Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Oliie needs to get firing the last half of the season, or else with all the media hype of that gambling crook,  he may well get on the plane ahead of him. I'm sure Gareth will be willing to swollow his pride, knowing Toney is likely going to a 'big' club in the summer.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is that 1 in 9 now?

Yeah another one of those runs. Good news is within 1-10 games more he’ll kick into action and look like a world beater again. 

In fairness to him in most of those 9 games I’d guess we’ve created very few chances don’t remember him missing that many sitters. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

It’s a difficult one imo - Ollie is a good player, of this there is little doubt - but is he the striker to propel us into the next level?  Look none of us want to be that guy who says no - but I do have questions in my own mind as to his technique and hold up ability.

He seems like a genuine guy and his contribution cannot be underplayed.

I would love to see Hee - Chan from Wolves bought in to support Ollie, I think this combination covers all aspects of the game.

Bizarre how consistently inconsistent he is. He will always score like 8 in 8, then 1 in 9, then another 8 in 8. Every single time. Never a middle ground. It's kinda funny.

54 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

It’s a difficult one imo - Ollie is a good player, of this there is little doubt - but is he the striker to propel us into the next level?  Look none of us want to be that guy who says no - but I do have questions in my own mind as to his technique and hold up ability.

I would love to see Hee - Chan from Wolves bought in to support Ollie, I think this combination covers all aspects of the game.

personally i think the answer is no.

thats not saying i dont rate him, he has his qualities, but i dont think he is that next level of striker.

i see him as a top striker for a team from maybe........6th or 7th and lower, i dont see him as a consistent/top 4/5 striker.

His technical ability is just too poor to be that next level of player, great workrate, great effort, good pace, has his moments of magic, but overall, poor technically, and top teams tend to require players with more technical ability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

The difficult thing for me is two fold with villa fans 

Firstly this guaranteed goalscorer doesn't exist, the number 9 is dying a death, the striker market is shit, said this many times I see Liverpool paying £80m for nunez, he ain't better than Ollie, it's salah and their multiple goalscorers that cover for him, I simply don't believe that we are buying anyone better

Secondly the expectation of ollie is seemingly that he does something that no has done for 40 years, score the 20 goals, you look at who hasn't done it for us Atkinson, Yorke, Saunders, carew, benteke, angel, gabby... Ollie is up there with the best players who preceded him but there's an unfair expectation for him to be something that we've never really had

I personally don't see an ex villa striker that I could genuinely say if we had him we'd be better, I'm not looking at this team and our set up saying if we had prime benteke rather than Ollie we'd be winning tonight 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

personally i think the answer is no.

thats not saying i dont rate him, he has his qualities, but i dont think he is that next level of striker.

i see him as a top striker for a team from maybe........6th or 7th and lower, i dont see him as a consistent/top 4/5 striker.

His technical ability is just too poor to be that next level of player, great workrate, great effort, good pace, has his moments of magic, but overall, poor technically, and top teams tend to require players with more technical ability.

Who are these top strikers? Tell me the names!

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Yeah another one of those runs. Good news is within 1-10 games more he’ll kick into action and look like a world beater again. 

In fairness to him in most of those 9 games I’d guess we’ve created very few chances don’t remember him missing that many sitters. 

We can't afford for these 1 in 9 runs to keep happening.

At times the weaknesses in his game are a huge hindrance.

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Who are these top strikers? Tell me the names!

you honestly think Watkins is elite and good enough for a side who desires to consistently challenge for the top 4?

Do i really, actually need to reel off strikers in the world who are better than Watkins?

(ie: if we somehow got CL this season, and maybe next season, lets assume we luck out and manage such a thing, then we had a big amount of money so spunk on a striker, and lets assume we could attract them, are you seriously telling me you cant name strikers out there, who are better than Watkins?)

i dont know why ppl get so defensive, im not saying hes a bad striker, im saying he is a good striker with many strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses, and that i dont think he is "elite", is that such a wappy opinion for ppl to understand?

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

Bizarre how consistently inconsistent he is. He will always score like 8 in 8, then 1 in 9, then another 8 in 8. Every single time. Never a middle ground. It's kinda funny.

This is all strikers except for the handful of elite goal-a-game strikers.

If you’re a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 type of striker, then those goals are going to come in streaks.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you honestly think Watkins is elite and good enough for a side who desires to consistently challenge for the top 4?

Do i really, actually need to reel off strikers in the world who are better than Watkins?

(ie: if we somehow got CL this season, and maybe next season, lets assume we luck out and manage such a thing, then we had a big amount of money so spunk on a striker, and lets assume we could attract them, are you seriously telling me you cant name strikers out there, who are better than Watkins?)

i dont know why ppl get so defensive, im not saying hes a bad striker, im saying he is a good striker with many strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses, and that i dont think he is "elite", is that such a wappy opinion for ppl to understand?

Woah calm! Those are Unai’s words, not mine. 

But as he said, what are the names? To the larger point, with all the missing pieces in the squad, it still falls on our leading goals and assists striker to bail us out. 

I agree he’s not that elite guy but also very low on the replacement list for UCL competition. 

Fickle fans is a deserved monikor for us Villa fans ( well some ) best striker we’ve had since Yorke and 3rd only to Salah & Haaland yet that’s still not enough for some 😆 it’s **** nuts 

is the criticism coming from posters who think Solanke  would be a good purchase cause if so go and look at his figures, then come back with some rationality. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

Just now, thabucks said:

Fickle fans is a deserved monikor for us Villa fans ( well some ) best striker we’ve had since Yorke and 3rd only to Salah & Haaland yet that’s still not enough for some 😆 it’s **** nuts 

Yep, you see a new post from some posters and 99% chance it's another whinge 

• Like 1

Â