Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Just watched our young-uns' 0-1 win over Palace. Poor game in difficult conditions.

Onodi didn't have a huge amount to do in goal, but did what was needed well. I've seen Preece/Evans et al continuously build Mungo Bridge up (and in particular his ability on the ball), but I have to say he's been Hause-esque every time I've seen him. Dom Revan was a bit of a bomb scare beside him as well. Kesler was my MOTM - much better than the last few times I watched him, though strangely he was one of a number of our players to go down with cramp after an hour. He's the only one from today's defence I can see having any chance of making it with us. I'd like to see him get some loan time in L1/L2 whether it's this season or next

In midfield, Aaron Ramsey is a player I rate highly but he was pretty quiet tonight and got taken off just past the hour mark. Chukwuemeka was decent, particularly considering he's just 16. Tyreik Wright scored the injury time winner, but I can't see him/Brunt/Sturridge making it with us.

Louie Barry had a few shots blocked/wide but you can tell he's got lots of ability. I'm a little surprised he didn't get a run at some stage in the Carabao Cup. I think he's our academy's brightest prospect from what I've seen.

• Thanks 2

No Shakpoke in the team against Albion according to the official site:

Marschall, Sylla, Swinkels, Appiah, Chrisene, Bogarde, Lindley, Raikhy, Sewell, Reddin, Young

Subs: Zych, Teddy Rowe, McBride, Jay-Hart, Zito

Although strange to see Young involved, considering he was in London last night with the U23s and came on for the last twenty minutes, can't have had much rest, unless the official site has got the line-ups wrong, which wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I only know the score and that Moore scored an hat-trick because he put it on his instagram. I think that's eight goals in the first four games for him now, might be promoted to the U18s before the season is over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

No, I only know the score and that Moore scored an hat-trick because he put it on his instagram. I think that's eight goals in the first four games for him now, might be promoted to the U18s before the season is over.

Is he an u16 player?

Yes, I think that if some of the U23s go out on loan we might see some of the U18s move up to that level, which might then leave room for some of the U16s to move up to the U18s if they're good enough, although we've got a lot of academy players as it is, so might not be something that happens until towards the end of the season.

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2020 at 16:38, mikeyp102 said:

And yet a lot of people involved in youth football have said Shakpoke is one of the best signings we’ve made. Very very highly rated, scored 11 goals in one match and is an England youth international 

Who’s said that about Shakpoke? Genuinely interested.

The scoring 11 in one game thing is likely to become a millstone around his neck.

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

Who’s said that about Shakpoke? Genuinely interested.

The scoring 11 in one game thing is likely to become a millstone around his neck.

I think it was someone called thesecretscout on insta, who seems to follow a slot of youth football. Also I’m sure I read somewhere, that one of the staff we have brought in was at Norwich and instantly signalled Shakpoke as one to get into our academy. 
Agreed about the later statement, I’m sure strikers are that level always come up against a mix match and can score a hatful. 

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think it was someone called thesecretscout on insta, who seems to follow a slot of youth football. Also I’m sure I read somewhere, that one of the staff we have brought in was at Norwich and instantly signalled Shakpoke as one to get into our academy. 
Agreed about the later statement, I’m sure strikers are that level always come up against a mix match and can score a hatful. 

Okay, so just two then, not lots 😉👍

On 02/10/2020 at 08:25, rayk said:

Because the other players signed seem a level higher! 👍

In terms of reputation and the way they're thought of at the clubs we've taken them from, he's a very highly rated talent. Our people think he's a proper prospect - why is it you think he's not? 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of reputation and the way they're thought of at the clubs we've taken them from, he's a very highly rated talent. Our people think he's a proper prospect - why is it you think he's not? 

If you read my comments I haven’t said that. All I ever said is that our other signings to me seem better. That’s all and just my opinion.

Obviously I’m happy we’ve signed him because the club think highly enough of him to sign him and we’re clearly signing a better quality of player these days.

18 minutes ago, rayk said:

If you read my comments I haven’t said that. All I ever said is that our other signings to me seem better. That’s all and just my opinion.

I get that, and apologies if it's come over as an accusation. I'm just wondering what you've formed the opinion on - I haven't really seen any of the new players and have only really gone on the level of noise the signings themselves have produced, but he's been right near the top of that list. I'm just seeing if you've seen more than I have of the players themselves.

Â