Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

4 hours ago, Genie said:

If I were a Wrexham fan I’d be extremely worried about this. These things never end well. 

They'll be revealing their plans to the club owners/Supporters Trust members very soon for members to vote on. 

As things stand, the club are looking at losing £500k this season due to Covid and the lack of income from fans. That is huge at National League level and could result in the club going bust. I've backed fan ownership but it's got the club nowhere in the last decade. 12 years in the National League/Conference for a club of Wrexham's size has taken its toll on the fanbase and most are ready for change. 

The club has massive potential, there are no teams in mid/North Wales to realistically compete with. A successful North Wales side could have a very large catchment area. Around 700,000 in North Wales. If the club progressed, they could easily sustain 15,000 plus in the Championship/League 1. The club have averaged around 4-5000 in non-league. 

It's absolutely right to be weary but there's also reason to be excited by it. There's nothing in it for them in terms of knocking down the stadium and taking the money and I honestly can't see 2 huge stars screwing their reputations up by shafting the club. 

There's talks about Peter Moore, the ex Liverpool CEO taking up that role at Wrexham. He lives in the town when not in America and he has all the knowledge to run the club on their behalf. 

If the option is going bust this season in the National League or taking a chance on these 2, I think most would take a chance rather than withering away like now. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

If the option is going bust this season in the National League or taking a chance on these 2, I think most would take a chance rather than withering away like now. 

Of course, any alternative to going bust is worth a punt but I just don’t like the look of this.

I suspect if they follow through and buy the club there will be a load of fanfare. They’ll put some money in but then slowly get bored with the lack of glamour of owning a non-league team when the media move on to something else.

The risk is that they’ll vanish back to the USA without a trace and leave the club to free fall, possibly with bigger debts than now.

The class of 92 found the amount of money needed to run a football club overwhelming and needed extra muscle in Peter Lim to fund the club,  I imagine Reynolds and McElhenney have other projects that pump their money into, I really hope if the buy they bring in footballing men/women with them to run the club.

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

The class of 92 found the amount of money needed to run a football club overwhelming and needed extra muscle in Peter Lim to fund the club,  I imagine Reynolds and McElhenney have other projects that pump their money into, I really hope if the buy they bring in footballing men/women with them to run the club.

I wouldn't say Salford have shown that amount of money is needed, they've just tried to Man City their way up.

On 24/09/2020 at 09:28, Genie said:

Xia had a willingness to spend on Villa which exceeded his actual wealth.

These guys are fairly wealthy but there is no indication really how much they want it blow on a football team. They know nothing about the sport or the country. It will be a disaster.

You say that but when Rexham are two down deep in the final quarter of the World Series and being forced into the Endzone when up pops their MVP to TOUCHDOWN 

HOT DIGGITY

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

They've got Kings of Leon doing 2 shows there in may

Lower league Man City.

How are other clubs in that league (or even several leagues higher) meant to compete with things like this (or documentaries or social media sponsors).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Lower league Man City.

How are other clubs in that league (or even several leagues higher) meant to compete with things like this (or documentaries or social media sponsors).

The same how alot of us can't compete with city though to be fair mate. You could even argue about championship clubs trying to compete with PL clubs

If it inspires more wealthy people to buy smaller clubs like wrexham to help them run then im all for it.

They get absolute peanuts in the lower leagues

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Lower league Man City.

Difference is if Man City win the league, we still have to compete with them next year.

If they do a great job with Wrexham then most teams only have to challenge them for a season or two anyway.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the owners being likeable celebrities and putting out great marketing materials (which they are) nobody would be wanting them to do well.

What would people be saying if some Billionaire bought a Championship club, got sponsorship from Twitter/Amazon or something and suddenly convinced players like Haaland to drop down a division (which is an exaggerated version of what they have done).

I love lower leagues football (am off to Wembley for the Papa John's final soon). They are driving up wages/fees in these leagues in a very financially challenging league. That is not a good thing.

• Like 3

But that's the thing, the liklihood of your club being bought by people who want to plough money in higher than the liklihood of you naturally growing your club and catching those above you

I've got more chance of winning the lottery than I've got of my career paying me £100m, I see FFP as the equivalent of the owner of your company banning you from buying a ticket because he doesn't want you to ever be richer than him

**** that, it's luck and it'll always happen to other clubs and not yours but it's still a fairer system that what we've got

Â