Jaden Philogene

Kingman

With a bit of confidence and some game time, I’m convinced we could have a real player on our hands here. The key is for him to remain injury free.

He’ll already be at a point where he can offer as much as Traore and Bailey I suspect. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Well, if he ain't 'one of our own' we could just sing 'He's been out on loan' instead. 

"He's been out on loan, he's been out on looooooooooooan
Jaden Philogene-Bidace, he's been out on loan"

"He can do it, he can do it, he can do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke... he can do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke"

I mean, sure, neither quite go with the tune.  BUT...

58 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think he is already as effective as Bertie and isn't far from bailey in terms of quality .

Would be more than happy to have him in the squad this season

Already as effective as Bertie? You sure about that?

6p5zSgx_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

He needs to prove it, if he is.

Edited by Tom13

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yes Bert has a fantastic goalscoring record but there’s a reason why Emery didn’t utilities him once Bailey returned from injury .

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Personally, I’d rather see Philogene (or Philogene-Bidace) in the squad over Traore if it was a simple choice of one or the other.

They seem to be relatively similar but we know Traore isn’t good enough for where we want to be. Philogene (Philogene-Bidace) could do the backup role well enough on -assumed- far less money. 

Looking at his stats, I'm actually amazed how many bookings he picked up in Ligue 1 and Eredivisie given his calm nature 🤣

Btw @bobzy I don't disagree with that, I'd persist with Philogene as well as he obviously has potential, and I'm one of Bertie's biggest fans. But to say he's already as effective isn't true IMO. At least in terms of attacking output.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes Bert has a fantastic goalscoring record but there’s a reason why Emery didn’t utilities him once Bailey returned from injury .

Yeah this is a fair point. Bertie lacks in some areas.

Philogene offers a lot out of possession, he's a big lad too and right footed winger / wing back. I think it would benefit us and him if he stuck around with Archer until January at least learning from Emery and team and playing a part in EFL Cup and ECL games, plus mins off the bench 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah this is a fair point. Bertie lacks in some areas.

Every player has flaws but sometimes the positives far outweigh the negatives for example Ollie Watkins, I’m not sure if this is the case with Traore. And I’m saying this about one of my favourite Villa players in Bert.

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think he is already as effective as Bertie and isn't far from bailey in terms of quality .

Would be more than happy to have him in the squad this season

If Traore and Bailey played in the Championship I'm fairly sure they'd have scored more than 4 goals and would very likely rip it up. We're judging them at a far higher level.

Not to say Philogene won't make it, but playing well in a couple of friendlies doesn't mean anything at this stage. I personally thought he was very underwhelming at Cardiff and didn't have a future here after that spell so surprised how well he has done in preseason and how much Emery is playing him, but we won't know if he can actually make it here until he delivers in meaningful Premier League games.

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

If Traore and Bailey played in the Championship I'm fairly sure they'd have scored more than 4 goals and would very likely rip it up. We're judging them at a far higher level.

Not to say Philogene won't make it, but playing well in a couple of friendlies doesn't mean anything at this stage. I personally thought he was very underwhelming at Cardiff and didn't have a future here after that spell so surprised how well he has done in preseason and how much Emery is playing him, but we won't know if he can actually make it here until he delivers in meaningful Premier League games.

You might be totally right but also it could be that Jaden plays better with better players. He had it tough at Cardiff with managerial and positional changes along with a difficult season at the bottom echelons of the Champ. With better players on his wavelength he might be able to make it . If he stays then as you say he will have to prove he can hack it in the Prem. Something i believe he will be able to do. If we look at how Emery improved our players consistency then its not inconceivable that he will be able to do the same for Jaden. Thats what he is missing. All the talent in the world but he needs to deliver more often. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 16:26, villa4europe said:

Commentary on his goal is shit, he didn't arrive at the back post he made a brilliant cut in to the middle leaving the defender for dead, his movement created the goal

How could we possibly expect a professional football broadcaster to know the difference between back post, front post, middle post, last post?

22 hours ago, allani said:

Posted on another thread earlier - but shouldn't we be renaming this thread?

JP-B.jpg

iirc, he dropped the Bidace last year & the commentators have been only saying Philogene… not sure if that will change on his jersey though 

42 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

iirc, he dropped the Bidace last year & the commentators have been only saying Philogene… not sure if that will change on his jersey though 

I made that same mistake in another thread, but apparently he hasn't legally changed his name and has been playing in preseason with Philogene-Bidace on his shirt again. Maybe it was just for his Cardiff loan he made that change? I guess we will know when the season starts properly.

31 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I made that same mistake in another thread, but apparently he hasn't legally changed his name and has been playing in preseason with Philogene-Bidace on his shirt again. Maybe it was just for his Cardiff loan he made that change? I guess we will know when the season starts properly.

Probably something as simple as he fell out with his mum or dad and has now made up with them . 

• Like 1

I have a good feeling about him. He seems to have beast mode vibes, lots of confidence and has that strut about him that the best players have. I’m so desperate for one of our talents to make it and usurp the Grealish memory. 

A front 3 of Bertie, Philogene-Bidace and A.Ramsey would be fun. None of them would know what the other two were gonna do or what they are gonna do themselves. Good luck to the defender trying to set themselves 

Â