Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Thoroughly deserving of his start. I’d love him to grab a couple of goals tonight, and really announce himself as an England international.

He will only get 50-60mins so I hope he can score. No goals puts Toney ahead of him straight away.

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Haha this is so funny.

Totally agree with both of them but surely he understands why a Celtic-supporting Scotsman would want England to lose 🤣 McGinn definitely keeps a lid on it doesn't he.

Always remember him on the pitch with Grealish after the play off final and some pundit made them both wave to Prince William 'our future king'. McGinn definitely didn't look fully comfortable with it

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

5 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

He will only get 50-60mins so I hope he can score. No goals puts Toney ahead of him straight away.

If Southgate had anything about him he wouldn't base his selections off 50-60 mins here and there. But he doesn't, so....

• Thanks 1

Gets so few chances. Every corner goes far post . It just shows  that Emerys system is based on getting the ball to Watkins in dangerous areas. Southgates is get it to Maguire .

42 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Watkins getting his 15th appearance tonight. He's played a lot more than we realise. Good chance for him. Expect Toney to also get a chance, would be stupid if we didn't do that. 

It's his 10th cap.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hows he played? 

Been ok, poor service tbh, run the channels well, had one great chance that the defender got a nick to. Solid enough but nothing to cement a spot ahead of Toney if that’s his competition. Has played full 90 so wonder if Toney will get the Belgium game.

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hows he played? 

I think he's been poor in frankly a terrible attacking set up, he's not made runs that I think he would have done for villa, doesn't look as sure that he will get the ball so he doesn't look as hungry 

Missed a big chance that was actually I really good tackle on him 

Every England player in an attacking sense bar Bellingham hasn't been good 

I thought he held it up really well and tried to force good situations out of nothing a couple of times as well. Although Gordon tried I thought he was lacking quality, and Foden did absolutely nothing all game. So the service he had was seriously lacking.

• Like 1

He had no service whatsoever, not only were no chances created for him, it didn't even look like the other England players were trying to create a chance for him, he wasn't even being given the ball in areas where he could perhaps try and create a chance for himself, the few times he did get the ball in the box albeit wide, he managed to play dangerous balls across the area.

• Like 1

Thought he was ok, was feeding off scraps - he had a nice little link up with Gordon, and got the ball a few times in the channel.  Only really had a half a chance (defender got a good toe in).  Weird that a team full of class players can’t adapt their game to suite those playing - played a normal England system for Kane but without Kane.

Can see Toney getting most of the minutes on Tuesday, which is good for Villa but not for Ollies summer.

Looked like most other players in that team and they all seemed to have no idea what they were supposed to be doing. No patterns of play or anything (which is kinda expected in International football I guess?). 

That's not me saying I think Ollie was bad, he wasn't. Barely had a sniff. 

The whole Southgate system is based on Kane dropping deep, the players look clueless when he doesn’t play. Watkins was fine, had no service. Doesn’t help having wide men who constantly look to come inside and shoot. We will waste another tournament with Southgate in charge. England are flat track bullies who always struggle against half decent teams. That Brazil team is probably one of the poorest I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Service or not he was pretty terrible. Played in 2nd gear and never imposed himself on anyone.

he plays the system Southgate wants him to and was no worse than anyone else in the final third, no blame on him whatsoever

• Like 2

Â