Jaden Philogene

Kingman

no one better than hull are interested. he's looked OK in pre season but hasn't set the world alight in his loans to date like archer has

and i'm sure we'll put in a buy back to cover ourselves anyway

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not that fussed about Philogene as I always thought it would be a stretch for him to be a regular here... I thought he'd attract a better suitor than Hull though, no disrespect to them.

We all agree that J Ramsey is a key player for us... he would never be given the opportunity here anymore. There has to be a balance between buying players for NOW and developing players for the future. All I hear is FFP and 'pure profit' but what about developing players so you don't need to pay £50m for someone?

I'm probably in the minority but I find it disappointing. 

If they excel and develop… we bring them back. If not, we keep the profit we made on them.

Simples.

Think of these deals as glorified loans which benefit us even moreso… if you like…

We’re just not used to these kind of dealings…

And we’re not used to acting like a big club… maybe we should embrace it…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If they excel and develop… we bring them back. If not, we keep the profit we made on them.

Simples.

Think of these deals as glorified loans which benefit us even moreso… if you like…

We’re just not used to these kind of dealings…

And we’re not used to acting like a big club… maybe we should embrace it…

That’s all fine, provided we don’t pick up many more severe injuries.

Maybe there is another winger/wide forward coming in on the back of these possible departures. Because it’s looking a bit threadbare in certain areas now.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

That’s all fine, provided we don’t pick up many more severe injuries.

Maybe there is another winger/wide forward coming in on the back of these possible departures. Because it’s looking a bit threadbare in certain areas now.

I’m certain that there are more signings on the way. 

See Unai and Monchi’s latest comments too.

Active and alert until deadline.

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m certain that there are more signings on the way. 

See Unai and Monchi’s latest comments too.

Active and alert until deadline.

You should book a holiday and relax for a bit when the window slams shut ;) 

Reporter who's saying Philogene to Hull, is also saying they've got another signing lined up from the second city, but whether it's another from us, small heath, or maybe player born in Birmingham I don't know.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Reporter who's saying Philogene to Hull, is also saying they've got another signing lined up from the second city, but whether it's another from us, small heath, or maybe player born in Birmingham I don't know.

Davis?

Anyway, back OT - a bit surprised by this, but he's just got so much in front of him that it's hard to see him making himself undroppable. He's a "proper" winger, which we don't really play with. I thought we'd keep him around if we had 2 or 3 injuries (like say Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho..) and maybe have given him minutes in Europe to rest/protect Bailey, but FFP profit is FFP profit...

Shame.

Edited by StewieGriffin

We play with one winger, just one in the first team, the other side plays more centrally in order to let the fullback run past. We have Diaby, Zaniolo, Bailey, Traore and even McGinn potentially ahead of him in the first team. He was never going to get significant playing time this season, which won't help him develop. Leaving to get more minutes was vital for him. Hopefully there is a buy back clause but either way he will bring in a seven figure sum for us to invest in the squad.

I think turnover of squad generates income and can help us move forward. If one of our young talents go on to become quality footballers we just re-sign them with the buy back. It'll be rare event if one we decided to sell makes it to be a top player and if they do we didn't have to invest a huge amount of time into them on the pitch. 

Also it's possible we don't think we'll get a buyer for Traore so will offer him a new deal and keep him as squad player rather than lose him for free. He can certainly offer something still to the squad as he showed last season. 

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think turnover of squad generates income and can help us move forward. If one of our young talents go on to become quality footballers we just re-sign them with the buy back. It'll be rare event if one we decided to sell makes it to be a top player and if they do we didn't have to invest a huge amount of time into them on the pitch. 

Also it's possible we don't think we'll get a buyer for Traore so will offer him a new deal and keep him as squad player rather than lose him for free. He can certainly offer something still to the squad as he showed last season. 

You would imagine that Traore offers more this season than Philgene.

I suppose it’s all part of our new business model - develop and nurture young talent and if they’re good enough for us we use them.

If they need more time, sell them for a decent price with a possible option of bringing them back if they prove themselves.

Fans will always get behind an academy product and always want them to make it so it’s natural there’s a little resentment and disappointment when they’re sold on. 

• Like 1

Just now, thunderball said:

You would imagine that Traore offers more this season than Philgene.

Yes for sure, has plenty of European football experience too. Plus is an international and a right footed winger. If we don't have a suitable offer then give him a new contract (2 year extension) it reduces his remaining amortisation by 2/3rds and we can find a buyer next summer. 

He can play in cup games and we have seen offers something on PL as his goals last season were key for us. Seems a very well liked member of the squad too.

Philogene needs to be playing regularly. So if we have had a bid we deem acceptable and we insert our usual buy back then best of luck Philogene 

For what we can get for him (at best 3-4m) I'd rather keep him until at least Jan. He can play in cup/euro games and if we are defending a lead with 10-15 mins left and we want to bring someone on to protect the full backs I'd pick him over Bailey, Traore, Coutinho in that instance. He's probably the best all round winger we have in that he can contribute in attack and defence very well, likely the quickest too.

I didn't think he was going to be good enough to add to the squad but he looked very good in pre-season, did enough to keep around IMO.

• Like 1

Emery wants top players now, he isn't going to wait around for the likes of Philogene, Aaron Ramsey and Archer.

Emery wants success now, it's tough but it's the way it is.

Buy back clauses at least do not completely cut ties for the sentimental Villa fans.

Aaron Ramsey is the only one of the youngsters rumoured to be selling that I'm particularly disappointed about, and I think he has the best chance of returning, I'd feel similarly about Iroegbunam if he left on a similar deal, those two are the ones I've had the most hope for from their age group, Bogarde too, but injury delayed his development.

Philogene and Archer have both done fantastically well, whether part of our squad or moving on to teams in the top two divisions, but always felt like there was a chance they would be leaving sooner or later.

Philogene fee is apparently low, I'd guess around £5m at the most, so there will be a low-buy-back clause, meaning if he has a fantastic season in the Championship we can etiher buy him back for us or to sell on to another team.

• Like 2

Â