was there. He is probably a league two striker at best

He become more clinical and consistent in his mid 20s which is somewhat standard for a striker.

However when he left Cambridge he'd just beaten their record for most goals scored in a season, made the League Two team of the season and won both the league's top scorer and player awards. 

He's easily good enough for League One and could have started lower end of the Championship. 

Also, if being closer to Liverpool was the key factor for him choosing Wrexham, then why did he reject Blackburn and Preston which are exactly the same distance away?

20 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

He become more clinical and consistent in his mid 20s which is somewhat standard for a striker.

However when he left Cambridge he'd just beaten their record for most goals scored in a season, made the League Two team of the season and won both the league's top scorer and player awards. 

He's easily good enough for League One and could have started lower end of the Championship. 

Also, if being closer to Liverpool was the key factor for him choosing Wrexham, then why did he reject Blackburn and Preston which are exactly the same distance away?

He went there for the money and the project. Why does it bother you so much?

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He went there for the money and the project. Why does it bother you so much?

He clearly went there for the money, that's the point.

It stinks and is bad for the game, but yet gets lauded as a wonderful Hollywood fairytale and a great thing.

It's the inconsistencies with how people treat Wrexham as opposed to other larger clubs who act this way which annoys me.

Edited by Rds1983

I get it's annoying, but footballers are employees in the same way we are - more so at lower league level, as the money isnt anywhere near the Premier League. For footballers who know they wont ever get to the top end of the Championship or into the Prem, they've got an opportunity to make some good money.

If we worked for a decent, middle sized company and were good at the job but a smaller company offered you more money to do the same job but in much easier surroundings we'd probably take the job

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

He clearly went there for the money, that's the point.

It stinks and is bad for the game, but yet gets lauded as a wonderful Hollywood fairytale and a great thing.

It's the inconsistencies with how people treat Wrexham as opposed to other larger clubs who act this way which annoys me.

It’s always been the case that owners come in, inject capital into the club to allow them to build stands, sign better players and leapfrog other teams. It’s not like they’re doing a Man City and deliberately hiding revenue and using creative accounting methods to essentially cheat the league.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s always been the case that owners come in, inject capital into the club to allow them to build stands, sign better players and leapfrog other teams. It’s not like they’re doing a Man City and deliberately hiding revenue and using creative accounting methods to essentially cheat the league.

How do you know that they're not? Nobody knew about City doing that until later.

They're not doing standard stuff. A non-league team is sponsored by TikTok, had a documentary made about them and was added to Fifa.

They are cheating the league but instead of hiding it they're being incredibly brazen. In some ways they're like United in the 90s and yet people love them.

Anyways, that's enough of this chat for me for today.

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

How do you know that they're not? Nobody knew about City doing that until later.

They're not doing standard stuff. A non-league team is sponsored by TikTok, had a documentary made about them and was added to Fifa.

They are cheating the league but instead of hiding it they're being incredibly brazen. In some ways they're like United in the 90s and yet people love them.

Anyways, that's enough of this chat for me for today.

Everyone knew what city were doing when they were signing deals for sponsorships way over the price that a club of their size should have been.

I would think that part of the Wrexham appeal for disney and TikTok would be the owners. Owners always have connections. The wolves owners basically brought their own agent with them.

Have you watched the documentary? It’s clearly aimed at the American audience and is designed to capitalise on the owners appeal to that market.

Im not saying that what they’re doing is definitely above board because I don’t know but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to lump them in with the likes of the sheikhs and actual real life murderers who own certain other clubs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I get it's annoying, but footballers are employees in the same way we are - more so at lower league level, as the money isnt anywhere near the Premier League. For footballers who know they wont ever get to the top end of the Championship or into the Prem, they've got an opportunity to make some good money.

If we worked for a decent, middle sized company and were good at the job but a smaller company offered you more money to do the same job but in much easier surroundings we'd probably take the job

I don't think anyone blames the players, or even the owners. It's a case of don't hate the player, hate the game, for me at least.

"Good money" made me chuckle though. If the wages posted here are accurate, we're at the point where some non league players are being paid over £200,000 a year. **** ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think anyone blames the players, or even the owners. It's a case of don't hate the player, hate the game, for me at least.

"Good money" made me chuckle though. If the wages posted here are accurate, we're at the point where some non league players are being paid over £200,000 a year. **** ridiculous.

Their average attendance is close to 10k though, they are bringing in a lot more money than your typical non league club.

50 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Everyone knew what city were doing when they were signing deals for sponsorships way over the price that a club of their size should have been.

I would think that part of the Wrexham appeal for disney and TikTok would be the owners. Owners always have connections. The wolves owners basically brought their own agent with them.

Have you watched the documentary? It’s clearly aimed at the American audience and is designed to capitalise on the owners appeal to that market.

Im not saying that what they’re doing is definitely above board because I don’t know but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to lump them in with the likes of the sheikhs and actual real life murderers who own certain other clubs.

I've posted a lot in here today so trying to leave it for now but yes I've watched the documentary. 

It's enjoyable enough. It’s very light touch on the actual football and more entertainment based (compared to something like All Or Nothing) if that's what you mean by aimed at Americans.

It's not a black and white picture. Are they as bad as the Newcastle ownership, no of course not. Are they the wonderful football story that's only benefiting the game that some people believe them to be? I think not. I think they get away with a lot because people feel connected to the owners in some weird way (I have friends who have zero interest in any football outside the top flight but want to go watch a Wrexham game).

Are they paying people off the books or being dodgy like City? I hope not. Is it normal for a non-league club to get the attention and sponsorship they do? No, of course not and in some ways that's a way to bypass FFP as they're bringing in loads of money clubs they're compete with can't and to me is on a par with Chelsea handing out 8 year contracts (which everyone here seems to hate).

Being honest I think FFP should be scrapped and owners should be allowed to spend whatever they want. But I recognise this might actually be bad for the game in the longterm.

All I want is for people to stop fawning over them and saying how great it is without acknowledging that it might not be the wonderful thing people suggest it is.

If you want to wish them well, that's fine, on some levels I do myself, just acknowledge that some of it is dodgy/awkward/unfair when compared to other clubs in that league. 

It's the fact that compared to other clubs spending a (comparative) fortune they seem to not only get a pass but instead get well wishes when other clubs get hatred (Chelsea arent owned by a dodgy stare but are hated on here) that annoys me as it feels like hypocrisy. 

Anyways, I've been in the pub since 4 and feel like I'm now ranting and have better things to do. Have a good weekend all.

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Anyways, I've been in the pub since 4 and feel like I'm now ranting and have better things to do. Have a good weekend all.

Just seen how long this post is....

I'm definitely ranting!

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

So the Man City owners having connections to get sponsorships way over the price that "a club of their size should have" is bad, but Wrexham owners doing exactly the same thing is good?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

The criticism of what Wrexham and what their owners are doing are a bit weird in this thread. 

Why?

The people with a problem with it are spelling out their rationale at length, feel free to chip in, but calling something weird doesn't really give much to go off

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's ridiculous arguing with you sometimes. You can't just "not agree" with statements like "We weren't signing starting players from top 8-10 teams." and "they are signing starting players from 30 positions above them in the table", they're demonstrable matters of fact :D

You cant force me to agree with you. I dont understand why "i have to agree" with you. Ive explained my point you dont agree with it thats fine. In my opinion there is alot of biased opinions here. Its ok for  villa to do it but not wrexham.

Both teams gained a advantage- in our case could rotherham have afforded tammy or mings? Or bolaise?

I guess you also think its fair the premier league clubs relegated were get parachute payments while the rest of championship were getting virtually nothing?

Very hypocritical in my opinion. Let wrexham get on with it

Edited by Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You cant force me to agree with you. I dont understand why "i have to agree" with you. Ive explained my point you dont agree with it thats fine. In my opinion there is alot of biased opinions here. Its ok for  villa to do it but not wrexham.

Both teams gained a advantage- in our case could rotherham have afforded tammy or mings? Or bolaise?

I guess you also think its fair the premier league clubs relegated were get parachute payments while the rest of championship were getting virtually nothing?

Very hypocritical in my opinion. Let wrexham get on with it

I dont think anyone is trying to force you to agree to anything, that's not what this forum is about. They're just posting their opinions and trying stimulate debate.

Clearly I don't agree with what you're saying when comparing Wrexham but I will agree that some of what we did in the Championship will have annoyed and been unfair to other clubs. 

I can definitely agree that parachute payments cause issues. Removing them might cause bigger ones though?

We were also ridiculously close to going bankrupt and being shut down which clearly Wrexham aren't.

Wrexham can do what they are doing, just as we did what we did. However, its fair game for people to call them out for it, just as you're now calling Villa out for what we did.

Giving Wrexham a pass for no explainable reason when other clubs (and apparently Villa) get grief for their actions seems hypocritical to me.

As I've agreed that some of what you've said has merit can you agree that some of mine and others concerns/criticisms might also have merit?

Edited by Rds1983

I think it’s a great story with some highly likeable people fronting it all, admittedly I’m biased because I’d like to see another Welsh club back in the football league.

Yeah it’s driven by an unfair access to resources when compared with the rest of the league but if Reynolds / McIlheny came knocking on the doors of any other club in the division they’d welcome them gladly so them’s the breaks unfortunately.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I dont think anyone is trying to force you to agree to anything, that's not what this forum is about. They're just posting their opinions and trying stimulate debate.

Clearly I don't agree with what you're saying when comparing Wrexham but I will agree that some of what we did in the Championship will have annoyed and been unfair to other clubs. 

I can definitely agree that parachute payments cause issues. Removing them might cause bigger ones though?

We were also ridiculously close to going bankrupt and being shut down which clearly Wrexham aren't.

Wrexham can do what they are doing, just as we did what we did. However, its fair game for people to call them out for it, just as you're now calling Villa out for what we did.

Giving Wrexham a pass for no explainable reason when other clubs (and apparently Villa) get grief for their actions seems hypocritical to me.

As I've agreed that some of what you've said has merit can you agree that some of mine and others concerns/criticisms might also have merit?

No thats fair. I understand your viewpoint just giving a detailed post on why i think we were no better than wrexham.

😃

• Like 1

Â