Emiliano Martínez

hippo

38 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Why do you think it’s highly unlikely?

Because he’ll have 4 years left on his contract and only a few clubs would be able to afford the fee and most of them have a quality keeper in place.  

Obviously if one of them suddenly show an interest we would be in a different situation but it’s a very small market for his acquisition hence why it’s highly unlikely.

I never said whether it was good or bad, just that it was highly unlikely.  Unlikely to be a foreign club because they either have a top notch keeper or they can’t afford the fee.  So domestically, Liverpool and City are set, Arsenal are fine, Man U are sort of ok, Newcastle are happy so the revolving door of Chelsea is a possibility and I’m not convinced Spurs would join at the figures but with Lloris declining they may have no choice.  

So I’m down to two possible clubs, maybe a third I can’t think of.  It does seem unlikely doesn’t it even if Emi wants it unless there is a club that’s already turned his head behind the scenes.

Also he’ll be close to 31 by then which while young for a keeper is still in his thirties and whether clubs will pay a big fee for his age when clubs like Chelsea are focusing on buying younger players.  

I don’t know, just seems the wrong market and timing for him to leave in the summer on his side as elite clubs will be looking for strikers and there is less demand for a keeper at the elite clubs at this time.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because he’ll have 4 years left on his contract and only a few clubs would be able to afford the fee and most of them have a quality keeper in place.  

Obviously if one of them suddenly show an interest we would be in a different situation but it’s a very small market for his acquisition hence why it’s highly unlikely.

I never said whether it was good or bad, just that it was highly unlikely.  Unlikely to be a foreign club because they either have a top notch keeper or they can’t afford the fee.  So domestically, Liverpool and City are set, Arsenal are fine, Man U are sort of ok, Newcastle are happy so the revolving door of Chelsea is a possibility and I’m not convinced Spurs would join at the figures but with Lloris declining they may have no choice.  

So I’m down to two possible clubs, maybe a third I can’t think of.  It does seem unlikely doesn’t it even if Emi wants it unless there is a club that’s already turned his head behind the scenes.

Also he’ll be close to 31 by then which while young for a keeper is still in his thirties and whether clubs will pay a big fee for his age when clubs like Chelsea are focusing on buying younger players.  

I don’t know, just seems the wrong market and timing for him to leave in the summer on his side as elite clubs will be looking for strikers and there is less demand for a keeper at the elite clubs at this time.

Fair, but I think United could well be in the picture. 

15 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Fair, but I think United could well be in the picture. 

I wouldn’t have thought so. ETH very much likes playing out from the back but has been struggling doing that with his available players.  This style is very much evident and analysts talk a lot of his preferred style and how he wants to shape Utd.  Given that and what we know of Emi, that isn’t one of his best attributes so I don’t think Emi would fit ETH’s requirements in a keeper despite being a brilliant keeper in many other ways.

If he does go it will be Man Utd or Chelsea domestically, both of which we should absolutely, categorically rinse for all their worth.

How much did Donnaruma go for? Younger I know but IMHO it should be around the £80M mark for Emi

Edited by burchy

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon minimum he will go for is 50m. Top keepers are hard to find and he is in the top 5 in the world at the moment

I think utd will make a big bid fof him in the summer. 

For 50 mil, no way. If anyone buys him in the next 12-18 months, it's 80mil.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I reckon minimum he will go for is 50m. Top keepers are hard to find and he is in the top 5 in the world at the moment

Kepa at Chelsea how much was he? Emi is a mile ahead of him in ability 

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

Kepa at Chelsea how much was he? Emi is a mile ahead of him in ability 

If Chelsea were in for Emi I would take a punt on Mendy.

Hopefully Emi stays that interview was a charm offensive to the French people after The World Cup I would not read too much into it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, burchy said:

If he does go it will be Man Utd or Chelsea domestically, both of which we should absolutely, categorically rinse for all their worth.

How much did Donnaruma go for? Younger I know but IMHO it should be around the £80M mark for Emi

Nothing. He left Milan on a free.

Man Utd are not going to spend £60-70m on a goalkeeper. Their priority is a striker, and probably a midfielder.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, burchy said:

Donnarumma was a free transfer but no doubt with a squillion euro signing on fee

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As I said above, I just don’t see Man U in for him, he just doesn’t fit ETH way of playing and Man U are rightly backing ETH’s method.

I think everyone is making this out to be more than it is.  Did anyone read the actual article from Ole or are they reading the out of context quotes from the British rags? 

Looks like the journalist asked him what are his goals and aspirations in football now that he's won the World Cup and he responded with this:

"I'm still hungry, I want to win the Champions League. Obviously, I would like to do it with Aston Villa, but it will be difficult because the club is still in its growth phase. I won the most beautiful title there is with the National Team and now I'm aiming for the biggest title. important of clubs".

Then it looks like something else was asked like whether or not it's time to move on and he replied with this:

“I would like to win a title with Aston Villa. But it's complicated... They knocked us out of the FA Cup in January. You should never lose hope. We'll see what will happen. I have the feeling that today I have the level to play in the Champions League and try to win it."

Hell, a few sentences later in the article he says this:

"I came close to playing in Ligue 1 several times when I was younger. PSG is a great club with great players. They aim to win the Champions League every year. Who wouldn't love to play there?! Leo and Kylian are cracks! Partners that any player dreams of having".

Does this mean that PSG is coming in for him?  I doubt it...  TBH, he has 4 years left on his contract at this point and will cost someone as much as Grealish did.  No, I don't see him leaving for at least another 2 years at this rate.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I think everyone is making this out to be more than it is.  Did anyone read the actual article from Ole or are they reading the out of context quotes from the British rags? 

Looks like the journalist asked him what are his goals and aspirations in football now that he's won the World Cup and he responded with this:

"I'm still hungry, I want to win the Champions League. Obviously, I would like to do it with Aston Villa, but it will be difficult because the club is still in its growth phase. I won the most beautiful title there is with the National Team and now I'm aiming for the biggest title. important of clubs".

Then it looks like something else was asked like whether or not it's time to move on and he replied with this:

“I would like to win a title with Aston Villa. But it's complicated... They knocked us out of the FA Cup in January. You should never lose hope. We'll see what will happen. I have the feeling that today I have the level to play in the Champions League and try to win it."

"I came close to playing in Ligue 1 several times when I was younger. PSG is a great club with great players. They aim to win the Champions League every year. Who wouldn't love to play there?! Leo and Kylian are cracks! Partners that any player dreams of having".

Does this mean that PSG is coming in for him?  I doubt it...  TBH, he has 4 years left on his contract at this point and will cost someone as much as Grealish did.  No, I don't see him leaving for at least another 2 years at this rate.  

This!

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It doesn’t sound like someone who wants to leave. He clearly loves us dearly, but recognises that his aspirations aren’t aligned to ours yet. Dibu backs himself highly and why wouldn't you he? He's one of the best in the world and a WC winner. 

12 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's the age old problem. Owners and fans want to get in champions League but the better  players won't stay long enough to get us there.

So we can't get there.

There's a difference between wanting something and realistically being able to deliver it. We don't spend nearly enough money to have a chance at finishing top 4, and a lot of the money we have spent has not been spent well. We haven't even been able to finish in the top half for over 10 years and haven't played in Europe since 2010. We were only promoted in 2019 but that seems to be used as a reason as to why we keep underachieving, we seem to always want to kick the can down the road and be forever in transition saying we are not ready. Other newly promoted teams were getting into Europe within that timeframe like Wolves, Leicester or Southampton, all smaller clubs than us. We're simply a club who doesn't follow through on its ambitions. 

To be honest who really cares any more as it's the same every year but it does mean our best players will leave, Martinez will have seen how we let a League 2 team beat us at home and probably thinks what's the point. If we were getting into even just the Conference League and going far in the cups I reckon he would not be thinking of leaving but we aren't. Not even got past the FA Cup 3rd round since 2015 despite there being multiple opportunities of playing teams inferior to us (Stevenage, Fulham, Swansea, Peterborough). We did get to a League Cup final but that was the season before Martinez arrived.

We need to get a big fee for Martinez and reinvest the money well. We've got to start making better purchases in the transfer window otherwise we will forever be in transition and going nowhere.

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

if he were to leave, what do ppl honestly think we would get for him?

I know some people will band around £70m+, but i just dont see it, there are only 2 GK transfers over the 50m mark (Alisson & Buffon), then there was the Kepa deal which was just mental levels of stupid.

Realistically, somewhere in the 40-45m bracket?

This is a joke surely.

We will sell him for probably double that. We don't sell players on the cheap and this will be no exception, he may well be a goalkeeper but it would have to be a record fee, one thing we do seem to do well is selling players at good prices and this will be no exception given he is our best player and a World Cup winner. An offer of £40-45m wouldn't even get a response. 

Â