Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Torres getting a lot of stick defensively but Watkins Wingers and midfield mostly McGinn as much to blame today.

Liverpool had a makeshift defence at best today with their main 2 CB's out having to field Joe Gomez and we still couldn't score.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Torres getting a lot of stick defensively but Watkins Wingers and midfield mostly McGinn as much to blame today.

Liverpool had a makeshift defence at best today with their main 2 CB's out having to field Joe Gomez and we still couldn't score.

I'm afraid Ollie has been pathetic so far this season.

Literally the only thing I've been impressed with was the first header against Hibs.

Not sure if just underperforming or something is up. Moping over not getting the contract offer he wants perhaps.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm afraid Ollie has been pathetic so far this season.

Literally the only thing I've been impressed with was the first header against Hibs.

Not sure if just underperforming or something is up. Moping over not getting the contract offer he wants perhaps.

I think he could find himself dropped soon enough if Zaniolo starts playing well. I feel the obvious choice is Zaniolo as the deeper 10 and Diaby as the striker. You then play Ramsey and McGinn on the flanks either side of Luiz and Kamara. I feel as though that’s the only system we can play if we want to drop Ollie. Duran isn’t at the required level yet. 

• Like 2

He’ll score soon and all we’ll hear is how good he is. When he’s good he’s great, when he’s poor he’s really poor and he has long streaks of both.  The fact we don’t have a proper alternative for those down times is criminal.

• Like 4

If anyone saw Hojland for Utd, he very quickly won two long balls exactly like Ollie does when he's on it.

Backing into defenders, hassling, being an absolute pain in the hoop! Don't be easy to play against Ollie, you're better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

This thread sums up why I don’t come on this forum as much as I used to, so quick to turn on players always!

If he doesn’t sign a contract and goes elsewhere, you’ll see how we miss him!

Agreed.

Judging by several comments here, it’s as though he was responsible for how poor we were today… that wasn’t the case. Did anyone even play well? Konsa seemed like the only one up for the battle… and Emi as usual.

McGinn was anonymous and is relied on too heavily…when was the last time we played well when he didn’t? Or didn’t play. Was it under Danks vs Brentford (followed by a whipping from Newcastle)? Others need to step up…

Any striker needs quality and consistent service to thrive… don’t think the CF should be the no.1 target when the whole team plays like shit…

It was a bad day and poor performance all round… doesn’t and shouldn’t define our season or define our judgement of any player… even Pau… (who will come good,  if you trust Unai then trust Pau… he is his man).

It’s not easy to stomach defeats and poor showings but we have to stick with it, there will be ups and downs…for individual players too.

Let’s not forget what Unai and players such as Ollie managed to do last season…there is definitely plenty of “credit in the bank”… a bit of faith and belief will go a long way.

Ollie is going to get plenty of goals for us this season…

UTV

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I'm a big fan of Ollie and don't understand the stick he gets sometimes, but today he was miles off it.  Not talking about chance conversion or goal-scoring here, but he just looked lethargic and was giving their back four all the time in the world on the ball.  Lost cont of the number of passes that TAA and others pinged forward with no pressure.... Hopefully a one-off bad day at the office.

50 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed.

Judging by several comments here, it’s as though he was responsible for how poor we were today… that wasn’t the case. Did anyone even play well? Konsa seemed like the only one up for the battle… and Emi as usual.

McGinn was anonymous and is relied on too heavily…when was the last time we played well when he didn’t? Or didn’t play. Was it under Danks vs Brentford (followed by a whipping from Newcastle)? Others need to step up…

Any striker needs quality and consistent service to thrive… don’t think the CF should be the no.1 target when the whole team plays like shit…

It was a bad day and poor performance all round… doesn’t and shouldn’t define our season or define our judgement of any player… even Pau… (who will come good,  if you trust Unai then trust Pau… he is his man).

It’s not easy to stomach defeats and poor showings but we have to stick with it, there will be ups and downs…for individual players too.

Let’s not forget what Unai and players such as Ollie managed to do last season…there is definitely plenty of “credit in the bank”… a bit of faith and belief will go a long way.

Ollie is going to get plenty of goals for us this season…

UTV

Nah it was all Ollie's fault, Archer would've scored 10 goals and the season is already over. 

• Haha 1

I really like Watkins but he's got some flaws.

Today he was pretty poor and noticeable how disjointed the link up was with Diaby. It's like he wasn't on the same wavelength a couple of times where Villa had a chance to hurt the Liverplop defence.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I really like Watkins but he's got some flaws.

Today he was pretty poor and noticeable how disjointed the link up was with Diaby. It's like he wasn't on the same wavelength a couple of times where Villa had a chance to hurt the Liverplop defence.

That's the one flaw I think will continue to be a problem as season goes on unless he can step up...Diaby's passing and speed of thought is really too quick for him.

Next step will be to buy a CF on Diaby's wavelength which won't be easy.

• Like 1

One goal in eleven now. To be honest it annoyed me when he gave that interview about being pleased when Ings was sold. He's not good enough to have such a high opinion of himself and I hope his comments didn't filter through into the summer transfer activity.

He wasn't the only poor player today, but goodness me he offered nothing today. You got quality in Diaby next to you, f****g talk to him, get something going instead of just waiting for balls on a plate. When he's on it, most of his goals are from quality passes.

• Like 1

I like Ollie, he has good games and bad, and runs hot and cold. That’s what he is. That’s our level currently.

I feel we will go for another striker in January and sell Ollie next summer. I don’t think it’s easy to find better strikers than him, but I think we are looking. And the fact we let Archer go suggests to me that we might have someone lined up.

11 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I like Ollie, he has good games and bad, and runs hot and cold. That’s what he is. That’s our level currently.

I feel we will go for another striker in January and sell Ollie next summer. I don’t think it’s easy to find better strikers than him, but I think we are looking. And the fact we let Archer go suggests to me that we might have someone lined up.

Why would we go for one in January and not this summer?

Hes a below par finisher but it's the rest of his game that makes up for it usually but hes been off it a bit so far with just not protecting the ball enough, some slopping passing and decision making.

Think given that he tends to peel off to the left he will likely improve with the return of Moreno and Ramsey.

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He had a bad game but he's been excellent under Emery. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Hmmm excellent is a stretch, and that's only been in patches. One goal in his last 11 league games now (the tap in VS Brighton which was down to Ramsey's great running), and his poor passing/technique is almost always present. I don't criticise him for the sake of it, I grow frustrated when I see moves break down because of him.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Â