Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 08/11/2022 at 15:55, TRO said:

I can only see it being a roll of the dice, and chance our luck on one with Potential.

Enter Cameron Archer... 

This is the thing, we could just give him 10-20 game stretch to see if he can become the main man, but because of our league position it will be difficult to do this. 

I do think Watkins' game will improve under Emery though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The managers formation seemed to suit both Watkins and Bailey.

Imagine coming up with a formation that actually suited the players at your disposal!? Can't decide whether it takes experience, talent, or lack of ego to be able to see so clearly, or maybe all 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

In my mind, the very definition of a great striker is that they score when they wouldn't be expected to, and Watkins is clearly not that, but for a recently promoted club, who are not equipped to dominate the ball, Watkins has been an excellent fit for Villa.

I think that the proof of Villa's shortfall is that playing Ings as well as Watkins, sacrifices a man where Villa have been relatively weak, in midfield.

If Villa can solve their midfield problems, then the opposition will have to press higher up the pitch, which will provide more space behind for Watkins to exploit with his pace.

I can't say I have never wished Watkins was a better finisher but his unselfish work off and on the ball, makes him essential to Villa's present set-up.

However, great strikers are consistent, so scoring them, when you expect them to, is still valid, too.

That at the end of the brilliant Bailey run isn't he's shit or he's not good enough that's a guy who's head is long gone

Its at the stage now where ill defend him still cos I like him but he needs the time out the team for his own good

Hope he enjoys his break and finds whatever it is that's missing over the next month cos if he doesn't I don't where we go with him, his good running can't be enough

• Confused 1

Saw the best and qorst of watkins yesterday.  Superb goal then some absolutely shocking moments like the one above. I remember other chances once where bailey was screaming fir the pass and watkins just made a complete mess of the shot

I still dont think he is good enough for where we want to go. I expect emery will be looking for a upgrade on ollie come the jan/summer windows

• Like 1

Â