Emiliano Martínez

hippo

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree. Ok one or two goals conceded you’d expect him to save but his general play has been awesome.  The amount of time he has come out and claimed balls in to the box has been a joy to watch. Non of this punching business.  Then you have great last minute one on one saves against Holland and France. Then 2 key penalty shoot outs.

I get you have keepers that made more saves but that’s because they had so much work to do. The best keepers are the ones that don’t not have much to do in a game and then make unbelievable almost match winning saves in key moments.

Spot On.

• Like 1

He was so instrumental in Argentina's win......that simply cannot be ignored, and it wasn't, hence the Golden Glove.

saving Penalties and one on ones, is the hardest thing to do, he deserved that trophy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I love him and I'd be sad to see him go but he's very replaceable imo.

He is. He's a good keeper, but to say he's elite, not for me.

He got a hand to both Saudi goals, and Mbappe's second, and kept none of them out. Had a save ratio of below 50% over the tournament. Listen, despite his antics, he was very good in the shootout, that's not in doubt.

But there have been a few goals conceded for us where he should have done better, similar to those conceded in the WC. The Mason Mount free-kick at VP was a shocker to concede on his side and from that distance.

Everyone at the minute is in love with him so I know the majority will disagree, but to say he's elite is a stretch IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

I don’t think we’d have any marquee signing that would give us attention as him with what he did. He put himself as the second player to win them the world cup. The whole story of him at Arsenal then us getting him and getting him a chance with Argentina then winning Messi everything he didn’t. I think keeping him only for that is worth it. Much better than signing the likes of Coutinho. Continue getting the likes of Kamara. 

Somehow I find myself emotionally thinking a lot of this WC win. First of all my National Team to beat Argentina and they wake up after that. Beating the main Villa player out there. Then for Emi to win it against Netherlands. Then finally that scenario for him to save the last minute chance, then the whole shootout. 

Edited by abdulaziz1

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

This is a weird take to me when we have such a terrible, terrible record signing goalkeepers. Let’s not forget the Nyland-Kalinic-Reina-etc-etc run that we had before this! I get your point on him leaving but my biggest concern is it’s such a hard position to replace, you just avoid messing with it if you possibly can.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This is a weird take to me when we have such a terrible, terrible record signing goalkeepers. Let’s not forget the Nyland-Kalinic-Reina-etc-etc run that we had before this! I get your point on him leaving but my biggest concern is it’s such a hard position to replace, you just avoid messing with it if you possibly can.

This is very true. Villa have had a terrible record with keepers over the years. 

FWIW, I think he’s been fairly average this season, albeit I still think he’s a very good keeper. Ideally, I’d like him to stick around on the basis that he raises our profile and we don’t have to gamble on finding a replacement. I think we’d get that part wrong. 

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 8 months with Emi and if he’s happy to stick with us on our journey. There will definitely be interest but it might also be that his family is settled and he appreciates what the club has done for him (a rarity in football these days). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Heaton was pretty alright for us in the middle of that. Too bad about the injury.

• Like 1

Just seen Emi landing in Argentina with the Argentinian players on tv live.  Needs to get a move on if he’s going to get to Bodymoor Heath for important training this morning.  On a serious note I wonder when the club expects him back!

5 hours ago, AV82 said:

I’m sorry but he is not easily replaceable at all. He’s the best keeper we have had since Bosnich. That was probably about 25 years ago. Since then we have spent an absolute fortune on sub-standard keepers. Non of which are in the same class as Emi.

No keeper of equal standing to Emi would touch us with a barge pole. We have a top player who loves the club and has a massive profile. Why on earth would we want to lose that? Keep the guy and make him captain.
Aston Villa had become a breeding ground for players who don’t really care. We are slowly changing that culture and keeping actual winners around is critical to achieve that. We must keep Emi. It’s essential for our future.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’m sorry but he is not easily replaceable at all. He’s the best keeper we have had since Bosnich. That was probably about 25 years ago. Since then we have spent an absolute fortune on sub-standard keepers. Non of which are in the same class as Emi.

No keeper of equal standing to Emi would touch us with a barge pole. We have a top player who loves the club and has a massive profile. Why on earth would we want to lose that? Keep the guy and make him captain.
Aston Villa had become a breeding ground for players who don’t really care. We are slowly changing that culture and keeping actual winners around is critical to achieve that. We must keep Emi. It’s essential for our future.

I would say Freidel was as good as Emi but we signed him at about 36

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Heaton was pretty alright for us in the middle of that. Too bad about the injury.

Sure, but even that is a case of us paying £8m for a player who played 20 times and then eventually left on a free. 

6 hours ago, AV82 said:

care to throw some names out of whom we could realistically replace him with who are as good or better?

• Like 2

He is contracted until 2027? So going to take a pretty big bid to get him. We hold all the cards. I think Emi will stay for another full season, he moved to us, got into the Argentina squad and never looked back! But we need to win something and get into the Europa if we want to keep top class players.

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would say Freidel was as good as Emi but we signed him at about 36

I honestly think that Freidel was overrated. He was terrible at commanding his area and was totally reliant on his big centre halves when defending free kicks into the box. His strength was that he made few obvious mistakes but he couldn’t do half of what Emi can. Certainly one of our better ones but not in Emi’s class in my view.

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

See he's being linked to Bayern this morning. 

Get ready for silly season MKII because a club like Villa aren't allowed nice things. 

It’s lazy links. As much as I love Emi I don’t think he is good enough for a team like Bayern or quite suited to how they play. Their keepers need to be like sweepers. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

See he's being linked to Bayern this morning. 

Get ready for silly season MKII because a club like Villa aren't allowed nice things. 

The only link I saw that from was from a betting page which have vested interests in such empty speculation 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s lazy links. As much as I love Emi I don’t think he is good enough for a team like Bayern or quite suited to how they play. Their keepers need to be like sweepers. 

Yeah, it seems like a weird replacement considering Neuer is so instrumental in their play style in way that Emi really isn't suited to. 

• Like 1

Â