Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

So the Man City owners having connections to get sponsorships way over the price that "a club of their size should have" is bad, but Wrexham owners doing exactly the same thing is good?

I don't think it's remotely strange that people have a more positive reaction to a couple of American movie stars who appear in funny movies than they do to eg Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think it's remotely strange that people have a more positive reaction to a couple of American movie stars who appear in funny movies than they do to eg Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund. 

Me either - but that isn’t the issue with the sponsorship, is it?

You either don’t agree with both Man City’s and Wrexham’s sponsorships being overvalued, or you’re fine with it. You can’t be saying Man City’s is bad because their owners are <x> whereas Wrexham’s is fine because their owners are <y>.

You either fundamentally disagree with overinflated sponsorship deals, or you’re fine with them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think it’s a great story with some highly likeable people fronting it all, admittedly I’m biased because I’d like to see another Welsh club back in the football league.

Yeah it’s driven by an unfair access to resources when compared with the rest of the league but if Reynolds / McIlheny came knocking on the doors of any other club in the division they’d welcome them gladly so them’s the breaks unfortunately.

Completely agree - and it’d just be another club we’re discussing instead of Wrexham. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You either don’t agree with both Man City’s and Wrexham’s sponsorships being overvalued, or you’re fine with it. You can’t be saying Man City’s is bad because their owners are <x> whereas Wrexham’s is fine because their owners are <y>.

You either fundamentally disagree with overinflated sponsorship deals, or you’re fine with them. 

Are Wrexham’s over inflated though or are sponsors willing to pay more to them because they get value for money out of the exposure their owners are capable of bringing the club?

I see it as a different thing to Man City where no legitimate business would pay those rates, it was just the owners using the business as a front to break the rules. 

• Like 1

It's funny. The overwhelming opinion on here is usually about how great it would be if players didn't automatically sign for the Sky6 clubs, didn't keep demanding they had to play Champions League football and instead looked at a club like us and saw the future, and went for the long term project. 

But when a player does exactly that for another club they're destroying football. 

He's also got an autistic child and says a big driving factor was to live as close as possible to his family in Merseyside which Wrexham enabled him to do. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

This is a classic example of the either/or fallacy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

He's also got an autistic child and says a big driving factor was to live as close as possible to his family in Merseyside which Wrexham enabled him to do. 

He was wanted by Preston and Blackburn which are just as close to Merseyside. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Massive difference city havea choice of the best players on the planet. Wrexham are not exactly signing championship players to play in the national league.

Also the documentary would have made wrexham money and built the profile of the club. They obviously will have connections with large companies like tiktok because of whi they are.

The city comparisons are not the same for me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Massive difference city havea choice of the best players on the planet. Wrexham are not exactly signing championship players to play in the national league.

Also the documentary would have made wrexham money and built the profile of the club. They obviously will have connections with large companies like tiktok because of whi they are.

The city comparisons are not the same for me

Why did they have the documentary? Why was the documentary not about Notts County or Dover

This is why someare not buying into the fairytale story the media is pushing. Amazon are as scummy as they come

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why did they have the documentary? Why was the documentary not about Notts County or Dover

This is why someare not buying into the fairytale story the media is pushing. Amazon are as scummy as they come

The documentary was made by FX who also make ‘It’s always Sunny’.

The owner was the executive producer of the documentary. They are using their experience in the entertainment industry to promote the club and help it make money.

If our owners were doing the same we’d be praising them. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because they own wrexham and they dont own dover ? 😂 its only natural there will be more interest in the hollywood stars.i mean could you tell me who the owners of Dover and notss county were without looking it up on google?

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The documentary was made by FX who also make ‘It’s always Sunny’.

The owner was the executive producer of the documentary. They are using their experience in the entertainment industry to promote the club and help it make money.

If our owners were doing the same we’d be praising them. 

Exactly

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Because the owners produced the documentary and no doubt have no issues getting TV deals made. It's amazing PR for the club.

Villa will not think to do something like this.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's funny. The overwhelming opinion on here is usually about how great it would be if players didn't automatically sign for the Sky6 clubs, didn't keep demanding they had to play Champions League football and instead looked at a club like us and saw the future, and went for the long term project. 

But when a player does exactly that for another club they're destroying football. 

Sorry, where has it been said that Wrexham are destroying football?

I find it funnier how people seem to bang on about rich clubs ruining football (OMG how can Chelsea just throw £600m at it - it’s ridiculous, FFP is a joke etc) but when the same thing is done at a lower level, it’s all “awww, these guys are so good. Just look at the documentary, such great guys. What, Dagenham & Redbridge can’t compete? **** it. Thems the breaks”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sorry, where has it been said that Wrexham are destroying football?

I find it funnier how people seem to bang on about rich clubs ruining football (OMG how can Chelsea just throw £600m at it - it’s ridiculous, FFP is a joke etc) but when the same thing is done at a lower level, it’s all “awww, these guys are so good. Just look at the documentary, such great guys. What, Dagenham & Redbridge can’t compete? **** it. Thems the breaks”.

I think its been highlighted the difference in what the owners of Wrexham have done for the club and  community as opposed to city.  Id bet known of the owners at city have ever sat with the fans and had a beer with them like reynolds did.

Have citys owners ever shown passion likk reynolds and mcelhenney did in cup final?

Your making out as wrexham can cherry pick any player they want like city can.  They simply cant

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its been highlighted the difference in what the owners of Wrexham have done for the club and  community as opposed to city.  Id bet known of the owners at city have ever sat with the fans and had a beer with them like reynolds did.

Have citys owners ever shown passion likk reynolds and mcelhenney did in cup final?

Your making out as wrexham can cherry pick any player they want like city can.  They simply cant

I’m sure that Man City fans would say their owners have done loads too (I don’t know or care tbh).

They aren’t at the same level, so of course Wrexham can’t sign Erling Haaland. But they’ve paid £300k for a player which is £100k or so above the previous National League record. That would be like City splashing £150m on Grealish (or whoever). They can cherry pick any player they want from League Two and most from League One.

As I said before, they’ll be promoted next season for sure. League One might be a bit trickier, but Wrexham will be a Championship club in 4 seasons max.

It’s great for them, but it’s solely because of money. It’s not like Forest Green, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its been highlighted the difference in what the owners of Wrexham have done for the club and  community as opposed to city. 

I’m not sure whether you are defending Wrexham’s owners with that comment or attacking City’s, Dem. Wrexham’s have raised the profile, provided some funding and PR and impetus and seem like nice people, kind of normal, but also Hollywood stars. City’s have been there much longer, are way richer, have done masses more for the club and community and profile, but have had the time and money to do so, so you can’t really compare.

But Wrexham is a fairytale story on all sorts of levels and that’s what captures people’s imaginations. “2 Hollywood stars buy lower league no-hopers and do nice things”. Of course some will be jealous or whatever, or cynical “it’s another football club that’s a toy for rich foreigners”, but for a group of supporters and players and staff it’s brilliant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m sure that Man City fans would say their owners have done loads too (I don’t know or care tbh).

They aren’t at the same level, so of course Wrexham can’t sign Erling Haaland. But they’ve paid £300k for a player which is £100k or so above the previous National League record. That would be like City splashing £150m on Grealish (or whoever). They can cherry pick any player they want from League Two and most from League One.

As I said before, they’ll be promoted next season for sure. League One might be a bit trickier, but Wrexham will be a Championship club in 4 seasons max.

It’s great for them, but it’s solely because of money. It’s not like Forest Green, for example. 

I think thats fair points but until we see how they perform in league one (if they get there) we see how they do there.

I cant see reynolds and his partner spending massive tehy dont have the finances of city. Nowhere close. I think players would bw attracted to them because of the popularity and ambition of the club. I mean if wrexham were promoted who you going to rather sign for Wrexham or carilse?

I also note that they have improved the facilites at the ground too so they ate imvesting all over the club

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’m not sure whether you are defending Wrexham’s owners with that comment or attacking City’s, Dem. Wrexham’s have raised the profile, provided some funding and PR and impetus and seem like nice people, kind of normal, but also Hollywood stars. City’s have been there much longer, are way richer, have done masses more for the club and community and profile, but have had the time and money to do so, so you can’t really compare.

But Wrexham is a fairytale story on all sorts of levels and that’s what captures people’s imaginations. “2 Hollywood stars buy lower league no-hopers and do nice things”. Of course some will be jealous or whatever, or cynical “it’s another football club that’s a toy for rich foreigners”, but for a group of supporters and players and staff it’s brilliant.

Abit of both really pete 😂

I think its comparable because this is i think their 3rd season under these guys and 2 years they failed to get promotion as its a tough league to get out of. City threw stupid money at city from the beginning. Wrexham have been building for a few years. Ok they are richer than the other clubs in the league.i accept that, but i think they been smart how they doing it. Not just throwing money at it.building the clubs profile, using their fame to attract more interest. In their PR stunts, the documentary the sponsorship deals and the tv interviews. Mate reynolds sat in a complete dump of a stadium rainy weather as a away fan got belters from away fans -because he cared. I think these guys genuinely have grown to love the sport. City’s owners its all about money and just throwing more money at it

Â