Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I really hope not.

Yes he's scored lots of goals but when it came to the crunch the ball was flying under his foot at 1-1 v Barnsley and thought he was very average last night. Not a striker who can really create chances in tight games like Benteke could.

If he has to come in it's as a squad striker. Making him number one would be repeating mistakes of Gestede imo.

Reminds me of Che Adams signing for Southampton last year and Southampton forgetting that Jutkewicz had set up half his goals.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, Zatman said:

46 goals in 3 seasons in Championship isnt bad, he played wide the first 2 seasons 

It’s really important to remember this when looking at the stats. It looks like he had two average seasons in front of goal prior to this excellent one, but they were both out wide.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

hoping with 4 strikers (wes, sama, watkins, 1 other) smith will go 2 up top more regularly

He will not.

Smith will always play 4-3-3. Always

Samatta "needs help". Non sense. A proper striker can hold his own and should't have to have the need of someone babysitting him.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

I really hope not.

Yes he's scored lots of goals but when it came to the crunch the ball was flying under his foot at 1-1 v Barnsley and thought he was very average last night. Not a striker who can really create chances in tight games like Benteke could.

If he has to come in it's as a squad striker. Making him number one would be repeating mistakes of Gestede imo.

Gestede would never have scored 26 goals in a season.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s really important to remember this when looking at the stats. It looks like he had two average seasons in front of goal prior to this excellent one, but they were both out wide.

I think he'd play out wide here tbh, too much of a risk ot have him as senior striker in premier league. We've gambled massively in that position in last decade and it's not really worked out well.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

He will not.

Smith will always play 4-3-3. Always

well he didn't vs burnley and we won. unfortunately one of our only 2 recongnised strikers got injured that day. he couldn't play sama and davis together because then we'd have no one to bring off the bench.

4 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Why didn't we just trigger the release clause in Jan instead of purchasing Samatta? 

My understanding from what I've read is that the clause only activated once they failed to be promoted

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think he'd play out wide here tbh, too much of a risk ot have him as senior striker in premier league. We've gambled massively in that position in last decade and it's not really worked out well.

He should play a similar role that Antonio does for West Ham. Same attributes. 

1 minute ago, ramshackler said:

Believe the clause only activated if not promoted

annoyingly it was only 10m last summer, apparently. presumably that expired when the summer window shut

I watched Brentfords last 4 games, didnt stand out at all for me, though he did take the one goal well. He did however miss a few good chances

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Definitely the best option for both parties with maybe the view to him being moved more central once he's got some decent prem time under his belt. Cant really see him being against that either.

Edited by JayDeePee

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I suppose it depends what our other signings are. If he starts upfront and doesn’t do well, at least he has another position he is good at. 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Squad player?

It really doesn't take much to be a better player than both Wes and Samatta.

Agree I think Wes and Samatta will also be squad options - but Watkins can play wide too. I think we'll loan Davis out and see whether he can learn to score. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Gestede would never have scored 26 goals in a season.

22 goals for Blackburn the season before we signed him.

Think he scored 14 the year before so not that far off Watkins and Blackburn were nowhere as good as Brentford.

Jordan Rhodes scored 21 goals in 14/15 aswell.

I was probably a little too harsh in my previous post. I'll rephrase that by staying I'm o.k if he's coming in but he can't be our main striker signing. It surely can't be too much to ask to find an experienced international standard striker from one of the euro leagues who's got a decent scoring record?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

He should play a similar role that Antonio does for West Ham. Same attributes. 

Yeah that's a good point actually. We really need an Antonio type in our front 3 who has excellent workrate and can also hustle defenders constantly. Add in 10 goals aswell.

9 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Why didn't we just trigger the release clause in Jan instead of purchasing Samatta? 

I have a few theories on this

1. Brentford looked like they could go up and we could go down so might not be as attractive for watkins

2. Smiths relationship with frank he didnt wanna screw him over if there was a chance they coukd come up

3. FFP

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

22 goals for Blackburn the season before we signed him.

Think he scored 14 the year before so not that far off Watkins and Blackburn were nowhere as good as Brentford.

Jordan Rhodes scored 21 goals in 14/15 aswell.

I was probably a little too harsh in my previous post. I'll rephrase that by staying I'm o.k if he's coming in but he can't be our main striker signing. It surely can't be too much to ask to find an experienced international standard striker from one of the euro leagues who's got a decent scoring record?

Not for £18m I don’t think I’m afraid.

Â