Matty Cash

paul514

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Didn’t he score two last time he played there?

I'm sure he's played there a couple of times since. He can do it to an extent, but it's hard to see what he offers on that position to play him above Bailey even when he's on it, which he absolutely wasn't today, he lost his head and looked an absolute liability

Ironically he produced one of the most important bits in the game, injuring Bentancur.  I can kind of see the logic in doubling up with Cash and Konsa as Udogie was providing a lot of their attacking threat in the first half but it was a bit of a disasterclass from Matty all round.  I still rate him as a right back though.

• Like 1

His biggest problem imo is positional discipline. He struggles to understand where he needs to be at times and get caught in no mans land creating his own problems which leads to him being rash. Although playing further forward today he was still getting caught out positionally far too often.

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Didn’t he score two last time he played there?

Against Burnley who are championship level. Against a 2nd string spurs team he was totally outplayed.

If that was against spurs 1st team they would have trounced us. Dont want to see him play there again. A failed experiment 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

His biggest problem imo is positional discipline. He struggles to understand where he needs to be at times and get caught in no mans land creating his own problems which leads to him being rash. Although playing further forward today he was still getting caught out positionally far too often.

the problem is, that he isnt good enough to play further forward, i have no idea how he used ot be a winger, but granted, probably against championship level teams, so maybe i can.

needs quality competition in the Jan window.

Only against Burnley has Cash at RW worked. Don't even blame him was lost up top.  Honestly part of me thinks that was Unai's plan all along. Have Matty run around getting stuck in then 2nd half bring on Bailey to run at tired legs. 

Thing is with cash is cause he's not particularly good on either side of the ball* he's just so limited tactically. You want to play him as a wing back or winger and he just kills attacks. You want to play him as a pure defender than his positional awareness means he gets backcut or plays someone onside or a ball goes over his head. 

There was a reason young was starting over him last season and that was because of his tactical discipline. 

*what I mean is like he's basically average on both sides instead of good going forward or good defensively. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Only against Burnley has Cash at RW worked. Don't even blame him was lost up top.  Honestly part of me thinks that was Unai's plan all along. Have Matty run around getting stuck in then 2nd half bring on Bailey to run at tired legs. 

Issue was aside from the bentancur challenge he wasn't getting stuck in. He offered nothing defensively and we were getting cooked every single time they attacked down the right. Replacing him with Bailey improved our defence down the right massively which just shouldn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Against Burnley who are championship level. Against a 2nd string spurs team he was totally outplayed.

If that was against spurs 1st team they would have trounced us. Dont want to see him play there again. A failed experiment 

I’m not here arguing for him to play right wing, don’t get me wrong, but I would also say in his defence the guy outplaying him has arguably been the best left back in the league this year even if much of the Spurs team was missing elsewhere. Anyway - he’s a good player to have in the squad, and also an obvious area to upgrade!

Cash RW performances. 

Burnley, Liverpool, Wolves, Spurs. 

Burnley he was MOTM but they’re horrible. 

Each time Unai has tried this configuration, we run into the same problem that Cash is not good in the build up. 

As a late arriving box crasher, he’s fine but building up in the first and second phase at RW, I hope Unai has seen enough to know it’s not working. 

Â