Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

23 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

But owned by decent people who do a lot for deprived communities and actually bothered to learn welsh and raise awareness of the language around the world. 

Mate, there is so much Arabic around Etihad most premier league fans must basically be fluent by now ;) 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

But owned by decent people who do a lot for deprived communities and actually bothered to learn welsh and raise awareness of the language around the world. 

Even the announcement of the KOL gigs was based around St David's day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

If it wasn't for the owners being likeable celebrities and putting out great marketing materials (which they are) nobody would be wanting them to do well.

What would people be saying if some Billionaire bought a Championship club, got sponsorship from Twitter/Amazon or something and suddenly convinced players like Haaland to drop down a division (which is an exaggerated version of what they have done).

I love lower leagues football (am off to Wembley for the Papa John's final soon). They are driving up wages/fees in these leagues in a very financially challenging league. That is not a good thing.

Yes your right no one would care but lets not forget they literally are doing so much for the community there as well. They are there to make money like near enough all owners are.

But the story of it is great. If you haven't watched the show id watch it because its not just two people who buying club plumping money in. They genuinely look like they have fallen in  love with the game. Your seeing more celebs come over and watch games (ferrell, hanks for example)

Its good to see

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes your right no one would care but lets not forget they literally are doing so much for the community there as well. They are there to make money like near enough all owners are.

But the story of it is great. If you haven't watched the show id watch it because its not just two people who buying club plumping money in. They genuinely look like they have fallen in  love with the game. Your seeing more celebs come over and watch games (ferrell, hanks for example)

Its good to see

The series is definitely worth a watch. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to not want them to succeed if you watched the first season documentary they did. What they’ve done for the club and the area is outstanding, you have to just hope that they’re really in it for the long term.

• Like 2

Whilst I appreciate it's very difficult for other clubs in their league to compete with them with what they're doing, I can't help but want them to do well. I'd much rather see clubs gain traction via the route Wrexham are going over the way clubs like Man City have by artificially increasing their revenue. I also really like Rob McElhenney due to Sunny so that probably sways my opinion a bit too. From watching the Wrexham TV show and watching the weekly Sunny podcasts, he seems like a genuinely good guy. Wish them the best. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

All you need to do is watch the episode of when they had to pay a obscene amount of money to relay the pitch as they didnt do it right.

They go meet the fans talk with them. Has the city owners done  that? Levy?

I think they are both genuine good guys. Wish them all the best

• Like 2

Plenty of owners do things for local communities but it doesn't generate anywhere near the excitement or interest. Look at what Dale Vince has done with Forest Green Rovers and their local community for one.

I've watched the documentary and it was good, but it's more of an 8 hour long advert and marketing campaign when you compare it to other documentaries on football. 

The public image of the two owners paints them very well and I certainly enjoy the films/shows they make. 

I just don't want to get carried away believing the hype and propaganda. 

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

There are billionaire owners and then there are billionaire owners.

What Reynolds and McElhenney are doing is a lesser version of what our current owners are doing. They are doing what they can to increase revenue for the club and get them higher in the league (or just in the league in their case). And they should be applauded for it because they didn't go the easy route and they seem to have a real affinity for the club.

That's night and day from an Abramovich or a state buying football at the top level as a way to sportswash their misdemeanors or practices.

It's a bit of a mix - they're great for the community etc. but are also blowing the rest of the league out of the water in terms of money.  Wrexham's signings are basically entirely League One/League Two level players (Mullin arguably Championship level tbh); no-one can compete with that.  Ollie Palmer cost almost £100k more than the previous National League transfer record - bought from League One AFC Wimbledon.

They should have been promoted last season - major shock that they weren't.  Also a shock that Notts County have managed to keep pace with them so far this season, but Wrexham should cruise to the title.  As a comparison, Stockport won the league last season with 94 points.  Wrexham are currently on 84 points with 12 games left.  There's a chance they break the points record for the division.

In short, it's great for Wrexham and the community etc but they've just completely financially doped the league.  No other side has a chance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's a bit of a mix - they're great for the community etc. but are also blowing the rest of the league out of the water in terms of money.  Wrexham's signings are basically entirely League One/League Two level players (Mullin arguably Championship level tbh); no-one can compete with that.  Ollie Palmer cost almost £100k more than the previous National League transfer record - bought from League One AFC Wimbledon.

They should have been promoted last season - major shock that they weren't.  Also a shock that Notts County have managed to keep pace with them so far this season, but Wrexham should cruise to the title.  As a comparison, Stockport won the league last season with 94 points.  Wrexham are currently on 84 points with 12 games left.  There's a chance they break the points record for the division.

In short, it's great for Wrexham and the community etc but they've just completely financially doped the league.  No other side has a chance.

As you say, Notts County have been keeping up pace until the last week or two so I’m not sure no other side has a chance, but yeah, obviously they have far more access to resources than any other team in the division, and in fact most of the teams in the two divisions above.

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think if mullen gets injured then you could see things change

Be great to see wrexham back in FL

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As you say, Notts County have been keeping up pace until the last week or two so I’m not sure no other side has a chance, but yeah, obviously they have far more access to resources than any other team in the division, and in fact most of the teams in the two divisions above.

No, seriously, no other side has a chance.  Notts County struck absolute gold with Macaulay Langstaff (who I think is still top scorer by some distance?), are having a phenomenal season, but they won't stop Wrexham.  Wrexham are 22 points ahead of 3rd and 1 point ahead of Notts County with a game in hand. They last lost back in October (to Notts County!) - they've currently won 11 of their last 12, knocked Coventry out of the cup and taken Sheff Utd to a replay.

They're a League One side in the National League.  No other side has a chance.

It shouldn't be so hard to hold the separate and unrelated views that 1. They seem to be nice blokes and good for the local community. and 2. It makes a mockery of the league they're in as a sporting contest.

• Like 4

Onw thing though guys the national league is onw of thw toughest to get out of. 1 side automatically goes up and the rwst is a difficult play off.

I think this is their 3rd season under these guys so its not a walkover like everyone is making out

Look at chelsea just throwing money everywhere and looking useless. What about us under xia in championship? We were shit under deano came in and we spent.

Its not just money, you need good manager players and belief not just money. Money helps but its not always the case.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Onw thing though guys the national league is onw of thw toughest to get out of. 1 side automatically goes up and the rwst is a difficult play off.

I think this is their 3rd season under these guys so its not a walkover like everyone is making out

Look at chelsea just throwing money everywhere and looking useless. What about us under xia in championship? We were shit under deano came in and we spent.

Its not just money, you need good manager players and belief not just money. Money helps but its not always the case.

But we weren't signing top 6 Premier League level players in the Championship. 

Wrexham are signing players from 2 divisions up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But we weren't signing top 6 Premier League level players in the Championship. 

Wrexham are signing players from 2 divisions up

We were blowing eveeyone in the league out of the water with the signings we were making. We blew how much on mccormack alone qas it 14m??

Its the same as wrexham just different leagues

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We were blowing eveeyone in the league out of the water with the signings we were making. We blew how much on mccormack alone qas it 14m??

Its the same as wrexham just different leagues

Wrexham are signing players from League 1, we signed players from the Championship

If we had signed players like Vardy and Zaha it would be similar

Wrexham are the non-League Citeh. They have money and draw that no-one in their league can compete with. The clubs of similar stature to them can't hope to bring in the kind of players at the kind of money they are.

It's good that their owners are doing it properly and with a view to supporting their community, they have pumped in money but they have also done so off the pitch and looked to develop the wider community, which is great - Wrexham is direly neglected (like a lot of Wales outside Cardiff). They're good people.

But they are basically doing the same thing Citeh did, hurling money at it at such a degree that nobody can compete. Wrexham having strikers that are of a standard to be successful 40 places above them in the pyramid is ridiculous. Their manager is beyond non-league football, they buy league 1 players, they've gone from sponsorship by a local trailer business to Tiktok and other international brands. Dagenham and Redbridge or Solihull Moors aren't getting sponsored by Meta or the like, they aren't buying prime League 1 players. They get sponsored by local companies and are delighted if they can get a prospect on loan from a Championship team.

Â