Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

18 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I don’t think anyone has suggested we will be.

I think that the point some are making here is that Ollie is a very good footballer, but not elite.

His weakness in my humble opinion is a lacking in technical  ability - quite evident last night, again imo - but that does not mean that - we are not happy he is in our team.

I would like to see a striker with a different skill set to come and support Ollie and play a different role as and when needed.

This I feel could help us even further in our transition.

I like Ollie - but i would love to see some help for him. Duran might do this in time.

I agree with the overall sentiment of that.

Folk say the Elite strikers are not around, intimating there is a shortage.....while that may be so, but its not addressing the point entirely imv.

A while back it was the trend to play 2 upfront, and the trick was to play 2 forwards with contrasting styles.....Gray/Little....Dalgleish/ Rush.....Withe/Shaw......Cole/Yorke......Shearer/ Sutton......Quinn/Phillips...etc etc

One compliments the other.......its a big ask for one player to do both....one plays off the other, and its easier to hold the ball up.

In modern football many clubs play with one up front to overload midfield....that leaves the striker, to be relied up on to produce, so many skill sets, to be effective....its a big ask.

I agree with most, Ollie is as good as we get, and if we put him up for sale, there would be no shortage of suitors....but I still think he could do a bit better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Tonight Tyler said he was the quickest villa player to 50 league goals

I'm guessing he meant since sky invented football? Which sounds great and congrats Ollie but let's face he's up against Yorke and Gabby

Still, I hope that's the monkey off his back 

Disallowed goal was a quality finish 

When's the last Villa player with double digit goals and assists?

Young mk 1?

Edit: Yorke 95-96 seems like

Edited by DJBOB

That first half an hour was him at his best, relentless, hard working, a well taken finish, a good assist, and a bit unlucky not to have another.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Brilliant but why the **** did he play 90 mins?

He played 50+ games in the championship

I wouldn't worry too much

Â