Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Shakpoke's agency have put on instagram that his new club is to be announced 'shortly', he's put it on his instagram as well. Presuming that it's us he's signing for and it's all done in time he could be facing Norwich his former club this weekend.

• Thanks 1

On 14/09/2020 at 13:57, mikeyp102 said:

According the official Twitter, u23 are losing To Albion 1-0 at half time of first match

Lost 3-1 - 2 late penalties I think.

I wouldn't worry about it (not saying you were). We're playing a bunch of 16, 17 and 18 years olds, whereas other teams have 22 and 23 year olds playing. And it's much overhauled squad.

We've had years of doing well in the u23s by keeping players there too long, and only really bought Cahill and Jack through of high quality (and Barry, although he joined us less than a year before he was in the first team squad). The new approach will see the team likely do worse, but should produce more quality for the first team. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/09/2020 at 19:25, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Not sure if this should go here or in the speculation thread, but looks like we're trying to sign Carney Chukwuemeka's brother.

I see that Caleb is making his debut for The Cobblers tonight in the league cup.

• Thanks 1

Average age v West Brom was pretty similar actually - 19.6 v 19.3. Looked like an even game that was settled at the death.

Match Sheet

https://www.transfermarkt.com/west-bromwich-albion-u23_aston-villa-u23/index/spielbericht/3445835

Match Stats

https://www.transfermarkt.com/west-bromwich-albion-u23_aston-villa-u23/statistik/spielbericht/3445835

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We know that they've joined already as they played at the weekend, but the club has now officially announced McBride, O'Reilly and Swinkels...

Aston Villa are delighted to welcome three new players to the club’s Academy.

Aaron O’Reilly (defender), Sil Swinkels (defender, pictured above) and Caolan McBride (midfielder) have all linked up with the Under-18 squad.

All three players have represented their respective countries on the international stage, and Academy Manager Mark Harrison was pleased to bring them to B6.

He said: “We are delighted to welcome Aaron, Sil and Caolan to the club.

“They have all had international experience and we look forward to watching their development at Aston Villa.”

O’Reilly, who moves over from St Patrick’s Athletic, has won four caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Swinkels joins from Vitesse Arnheim in his native Netherlands, the country he has represented twice at Under-15 level.  

And McBride, who has signed from Glentoran, has won two caps for Northern Ireland, featuring in their UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification campaign.

Congratulations to our new Villans!

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2020 at 02:25, useless said:

Shakpoke's agency have put on instagram that his new club is to be announced 'shortly', he's put it on his instagram as well. Presuming that it's us he's signing for and it's all done in time he could be facing Norwich his former club this weekend.

He's not listed on the official website yet. Maybe still finalizing the paperwork?

Not sure what's going on with Shakpoke, last I heard we were waiting for clearance from the FA, Swinkels, McBride and O'Reilly all played last weekend but they've only been officially announced today, so you might find the first we hear of Shakpoke officially joining is when he's named in one of the line-ups, same with Bogarde if that's actually happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's strange, Bogarde wasn't listed as being involved earlier on the official site, they since added him and changed Afoku to 'trialist'. Seems the goalscorer has also been changed to Bradley Young.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

Can't be certain that 'trialist' is even Afoka,  official site and other sites changed some of the starting line-up and most of the bench after the game yesterday and also the goal scorer. Although good chance that it is him.

I think he's around Barry's age as they were called up to the England U15 squad together so chances are that if he was still with Albion he would have signed some sort of a contract with them by now, meaning he probably wouldn't be having trials at other clubs, so my guess would be that he's probably left them for whatever reason.

We've got three or four of Albion's academy set-up now working for us so they will know about him and must have thought it was worth giving him a chance, that he's playing for us in the season proper rather than just friendlies makes me think that they must have confidence in his capabilities, so there must be a good chance that  he will be offered some sort of deal.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, siminjo said:

if he is listed as a trialist, does it mean he is still with WBA, and if we don`t try to take him off WBA`s hadns then he returns to them?

If he’s on trial with us, then the player is either contracted with another club or without a club. In Afoku’s case, he is probably contracted to WBA and is on trial with us

Bogarde came off the bench yesterday, so presumably has already signed, apparently he's a DM that can also play as a centre-back.

Afoka I don't know anything about other than that he's came through the Albion academy and got called up to the England U15 squad at the same time as Rico Richards and Louie Barry both  also of Albion at the time.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

Â