Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

You have to admit the jump from where we were last season to now, and what we could potentially achieve this season, is pretty huge. I don’t think the expectation was to finish top 6 this season and I think the squad reflects that, in some ways. That’s my interpretation of what was said, and about where I am on it. Hope I am wrong though, would love any form of European footy. 

Indeed. But the jump from where we are *now* to the top 6 isn't quite as unassailable. 

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Lack of squad depth and fixture congestion i think. I hope I'm wrong though! 

I'm not too concerned by squad depth. Obviously there are maybe 2 or 3 players we can't afford to lose for any length of time if we are to mount a challenge for Europe, but that's not something we can realistically plan for at this stage of our development. I thought we passed the recent squad depth test very well, tbf. I would like to see a striker come in, even on a short term deal, to round things off. 

Fixture congestion is a concern deffo. That said, a large number of this squad have been blooded in the Championship. We are not in Europe, we're out of both cups and we've just had a couple of weeks off. Aren't most teams facing the same problem, in any case? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

If we finish 7th, and the cup winners are both in the top 6 we would qualify for the UEFA Europa Conference League, instead of the normal Europa League. 

It’s a new tournament launching next season, in addition to Champions League and Europa League. Played on Thursdays too, with similar clubs from around Europe who’ve had the same pathway. If we did, I’d fancy us to go quite far in that, as you’d imagine the standard to be lower than the normal EL due to the qualifying pathway. 

I would still love us to get into Europe, however it happened.

Where have you read this? The official Premier League site says different. I would assume we are still sending 3 teams to the Europa League proper, no? 

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UEL second qualifying round place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

As stated above, it looks like we are getting an additional European spot, rather than it taking away a spot from the Europa League proper. 

I did think that would be odd, as it would mean no league qualification for the Europe League.

Source: https://www.90min.com/posts/uefa-europa-conference-league-explainer-dates-qualification

As well as creating more European places for typically weaker national leagues, the sixth best teams from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga will enter the Europa Conference League main path at the playoff round.

How do you qualify for the Europa Conference League?

As stated, the winners of the Carabao Cup will enter the competition at the play-off stage before the group stage. 

If the winners of the Carabao Cup have finished in the Premier League’s top five, then the spot will go to the sixth-placed side in the Premier League.

Clubs that lose in the play-off round of the Europa League enter the Europa Conference League group stage, whilst clubs who finish third in their Europa League group also enter the competition in the knockout stage.

Here

i made the assumption same applies with FA Cup winners. The idea behind the Europa Conference League is to reduce numbers in the Europa League. 

UEFA page Here too with a bit more on it  

Who enters the UEFA Europa Conference League?

In all, 184 teams will be involved over the course of the season including at least one from each of the 55 associations and 46 clubs transferring from either the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. 

@dont_do_it_doug.

I don’t think we get an extra place. Looking at the access list on the UEFA site looks like 3 entrants across both Europa competitions

Edited by villan-scott
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Or England flop at euros and England come in for DS.

Oh god - I hadn't even considered that might be a thing. I don't think he's got the right fit though - like Dyche - little risk hopefully 

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Here

i made the assumption same applies with FA Cup winners. The idea behind the Europa Conference League is to reduce numbers in the Europa League. 

UEFA page Here too with a bit more on it  

@dont_do_it_doug.

I don’t think we get an extra place. Looking at the access list on the UEFA site looks like 3 entrants across both Europa competitions

Wouldn't it be great if when they made these changes they would take the time to inform supporters through official channels of precisely what it means for their member clubs? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Oh god - I hadn't even considered that might be a thing. I don't think he's got the right fit though - like Dyche - little risk hopefully 

I might be naive, also obviously non English, but I genuinely feel this is Deanos dream job and he wouldn't leave unless nudged.

I only see him leaving if after we've won Leagues and Cups, he decides it's time, and we are going in a new direction etc.

Also obviously , alternatively, if everything goes tits up, but I can't see it right now.

England etc would only come at a time of mutual blessing I reckon.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Title should probably be changed to Top 6 chase

Title chase is still on any would you change it?!

That said, if we finish above Liverpool this season that would be a pretty damn impressive turn around in one season. 

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

Just looking at our fixtures, we are due to play sheff u in march but that would be moved for their fa cup tie if they beat Bristol City. Did the Everton and Tottenham matches get rescheduled yet?

Us playing either one of them will go on FA cup QF day as one of Everton/Spurs is certain to be out by then.

14 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Another clear as mud UEFA competition, much like when the Nations League was introduced 😂 

Football is really in danger of over-saturating the market. It's going to become boring and predictable (even more so than now). The big teams are constantly trying to skew things towards themselves removing the unpredictability that is inherent to why most people watch the sport. The authorities are focusing on more and more games, most of them meaningless. It's in danger of becoming like Baseball or something with monotonous games every f***ing day.

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I might be naive, also obviously non English, but I genuinely feel this is Deanos dream job and he wouldn't leave unless nudged.

I only see him leaving if after we've won Leagues and Cups, he decides it's time, and we are going in a new direction etc.

Also obviously , alternatively, if everything goes tits up, but I can't see it right now.

England etc would only come at a time of mutual blessing I reckon.

Well that's just it, the guy is a Villa fan. Surely he'd be just as gutted as we would to see himself leave for the England job 😂

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Us playing either one of them will go on FA cup QF day as one of Everton/Spurs is certain to be out by then.

Premier League matches are already scheduled for that weekend, and the FA cup semi finals and final dates.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Premier League matches are already scheduled for that weekend, and the FA cup semi finals and final dates.

We're playing Sheffield united on QF weekend. They've got Bristol City at home so decent chance that match will be postponed so space will be created to play either Everton or Spurs.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We're playing Sheffield united on QF weekend. They've got Bristol City at home so decent chance that match will be postponed so space will be created to play either Everton or Spurs.

Ah right good point, thanks. Sheffield Utd beating Bristol City in the 4th round is pretty far from a foregone conclusion though.

If they did, it would be better to get our game with Spurs in as we'll be able to rearrange Everton and Sheffield Utd for any midweek.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â