Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Highly-rated young Dundee United defender Kerr Smith is set to sign for Aston Villa, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

The 16-year-old centre-back has been attracting interest from a host of big English Premiership clubs in recent weeks – Manchester United and Everton among them.

But Villa appear to have won the race and Smith, currently in Birmingham, is expected to agree his first professional contract with them.

Previously a central midfielder, he was converted into a central defender by United’s senior academy head coach Adam Asghar.

It turned out to be a wise move, with first team manager Micky Mellon quickly identifying his talent in the summer and giving him a game in the August friendly against Sheffield United, when Smith, then 15, was up against veteran striker Billy Sharp.

United will obviously be disappointed to lose such a promising talent at a young age but, with the likes of Lewis Neilson and Logan Chalmers making headlines as well, it is another feather in the cap of academy director Andy Goldie and his staff and further enhances the growing reputation of the Tannadice youth set-up.

Evening Telegraph

• Thanks 3

Here we go....

So Gareth, rumours of more transfer activity at your former club Aston Villa set to sign another quality youth player, this time from Dundee United. As former England U21 manager, is it encouraging to see great talented youngsters at such an academy?

"Well, firstly, Mason and Phil are young boys who'll learn from their mistakes..."

Edited by stewiek2

Seeing that the top sides have a fairly good track record of graduating academy talents to their first team, I'm curious what our recruiting pitch is. Are other academy sides bloated, so we offer more immediate playing time? Are there financial incentives?

Just on Kerr Smith, and I guess Ben Chrisene too, we’re going to have to be careful how we manage their careers.

It’ll be odd for them having been on the cusp of regular men’s football to find them just in an academy structure.

It maybe right for them for this season at the age of 16 but next season they have to be part of the U23s and loaned back out to lower league clubs when they are 18/19.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rayk said:

Because the other players signed seem a level higher! 👍

It's virtually impossible to judge who's a higher level than who at academy level. All we need to know is they're all exciting prospects, every one of them.

Edited by Greenfly

10 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

It's virtually impossible to judge who's a higher level than who at academy level. All we need to know is they're all exciting prospects, every one of them.

I know, you’re right - just my impression. And besides it’s a testament to just how good our signings have been this summer that I’m saying this about Shakpoke. Most other summers he’d be our major signing and I’d be delighted 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rayk said:

Because the other players signed seem a level higher! 👍

And yet a lot of people involved in youth football have said Shakpoke is one of the best signings we’ve made. Very very highly rated, scored 11 goals in one match and is an England youth international 

Â