Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I expect a reaction similar to the one when we lost to Brighton, West Ham, Leeds and Southampton. Pretty sure it was 4 defeats in 5 then. We seem to need these periodic "rap on the knuckles" as Dean Smith put it, to jolt us back into life.

As well as to temper expectations of our fans, and the fear that all our best players are leaving us. lol

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As well as to temper expectations of our fans, and the fear that all our best players are leaving us. lol

I think the expectation is lower than the hope or the aim. I expect us to finish atleast around the middle of the league this season. But I hope we have a real go at europe. West Ham are 4th as we approach February. What should their aim be? I really dont think we will have too many better opportunities to compete towards the top like this, with other teams being so weak and inconsistent this season. Just lately, Chelsea dont win again, nor do Southampton or Leicester or Everton. Man U lose to Sheff U, Liverpool lose to Burnley last week. Real shame to lose the way we have today. Felt unnecessary.

West Ham are pissing me off, solely cos we should be where they are in the table...I know West Ham have been settled way more than us but still it looks better if we were higher than our current position. 

Obviously grateful not to be in relegation mix though!!

50 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I guess this is what being a mid-table side feels like (although we dominate games far more than most mid-table sides too).

We're doing better than what mid table teams do even if table dosen't reflect it.

Looked back to some of our early 2000s seasons. We finished 8th in 2000/01 (54 points) and 8th in 01/02 on just 50 points. Our last top half finish in 2010/11 was 9th with 48 points which we should comfortably surpass this season. We only won 12 games which we could surpass by end of Feb if we can get over this defeat quickly.

Would be very cruel if we got close to 60 points and yet only finish 10th or something.

Just shows how inflated the points totals are with lack of difference between home and away with no crowds and before tonight Sheffield United being so bad. Of course we've benefited from that aswell but would be good if some of the bottom 4-5 can start taking points off top half teams a bit more than they have so far as that will balance things out a little.

Having two games in hand still on most teams also impacting on things.

Edited by VillaChris

It's criminal the amount of clear chances we miss but the progress is there for us all to see.

Football wise we're playing the best stuff since Little (O'Neill's was effective but very direct).  We unfortunately retain that softness and ability to implode but Leeds and the 1st half against Southampton are the only games we've been bad in all season.  Wolves was a bit meh as well to I suppose but we won.

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Sometimes I feel that we get a bit too complacent due to the way we often dominate games these days, which can lead to not enough urgency in attack (because we think we'll get loads more chances anyway) and not treating opposition attacks seriously enough. Both were on display tonight.

Growing pains I guess.

We need to find the balance of swagger, work rate and focus.

We will get there.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

unfortunately the league table tells a different story.

Maybe they have the squad depth - but in terms of performances on the pitch I don't see many teams to top us this season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Win against Southampton and we're on 32 points, which extrapolated for the rest of the season is 64 points. That's been enough for top 4-6 for the past few years.

Only problem is there’s more than usual suspects thinking the same thing. Leicester, Everton and West Ham have got themselves in great positions. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only problem is there’s more than usual suspects thinking the same thing. Leicester, Everton and West Ham have got themselves in great positions. 

Spurs will drop off without Kane now, we definitely need to fit that game in before he returns. West Ham could drop away eventually but Antonio may carry them like Benteke used to carry us. Leciester look like they'll finish in the top 4.

We will come back strong again. 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Spurs will drop off without Kane now, we definitely need to fit that game in before he returns. West Ham could drop away eventually but Antonio may carry them like Benteke used to carry us. Leciester look like they'll finish in the top 4.

We will come back strong again. 

It's Leicester's spot to lose. Hope they capitulate like last year. Chelsea might also be coming back up. But I think we can be right up there with all those teams. Hopefully we've learned from the first half of the season and cut out these stupid losses like Burnley, West Ham and Brighton.

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Everton have been complete dogs**t today and they've got a very hard second half of the season if you look at who they still have to play away in the run in.

Would be interested anyone's opinion if they think they're going to finish 10 + points ahead of us other than "James Rodriguez plays for them...." Reality is we're been pretty much neck and neck in table with them most of the season and win tonight and we're 1 point off them with a game in hand.

Â