Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

58 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If or when you hear no you ask well what do you want then make a counter of what you are prepared to go to.

if it’s still no then you move on

And you're speaking from experience of transfers at a high level in football?

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, the Championship is significantly better than the Scottish Premiership. 

It is better but probably Celtic as a team aren't significantly worse than any promoted side. 

The bloke moved to Celtic at 19. He is now 22, 59 games and 37 goals in the last 2 seasons. 3 in 3 this season or 84 games 49 in total. However you put it it's impressive. Bad league maybe but the blokes going to be 100m+ in 2 seasons time when he gets his break. He doesn't need a loan to a top league to prove his worth. 

Better to go your own way than stay stagnant on PSG's bench. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

It is better but probably Celtic as a team aren't significantly worse than any promoted side. 

The bloke moved to Celtic at 19. He is now 22, 59 games and 37 goals in the last 2 seasons. 3 in 3 this season or 84 games 49 in total. However you put it it's impressive. Bad league maybe but the blokes going to be 100m+ in 2 seasons time when he gets his break. He doesn't need a loan to a top league to prove his worth. 

Better to go your own way than stay stagnant on PSG's bench. 

I think his problem is that Celtic are a very good Championship/lower Premier side playing against what is for the most part league 1 opposition - we've seen players we've had that have looked good in the early rounds of cups for example - some of them because they're genuinely classy and some because they're in a team that helps them look good. There's good evidence that Edouard has the ability to be a top quality player (his French age group record) but there's still an element of risk because he doesn't play against good sides week in and week out. Someone will take that risk and they'll either profit handsomely or they'll come unstuck and it'll cost them a fortune. 

The problem the the player has is that Celtic haven't attached a price for potential - they've attached a price for a fully developed top class footballer - and meeting that price is a big risk for another club - playing in Scotland unfortunately means that the player isn't able to prove that he's worth it.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think his problem is that Celtic are a very good Championship/lower Premier side playing against what is for the most part league 1 opposition - we've seen players we've had that have looked good in the early rounds of cups for example - some of them because they're genuinely classy and some because they're in a team that helps them look good. There's good evidence that Edouard has the ability to be a top quality player (his French age group record) but there's still an element of risk because he doesn't play against good sides week in and week out. Someone will take that risk and they'll either profit handsomely or they'll come unstuck and it'll cost them a fortune. 

The problem the the player has is that Celtic haven't attached a price for potential - they've attached a price for a fully developed top class footballer - and meeting that price is a big risk for another club - playing in Scotland unfortunately means that the player isn't able to prove that he's worth it.

Once you take the element of risk out and he performs well in a top league he is out of our league. 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Once you take the element of risk out and he performs well in a top league he is out of our league. 

You can't take the element of risk out though - it's a gamble. For the player, being at Celtic means he's not able to demonstrate that there isn't much risk. If they loaned him to West Ham for a month and he scored three times in five games it'd prove more than him scoring 40 goals in the SPL. 

54 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No, it's called common sense.

Well, no, it's not common sense at all. Common sense would be reading about how transfers work and understanding that they take time. It's not 'Alright Dave, I'll give ya a grand for yer old Fiesta, waddaya say?' ffs. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Well, no, it's not common sense at all. Common sense would be reading about how transfers work and understanding that they take time. It's not 'Alright Dave, I'll give ya a grand for yer old Fiesta, waddaya say?' ffs. 

Oh right so you don't contact the club and enquire on a price or make an offer to them....heard it all now.

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Oh right so you don't contact the club and enquire on a price or make an offer to them....heard it all now.

Please educate yourself. Here are some links that can help you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-window-premier-league-revealed-how-transfer-deal-really-works-a7837031.html

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/what-really-goes-on-behind-the-scenes-of-a-big-football-transfer

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I learned nothing from that and nothing I said about making contact to enquire what they seller wants or simply making an offer is disputed.

Leave it there, this is pointless.

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I learned nothing from that and nothing I said about making contact to enquire what they seller wants or simply making an offer is disputed.

Leave it there, this is pointless.

Yup, certainly is pointless if you've read what people who actually work in the industry have to say about it and ignore it all. 

• Like 1

As it stands we have this:

Watkins, Samatta, Davis, Wesley (Injured)

It could end up looking like this come Oct:

Edouard, Watkins, Samatta, Wesley (Injured) (Davis Loaned out)

Let's see what happens.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's see what happens.

I imagine it will be King instead of Edouard 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's see what happens.

Has there been a fresh hint we may be in for Edouard? Would be amazing if so.

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Could very well materialise that way.

Watkins, King, Samatta..

I think if Watkins cost about 8 mill less it - Édouard would probably still be possible.

However based on the fees bandied about for him and what we are about to pay, I can't see it.

Then again, we are due pleasant surprises, I know we aren't used to them much anymore, but it's different times!

Â