Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I know these kind of articles are completely arbitrary, but how does Watkins come 98th in the Guardian's 100 best male footballers when Darwin Nunez is 78th? By any metric Watkins has been one of the best strikers in Europe this calendar year and yet Nunez, Lukaku, Isak etc. are all above him. Do these things get rated on 'vibes' or what? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

FA Cup 3rd round against the usual. We’re 2-0 and I’m giving Van Nistelrooy dogs abuse called him a horse too. This is down by the Holte Trinity corner. 

After the game he casually walks over having scored two and imitates a horse rider. Respect mr nistlerooy respect. 

Ollie can go up a level with this new found bite. 

So............It was all your fault.😃

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I know these kind of articles are completely arbitrary, but how does Watkins come 98th in the Guardian's 100 best male footballers when Darwin Nunez is 78th? By any metric Watkins has been one of the best strikers in Europe this calendar year and yet Nunez, Lukaku, Isak etc. are all above him. Do these things get rated on 'vibes' or what? 

Yeah I wrote that

😛

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

At least he's on the list. That's progress. Our players usually get overlooked (except Emi). I would be pleasantly surprised to see Doug on the list too, but he probably would have been in the 71-100 range too. We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Unless that's a list of footballers who miss clear cut chances then no way should Darwin ever be ranked above Ollie. Go ahead and toss that out with the trash in morning. 

On 18/12/2023 at 18:22, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nice! 🙄

FB_IMG_1702923728540.jpg

Soz mods can't link as the bloke has now locked his profile.

And another...

20231218_213332.jpg

They've OBS since either closed their accounts of been reprimanded, but there is some proper filth about which almost makes you ashamed to be a football fan 🤦🏿‍♂️

It should certainly make them ashamed and hopefully Brentford and decent fans of Brentford should be ashamed too and call them out for their hateful stupid words. There are lowlife idiots all over the world sadly. 

On 18/12/2023 at 17:35, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think they are though are they? Just like every club they have their fair share of scumbags.  Always considered them to have a friendly fanbase to be honest. 

The fact is, the less successful a club is the more they’re liked by opposition fans and visa versa. We can all give lots of reasons why we don’t like “the top 4” and many reasons are perfectly valid but ultimately we don’t like them because of their success, particularly against us, I’m looking forward to an era of hating less and being hated more!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The fact is, the less successful a club is the more they’re liked by opposition fans and visa versa. We can all give lots of reasons why we don’t like “the top 4” and many reasons are perfectly valid but ultimately we don’t like them because of their success, particularly against us, I’m looking forward to an era of hating less and being hated more!

True but I’d say knowing supporters make a difference too. I don’t like Chelsea or City but I much preferred them winning things over United, Liverpool and Arsenal. Simply because I don’t know any of their fans. 

I know way too many arrogant fans personally of the 3 big clubs and they can be unbearable at times. 

Anyway back to Ollie. I’ve no doubt he will one day be our highest Premier League goal scorer.  

• Like 1

I genuinely think Solanke might take his Euro 2024 spot at this rate and he'd only have himself to blame. Solanke has scored three more goals in a worse team and is in great form, if he keeps that form going I really wouldn't be surprised to see Southgate call him up over Watkins who isn't clinical enough and too often is anonymous in games that aren't being played to his strengths. Barely noticed him again last night. 

I thought he actually played really well in the first half, some really good 1 touch passes to send Bailey and JJ ahead and was a constant threat when the ball was played into him. 

But he started becoming more isolated in the second half as United pressed hard and the play was shifted away from him to our right. 

21 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I genuinely think Solanke might take his Euro 2024 spot at this rate and he'd only have himself to blame. Solanke has scored three more goals in a worse team and is in great form, if he keeps that form going I really wouldn't be surprised to see Southgate call him up over Watkins who isn't clinical enough and too often is anonymous in games that aren't being played to his strengths. Barely noticed him again last night. 

How many chances as Olly missed in last 2 games , he has zero service .He is a know quality teams are actively working to stop him now. Solanke is in good form ( as are Bournmouth who are top of the current form table)  but this is the first time in year's he has been prolific soon teams will target him like Watkins.

4 minutes ago, Nabby said:

How many chances as Olly missed in last 2 games , he has zero service .He is a know quality teams are actively working to stop him now. Solanke is in good form ( as are Bournmouth who are top of the current form table)  but this is the first time in year's he has been prolific soon teams will target him like Watkins.

It's not the chances he's missed the last two games, it's just his lack of involvement. It's no surprise that it's led to us dropping points. I also thought he was anonymous at Brentford but he did come up with the winning goal thankfully although they were down to 10 by that point.

I agree that Solanke up to this season hasn't done much and I think Ollie is better overall, but Solanke has a couple of things over him: he's played a lot for the England youth teams so will be favoured from that, and he's more like Kane in his style of play which Southgate likes as that's why he loved Calvert Lewin for so long. Also to have 12 goals for a midtable team at this stage is pretty incredible, I didn't think Solanke had it in him tbh. 

Ollie desperately needs to find some form soon because this hasn't been a good month for him and his levels have dropped from October and November. Hopefully it's just a blip and he goes on a goalscoring run starting with Burnley. We do need to start getting the ball to him more though I agree. 

Looks like he hasn’t been able to trap a bag of cement since the Arsenal game. 

Very streaky player. Will go 5/6 games and get 3 goals and a couple of assists and then he’ll dry up for a while. At least, that’s the way it seems to me.

Whats odd about Watkins is he doesn’t necessarily suit an Emery style of play in many regards, or at least, at lot of his key attributes aren’t necessarily used. He’s brilliant at turning long balls into possession for us and running the channels but not really asked to do that with the way he play. 

I really like Watkins but his streaky form does aggravate me. I’m not advocating replacing him at all, but I do think a good striker would really love playing in our system. As long as they can hold the ball up and run in behind when played in, I feel as though there are a lot of players out there who could score a lot of goals for us. I don’t think Duran is quite ready.

• Like 2

Â