The AVFC FFP thread

18 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Thing is Randy for all his faults voted against FFP!! So hopefully any Villa fan on that site makes sure City fans know that!

Randy's biggest fault imo was that he threw his toys out the pram and walked away when FFP came in, he knew what utter bollocks it was, he should have screamed it from the rooftops, his media silence stuff hurt us, he should have put himself front and centre, interviewing daily on SSN saying "**** this shit" 

We had a children's charity on our shirt when this nonsense came in 

looking at the finances it is either a case that they have some kind of fail safe plan with regard to ffp or they are blatantly going to stick two fingers up to it or are aware of its demise or they’re going to sell Jack. I have no idea which but I’m sure as multibillionaires they have already broached whatever the scenario is

FFP isn't on pause right now due to the impacts of the Pandemic. The lost revenues from last season and a half have everyone failing it. Also we have a much lower wage bill than established Premier League clubs so as we build up the 3 years of Premier League income we are expanding our FFP calculated cost. What people probably don't realise is the advantage of signing players from the Championship is we can give them a big salary bump but the salary will be lower than if we signed them for the same fee from another Prem club. 

Younger players + Championship has a HUGE advantage in that younger players are on lower wages than more senior players and Championship players are on lower wages than Prem. Signing established players from other Prem sides is where the wages are going to be big. Take a player who is signed for £26mil and on 100k per week 5 year deal. The amortised cost in FFP terms of that player is 50% signing fee and 50% wages. That's 10.4m per year, if the wages are 60k per week that 8.32m. 

Signing younger players from abroad or the Championship makes so much sense financially. 

• Like 1

Thought there were plans to reconfigure ffp for 2022/3 ?

Something about owners having to ring fence a certain % of a yearly cost of the clubs expenses in order to spend what they want ?

So if they spent 200 million one year they would need to ring fence say 100 million seperately).

Would make sense and would be something fifa/ Premier League would agree to if the ring fenced money was kept in their accounts gaining 1% interest !!

With c19 it has done us a favour, levelling us quicker to the likes of west ham, Southampton, crystal Palace burnley, last season financially.

This season, with the clamour for anything Jack related, he has a great euros and suddenly Aston villa become 10% or more financially better as every brand will want to be associated with him.

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Thought there were plans to reconfigure ffp for 2022/3 ?

Something about owners having to ring fence a certain % of a yearly cost of the clubs expenses in order to spend what they want ?

So if they spent 200 million one year they would need to ring fence say 100 million seperately).

Would make sense and would be something fifa/ Premier League would agree to if the ring fenced money was kept in their accounts gaining 1% interest !!

With c19 it has done us a favour, levelling us quicker to the likes of west ham, Southampton, crystal Palace burnley, last season financially.

This season, with the clamour for anything Jack related, he has a great euros and suddenly Aston villa become 10% or more financially better as every brand will want to be associated with him.

Agree in principle but FIFA wouldn't hold the ring fenced capital, that would stay with the clubs and they'd instead have to evidence that they hold it. 

• Like 1

Not sure where else to put this … Sourd make £15million per season on food and drink sales … we make £11million on tickets sales …

“They make more from selling pints and burgers than Villa do from selling tickets.

“Villa Park is bigger than the likes of Brighton and Crystal Palace’s stadiums but those clubs still earn more from matchday.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/finance-expert-makes-15m-comparison-between-spurs-and-aston-villa/

“I think the challenge for Villa is you’ve got to look at potential growth for any club. If you take a look at Villa’s matchday income for 2020, that was £11m, Spurs £95m, Man United £90m, Arsenal £79m and Liverpool £71m.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/kieran-maguire-shares-11m-aston-villa-reveal-after-record-breaking-announcement/

taking out debt repayments we have a hell of a long way to go as a club financially 

Edited by thabucks

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not sure where else to put this … Sourd make £15million per season on food and drink sales … we make £11million on tickets sales …

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/finance-expert-makes-15m-comparison-between-spurs-and-aston-villa/

https://www.footballinsider247.com/kieran-maguire-shares-11m-aston-villa-reveal-after-record-breaking-announcement/

taking out debt repayments we have a hell of a long way to go as a club financially 

Villa would make more money from food if the ques were not so big!!  They should buy up all the burger vans around the ground!

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

surely this must be somewhat easy to improve?  If i knew i could get served easily with a few decent options of food, i would plan to eat at the ground every time i went there.   

We normally spend £5 x3 people so £15 when we go - 1 drink before the match starts.   I would happily spend £20 x3 = £60 when we go if i knew i could get served - a couple of drinks and food pre-match and another drink at half-time.  But i need to be guaranteed to be served so i plan beforehand to eat/drink there rather than elsewhere.  That's a 400% increase in revenue from me they could get. 

I wonder if that's representative of a decent % of the £42k people in the stadium?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I agree I stopped spending money at VP years ago due to the queues and shit food and drink offerings when you finally get served.  I moved to corporate seating for a couple of seasons due to wanting to enjoy the day a bit more in terms of experience outside of the game itself. 

I rarely ever eat before games but when I do eating actually inside VP is the last option I will choose.  The food in the burger vans outside is superior which is pretty damning.

Quite how they make the chips SO unappealing is beyond me.  It's sliced potato fried in oil.  How is it possible to make them so bad?

Edited by sidcow

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Quite how they make the chips SO unappealing is beyond me.  It's sliced potato fried in oil.  How is it possible to make them so bad?

They're dipped in sadness before frying.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I rarely ever eat before games but when I do eating actually inside VP is the last option I will choose.  The food in the burger vans outside is superior which is pretty damning.

A few years ago I watched Bayern Munich play at the Allianz arena. It is amazing for food and drink, you can practically walk around the inside of the ground and from one side to the other and there is so much choice.

There's a stand every ten yards practically so everyone can get served pretty quick.

Almost impossible at Villa Park due to the way each stand is segregated.

• 5 weeks later...

A quick question that has just randomly come to me . By selling the stadium to another company like we did 2 years ago does that help on going ffp ie the costs of running the stadium do not count towards the losses allowed ? 

Or do the operating costs not count full stop? 

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

A quick question that has just randomly come to me . By selling the stadium to another company like we did 2 years ago does that help on going ffp ie the costs of running the stadium do not count towards the losses allowed ? 

Or do the operating costs not count full stop? 

I suspect it’ll be picked up by the stadium company as you say. I think they’re relative small fry though. 
The main advantage was definitely the immediate £50M+ relief on FFP.

I have serious doubts the Premier League will ever punish a club under FFP though. It will open the floodgates and ultimately affect the product.

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I suspect it’ll be picked up by the stadium company as you say. I think they’re relative small fry though. 
The main advantage was definitely the immediate £50M+ relief on FFP.

I have serious doubts the Premier League will ever punish a club under FFP though. It will open the floodgates and ultimately affect the product.

And if they do, the punishment will be neither he nor there as we saw with the super league ‘punishment’. Was it £26m fine between all six clubs? Hardly a deterrent. 

Hi MWARLEY2,

Stadium operating costs are carried by the club and do count as a FFP expense.

Additionally, as per club accounts, we are "paying" ourselves £2.6 mil yearly lease for the stadium. This also counts towards FFP. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but there is no such thing as a Free FFP Lunch 😀  

You can find the Lease details in the last published accounts - https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10176070/filing-history ( Group of companies' accounts made up to 31 May 2020 - its on the very last page, point 28 )

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/06/2021 at 16:44, thabucks said:

I agree I stopped spending money at VP years ago due to the queues and shit food and drink offerings when you finally get served.  I moved to corporate seating for a couple of seasons due to wanting to enjoy the day a bit more in terms of experience outside of the game itself. 

I guess it’s a chicken and egg situation - In order to reduce queues it requires bigger and better faculties, which would be expensive and not always possible due to space restraints… But we are missing out big time at present and needs addressing somehow. What the article about Spurs and co doesn’t mention though  is that in order to be able to make £95million per year from the stadium they are in close to a billion in long term debts… 

If we had a spanking new stadium we would crush spurs in revenue. The thing is we'd get way more money for things like concerts and the like. They have to compete with the 02 and 5 other football grounds we have to compete with SHA, Wolves and the Baggies 

They'd obviously have to figure out a way to host them without destroying the grounds but we could be hosting fight nights, concerts and other events as we'd be the largest venue available in Birmingham. 

That would be another thing which compounds value with food kiosks and a nearby hotel. 

Edited by MotoMkali

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

If we had a spanking new stadium we would crush spurs in revenue. The thing is we'd get way more money for things like concerts and the like. They have to compete with the 02 and 5 other football grounds we have to compete with SHA, Wolves and the Baggies 

They'd obviously have to figure out a way to host them without destroying the grounds but we could be hosting fight nights, concerts and other events as we'd be the largest venue available in Birmingham. 

That would be another thing which compounds value with food kiosks and a nearby hotel. 

Don’t think we would due to the London effect on prices they are able to charge that we cannot plus we don’t have the same level of demand for corporate seats. Also to get to the point they are at they’ve got £1billion long term debt - be interesting to see what the repayments are so that can be factored against their increase in revenue… 

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don’t think we would due to the London effect on prices they are able to charge that we cannot plus we don’t have the same level of demand for corporate seats. Also to get to the point they are at they’ve got £1billion long term debt - be interesting to see what the repayments are so that can be factored against their increase in revenue… 

The average interest on their stadium bonds is about 2.5%, which equates to about £25m interest each year.

Most of those bonds have long maturity well into 2030s. I don't actually expect them to repay this debt in full at that time, when the existing bonds near expiration they will simply refinance and keep paying interest. This is standard practice.

Overall it was an excellent investment for them. They didn't spend a single penny of owners money to increase their revenues by about £100m per year at a cost of £25m yearly interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â