Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

How did it cost us the game. We never scored. Never really threatened. Didn't cost us anything.  Teams have stinkers. If we didn't we be league champions. 

Never really threatened? We had two clear cut chances. Zaniolo and Watkins.

Their second was really poor from Martinez. We had higher xG than them as well.

Edited by Tom13

45 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Never really threatened? We had two clear cut chances. Zaniolo and Watkins.

Their second was really poor from Martinez. We had higher xG than them as well.

It was all huff and puff. Our attackers were off from the go. You can't blame a keeper when you don't score a goal.  

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

In the league table of positive contributions vs mistakes like today. It’s currently somewhere around 896 for, and 2 or 3 against. He’s the best keeper we’ve had in my lifetime, but he is only human. 

I keep telling my mate he’s one of the best keepers in the world, and he just doesn’t see it.  He text me today saying world class keepers don’t play like that today. I basically responded a similar way to your post . 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It was all huff and puff. Our attackers were off from the go. You can't blame a keeper when you don't score a goal.  

As I said though, two clear cut chances. You can't be passing them up away from home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

In the league table of positive contributions vs mistakes like today. It’s currently somewhere around 896 for, and 2 or 3 against. He’s the best keeper we’ve had in my lifetime, but he is only human. 

I think putting things into perspective like that is a bit beyond a few people on here.

• Like 1

Second goal is a clanger but he's got more credit in the bank than any keeper I can remember.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, even the greats. As long as it doesn't become a regular occurrence then it's all good.

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Its definitely the 1st this season thats for sure. But look at that spurs keeper. Not one clanger like this.

The Spurs keeper was absolutely atrocious for the first few games this season.

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Also rarely see ederson make errors like this

You rarely see Martinez make errors like this

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I'll be honest I think he's tried to make that save look harder and better than it had to be.

This is exactly what's happened.

I don't know if he's consciously done that. Maybe it moved in the air and at first he thought it was going further to his right.

But ultimately he didn't need to do a flying one handed save. He could have got two hands to it.
And to be fair even when he does go with one hand there's no excuse for not tipping it over.

It's a shocker, but it happens. We move on

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Spurs keeper was absolutely atrocious for the first few games this season.

You rarely see Martinez make errors like this

I dont recall him making errors against brentford, or united?

I dint recall a atrocious mistake like emis one yesterday. 

Thankfully as you say its rare he makes errors like this.  Lets hope he just does the save in future instead of the fancy saves. No idea why he would do that in a game we are losing but only he knows

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont recall him making errors against brentford, or united?

I dint recall a atrocious mistake like emis one yesterday. 

Thankfully as you say its rare he makes errors like this.  Lets hope he just does the save in future instead of the fancy saves. No idea why he would do that in a game we are losing but only he knows

The Spurs keeper made countless errors. I don't know if they directly led to goals but there was more than one occasion where he basically passed it to the opposition in front of goal. It's pure luck that they didn't lead to goals. 

He's a good keeper, but it's just evidence that all keepers make mistakes. 

Venting anger at Emi for the mistake is a bit strange that's all. Not saying he shouldn't be criticised, he should because it's a bad error. But the tone of your OP was weirdly aggressive for such a good player

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Spurs keeper made countless errors. I don't know if they directly led to goals but there was more than one occasion where he basically passed it to the opposition in front of goal. It's pure luck that they didn't lead to goals. 

He's a good keeper, but it's just evidence that all keepers make mistakes. 

Venting anger at Emi for the mistake is a bit strange that's all. Not saying he shouldn't be criticised, he should because it's a bad error. But the tone of your OP was weirdly aggressive for such a good player

I dont understand how its strange and 'wierd'. You seem to throw the world 'wierd' alot and its abit annoying. Someone that doesn't agree with your opinion you call wierd when its just someone having a opinion.

It was clear and obvious avoidable error that led to the defeat. Of course he will receive criticism for that like any player that makes a error. If olsen did that he gets pelters.  So consistency is key. When emi does well he gets praised when he makes avoidable mistakes like this he gets criticised.

Its not that difficult to understand or 'wierd'/ 'strange'

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Second goal is a clanger but he's got more credit in the bank than any keeper I can remember.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, even the greats. As long as it doesn't become a regular occurrence then it's all good.

That's exactly what people should be telling themselves before commenting.

By all means criticise a bad performance but remember to remove your blinkers and have some perspective. Every team and player has bad performances and making sweeping statements after a loss only to retract them the following week after s win is totally pointless.

Â