Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

I don't much like Foster (for the obvious reasons) but he wasn't offered a decent contract by a league club, so rather than stay retired (which he hadn't planned to be) is playing out what is left of his footballing career at Wrexham. I can't blame him or Wrexham for signing him for the run-in. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Interesting few points.  Looks like his wages are literally travel and hotel expenses.  Perhaps not the £6k a week some people were suggesting? 

He's going there for, what, 2 months?  £48k is never going to make or break Ben Foster :D

Cynically, I imagine there's a lot of appeal to gaining exposure for his podcast from a new wealth of "online fans", but maybe there's some romance there of the club who helped kickstart his career.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John said:

I don't much like Foster (for the obvious reasons) but he wasn't offered a decent contract by a league club, so rather than stay retired (which he hadn't planned to be) is playing out what is left of his footballing career at Wrexham. I can't blame him or Wrexham for signing him for the run-in. 

He was offered a contract at Newcastle 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's going there for, what, 2 months?  £48k is never going to make or break Ben Foster :D

Cynically, I imagine there's a lot of appeal to gaining exposure for his podcast from a new wealth of "online fans", but maybe there's some romance there of the club who helped kickstart his career.

He said on TS Ryan agreeing to go on his Podcast was a factor and sounds like he is only being paid expenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Errrrr… yes, yes he is. 

Err I disagree for reasons below

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Think his last job was Sunderland and has managed in the Championship and a League Cup final 😂

He has only more than a 40% win ratio at wrexham the last job was colchester in 2006

Had some success like the Bradford but his cv isnt as impressive as you think

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He's a manager that has been operating in League One for basically his entire career.  His Bradford City side were the ones which beat us over two legs (remember that fun? :D).  He's now at a National League side.

Of course he's a big fish in that league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He was offered a contract at Newcastle 

I guess at his age, he wasn't prepared to just warm a bench and not play. I would rather play in Wrexham as well..:) 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He has only more than a 40% win ratio at wrexham the last job was colchester in 2006

Had some success like the Bradford but his cv isnt as impressive as you think

Would you expect an established Premier League Manager to take over a club in League One or Two?

No, you wouldn't. That'd be daft. But that's what Parkinson has done by dropping from the Championship and League One to the National League. 

He's had a good CV with multiple League One runner's ups and multiple individual awards.

The success he had at Bradford was reaching the play off final and getting them to the League Cup final by beating Arsenal in the quarters and then beating another top flight club (for some reason I can't remember who though) over two legs giving them one of their most embarrassing moments in their history.

He is a very good manager, especially for a club in the National League. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Would you expect an established Premier League Manager to take over a club in League One or Two?

No, you wouldn't. That'd be daft. But that's what Parkinson has done by dropping from the Championship and League One to the National League. 

He's had a good CV with multiple League One runner's ups and multiple individual awards.

The success he had at Bradford was reaching the play off final and getting them to the League Cup final by beating Arsenal in the quarters and then beating another top flight club (for some reason I can't remember who though) over two legs giving them one of their most embarrassing moments in their history.

He is a very good manager, especially for a club in the National League. 

Isnt this his 3rd season though trying to get them up? 

Im judging it by his win ratio at his previous clubs.  Not a massive coup i think

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im judging it by his win ratio at his previous clubs.  Not a massive coup i think

He managed in the Championship in 2019 when we last played there, he even beat us in that division and has managed 5 ex Premier League teams

Would be like Rafa Benitez getting the Oxford job

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe all the Hollywood glitz, celebrity owners and Amazon documentaries are causing them problems. 

Maybe the owners aren't actually that good.

Maybe the player's aren't actually trying that hard as they're top good for the league.

Or maybe it's just a really difficult league to get promoted from.

Just because he hasn't gotten them up yet doesn't mean he's not a massive name manager for them. He certainly wouldn't be gettable for any other club in that league or likely the one above.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

would-you-just-admit-defeat-you-lost.gif

Yes, the takeover happened part way through the first season. Promotion then was always a distant hope. It was after that they brought in Parkinson and went big on players. 

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s his second season I think, they finished second and lost in the playoffs last year and they’re smashing it this season, with notts county performing admirably to try and keep pace with them.

Would be genuine miracle territory if Notts County pip Wrexham to the title.

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know enough about Notts County’s finances to comment, they’re a big club for that level themselves though.

Yeah, they are.  Been doing a few "fan days" this season - hitting attendances of around 20k I think.  Their stadium is ridiculous for that level.

Think they spent pretty big on Macaulay Langstaff from Gateshead(?) and he's been ridiculous.

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, they are.  Been doing a few "fan days" this season - hitting attendances of around 20k I think.  Their stadium is ridiculous for that level.

Think they spent pretty big on Macaulay Langstaff from Gateshead(?) and he's been ridiculous.

A good few clubs who were on the championship not so long ago struggling down there these days, Scunthorpe, Southend, Yeovil and Oldham have fallen a lot too.

Goes to show how easy it is to slip down the league's when things go wrong with bad owners.

Â