Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd do it quite a lot.

They used to do it under Fergie as well.

There 11th least minute player McTominay has played +100 more minutes than our 10th least Traore 11th is Barkley

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I really don't want to say it or even believe it but it's becoming quite serious that we're in with a chance of Europe this season. 

I'm not sure how to feel. 

Every time we get within a sniff of a European spot, we lose

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Every time we get within a sniff of a European spot, we lose

I was thinking the same thing, just hoping we take our chance in the next two games against teams around us.  We can do it, just will we do it is the question.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well maybe when the players tire those players you are so desperate to see play more minutes can play their part. They should all be fresh right?

Also 8 of outfield starting 10 have had recent experience of playing more games in Championship which involves high frequency during same period. Barkley and Traore the exceptions but 10th and 11th for minutes as stated earlier 

Edited by Kiwivillan

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

If we can go on a little run - similar to what West Ham just did before losing to Liverpool - we will be well positioned for one of the European places, possibly even the UCL spots as no one seems to want to grab those.

If only we had a manager at the helm who has set the club record for such a run.....

I agree with you - a run at a time when other clubs are faltering could see us grab a European place. Anything can happen this season, though I'm not going to be disappointed with a top 10 finish.

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

If only we had a manager at the helm who has set the club record for such a run.....

I agree with you - a run at a time when other clubs are faltering could see us grab a European place. Anything can happen this season, though I'm not going to be disappointed with a top 10 finish.

As a Villa supporter I'd be very happy with a top 10 finish. As a Grealish fan, I'm desperate for Europe. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do our direct rivals rotate much? I can only really pick out Arsenal, who seem a lot more settled of late.

He doesn’t even watch Villa so I’d be surprised if he knows about other teams 

From what I’ve seen West Ham, Spurs and Everton tend to rotate because I don’t think either manager knows their best team. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Tough ask.

Especially considering i think the players will tire as we don't rotate much.

Ok the flip side, I think we could potentially do even better than we have done this first half of the season.

We have had some great performances, but I still don't even think we have seen our fluid best yet.

As more players get back to full fitness ( McGinn, Trez, Barkley. New players settle in further and get to grasp with our system. ( Traore, Sanson ).

Obviously depends on them all staying fit for a sustained period, but we can really gather some momentum.

I feel like we have actually had a bit of a stop, start, topsy turvy and sometimes disjointed first half, but look where we are?

What happens when the machine is well oiled and in full flow?

Main variable is that the same could go for a couple of other teams, but on the other hand some could also have peaked to early.

We are also less likely to make the same mistake against certain teams twice.

Exciting times.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

The league is beginning to just show a few cracks where the battles will be.

We seem to have a top 4 which are just beginning to get that consistency and make a little gap start forming (points in the bag vs games in hand)

Then 5th to about 12th where a mini run gets you dreaming of Europe and a blip in form makes you feel like the bubble has burst.

13th to 17th are probably focusing on not having a mare of a second part of the season and know safety, without drama, is their aim.

Then you've got the bottom three who are adrift and hoping to be the one team that escapes with a minor miracle.

We're clearly in that second band - 5th to 12th, so even finishing middle of that pack in 8th/9th would be big year on year progress and I'd be happy if a little anti climactic after our stunning start to the season. Make the same strides again in 21/22 and you're fighting for the title!

Â