Birmingham Stabbing Attacks

ThunderPower_14

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When things like this happen and the Manchester arena which has been in the news today it makes me think that we should bring back the death penalty. Why waste tax payers money on life imprisonment for scum like this. 

I’m no expert, but the research I’ve (briefly) read suggests it would cost significantly more if a death sentence were brought in.

This is obviously based on the cases in the US, so whether it would be the same here, I couldn’t say. But it appears a hell of a lot more time and money is needed to carry out a trial when a death sentence is being sought.

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When things like this happen and the Manchester arena which has been in the news today it makes me think that we should bring back the death penalty. Why waste tax payers money on life imprisonment for scum like this. 

A man who knows he faces death is likely to fight to the death.  Think about the poor sods who have to confront them. 

The UK has one of the highest prision populations per head of all developed countries, yet we have a high crime rate.  Look at the US as well. Locking more people up is not the long  term solution, it is crime  preventable programmes that are run in the communities. The Tories  massively cut back on knive crime preventive programmes about a decade ago and now it is coming home to roost. It costs nearly 38 grand a year to fund one prisoner whilst in jail. 

Wishy-washy liberal rant over.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The UK has one of the highest prision populations per head of all developed countries, yet we have a high crime rate.  Look at the US as well. Locking more people up is not the long  term solution, it is crime  preventable programmes that are run in the communities. The Tories  massively cut back on knive crime preventive programmes about a decade ago and now it is coming home to roost. It costs nearly 38 grand a year to fund one prisoner whilst in jail. 

Wishy-washy liberal rant over.

a little OT, cant say this enough...watch 13th on Netflix

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

Standard post to point out death sentences are more expensive than life imprisonment.

That's before you get to all the moral reasons and beyond of why it's a bad idea.

Instead of longer sentances or more life terms.Why not just make imprisonment more of a punishment and less of a holiday camp.

Quite simply.Make prisons a place you DONT want to go back to, rather than a place to spend your holidays.

• Confused 1

I have an idea. 

Hold a referendum on the death sentence but voting is not anonymous. 

We honour the referendum result. 

If we use the death penalty and the deceased is subsequently proven innocent someone has to pay for that "murder". 

We draw out a random name from the pro death penalty votes and kill them.  

They voted for a system that is known to kill innocent people .  They are also partially responsible for the death because they allowed it.  Therefore they can't complain.

The draw could be a big TV event with Anthea Turner and Anton Du Beke.

Trust me.......its a winner. 

😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have an idea. 

Hold a referendum on the death sentence but voting is not anonymous. 

We honour the referendum result. 

If we use the death penalty and the deceased is subsequently proven innocent someone has to pay for that "murder". 

We draw out a random name from the pro death penalty votes and kill them.  

They voted for a system that is known to kill innocent people .  They are also partially responsible for the death because they allowed it.  Therefore they can't complain.

The draw could be a big TV event with Anthea Turner and Anton Du Beke.

Trust me.......its a winner. 

😃

I’m sure there’ll be a movie about this type of thing, in some distopian future

29 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Instead of longer sentances or more life terms.Why not just make imprisonment more of a punishment and less of a holiday camp.

Quite simply.Make prisons a place you DONT want to go back to, rather than a place to spend your holidays.

Are Tui offering it now. Doubt very much anyone wants to go back to Cost del incarceration. A sensible discussion on the merits and effectiveness or otherwise of our prison system is probably long overdue. Comments such as yours really don’t qualify.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

Â