Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

On 24/03/2023 at 00:21, Demitri_C said:

Massive signing for Wrexham 

One thing id say is people saying wrexham spendong big they havent gone got a massive name manager. Phil parkinson isnt exactly a high level manager in these leagues

Dude he really is 😂

• Like 3

They still have Notts County left to play (at the racecourse), which will be a massive game. Wrexham lost to them in the reverse fixture. From what I have seen over the last 2 seasons Wrexham have struggled a bit in the high pressure moments.

If Notts can beat them, Wrexham could crumble. It's a big ask as it asks Notts to pretty much be perfect for the remainder of the season, but it is an exciting run in. 

That said, if Wrexham win, you can wrap it up in a bow for them.

they seem to be “all in” in attendance today for the women’s match a record breaking attendance of 9500 witnesses the women’s team win the league and gain semi professional status.

• Like 3

The othee comparison i dont like with city is the fans. Wrexham fans are passionate about theie club and community. 

Citeh on the other hand dobt get more fake and plastic than their fans.

As for reynolds he lives in the states and is here so much for games.  He could just watch the games from abroad like may other owners 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The othee comparison i dont like with city is the fans. Wrexham fans are passionate about theie club and community. 

Citeh on the other hand dobt get more fake and plastic than their fans.

As for reynolds he lives in the states and is here so much for games.  He could just watch the games from abroad like may other owners 

Exactly, very few of the top flight owners watch more than the odd game a season.

Great to see them supporting the womens game too 

• Thanks 1

I would strongly suspect that unless the league format is changed, their women’s team promotion will cause the relegation of my women’s team next season. I would strongly suspect we’ll be the weakest next season, unless some unforeseen calamity attends one of the other teams. 

It would be easy to be bitter and call them out as the latest Man City. But I think it would be churlish to look at how they are increasing attendances and promoting the women’s game and not think it was a positive for the game.

A better aim would be to see the number of decent teams increased, and thus see the league size expanded.

Best of luck to their women’s team.

• Like 4

Be interesting to see what happens when they shift up a few leagues. Financially they are flat track bullies in the conference, but once they get towards the championship then it's a whole new level of wealth, which even Deadpool can't compete with.

54 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Be interesting to see what happens when they shift up a few leagues. Financially they are flat track bullies in the conference, but once they get towards the championship then it's a whole new level of wealth, which even Deadpool can't compete with.

They've got a game arranged this summer against Man Utd (in the United States).  They'll be financially absolutely fine in any league they get to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Ryan Reynolds must be close to, if not already a billionaire.

He’s certainly worth several hundred million.

I would think if they got into the Championship it might be a good time to hand it over as project complete from their point of view.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They've got a game arranged this summer against Man Utd (in the United States).  They'll be financially absolutely fine in any league they get to.

They really need to build a USA / Canada following to have any chance. The championship is now a world of billionaires and they won't be able to spend their way to success.

2 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

They really need to build a USA / Canada following to have any chance. The championship is now a world of billionaires and they won't be able to spend their way to success.

I think you're overstating how much money is spent in the Championship.  The record fee paid is around £15m for Ruben Neves.  Outside of the relegated clubs (Burnley, Norwich and Watford) the most expensive signing this season has been £4m.

FFP still applies in the Championship so it's not a question of how wealthy the owners are but much money the club can generate. 

Wrexham are already getting Amazon documentaries, sponsorship from TikTok and being added to Fifa games.

What will they be able to bring in when in much higher leagues like the Championship?

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised for them to get shirt sponsorship by someone like Amazon or Facebook/Meta and for them to be paid more for it than most Premier League clubs (including us) get for their shirt sponsor.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people suddenly start feeling a bit different about them and cheering them on when this happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

FFP still applies in the Championship so it's not a question of how wealthy the owners are but much money the club can generate. 

Wrexham are already getting Amazon documentaries, sponsorship from TikTok and being added to Fifa games.

What will they be able to bring in when in much higher leagues like the Championship?

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised for them to get shirt sponsorship by someone like Amazon or Facebook/Meta and for them to be paid more for it than most Premier League clubs (including us) get for their shirt sponsor.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people suddenly start feeling a bit different about them and cheering them on when this happens.

As far as im concered its a different type of project than billionaires pumping money in its a bit more nuanced than that. They have already upset none league fans and i know a notts country fan who hates them as its their best season in decades. Its the way theyre doing things thats more palitable than just a Chelsea/City/Newcastle, but every success brings detractors.

48 minutes ago, Oaks said:

As far as im concered its a different type of project than billionaires pumping money in its a bit more nuanced than that. They have already upset none league fans and i know a notts country fan who hates them as its their best season in decades. Its the way theyre doing things thats more palitable than just a Chelsea/City/Newcastle, but every success brings detractors.

Is it more palatable because of the loveable Hollywood stars? Everything else is essentially the same, no?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Is it more palatable because of the loveable Hollywood stars? Everything else is essentially the same, no?

Investment isnt the same. For instance i doubt they would invest anywhere near our owners have, yet our owners arent spening for spening sake. 

But any investment is preferable to nation states sportswashing at any level.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Not sure i agree with that. They we have more than teams like rotherham  blose etc.

I thjnk by then if they got that high there would be a bigger stadium and bigger advertising for them

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Already been mentioned many times, but more palatable as it's more community aligned, they are invested, they show up. They even went to an away game, and although it's good for the TV show (which may be a big factor) it's still a good effort. 

Not to mention Wrexham is a pretty big club for their standing right now and they've effectively been saved by them. 

They've also pushed through some positive actions, such as allowing streaming of games at that level. Yes it was for their benefit but should help bring extra income and visibility for other non league clubs, especially those with fans who may not be able to attend every game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oaks said:

I would be absolutely amazed if Notts County don't win the play offs (assuming they don't still overtake Wrexham) 

They're streets ahead of anyone else in that league. 

Â