Academy General Topic

smetrov

On 18/07/2020 at 18:18, VillaJ100 said:

Can I ask honestly about the academy

Is the point of it really to create players for us? In that I would consider them to be top half of the premier league level players (as that's where we should be). However, 95% of players that come through seem to be bottom end of the championship level at best and we have one mid level Premier league player a decade. 

So all I'm asking is, what's the point? Surely the coaches can see the kids in the academy aren't gonna be top players. So why keep them or sign them in the first place? Just in the blind hope they'll suddenly radically improve? 

Thing is the academy in relative terms costs peanuts to run.

Sell one academy player for £750k and that probably funds the academy for 2 years !!!

I do think getting rid of players sooner is the right move - if a player gets to say 22 and isn't cutting it - then most likely he isn't going too.

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Let's hope he is as good as the last centre half that played for both Villa and St Pat's 😉

No pressure on the kid eh.

Mikell Barnes been offered a scholarship, has posted an highlights video on his instagram looks like a direct skillful midfielder. Club said they were going to announce some more deals in the coming weeks so I presume he will be announced in the coming days along with a few others.

• Thanks 2

Kane Taylor has been training with Mikell Barnes at 'peakperformanceltd'... In a Arsenal kit... According to his instagram he's still a City player, maybe he just likes wearing different teams tops.

• Haha 1

Just googled him and was being linked with Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs a few months back, Juventus, AC Milan and Borussia Dortmund supposedly been scouting him as well. Apparently a defensive midfielder that can also play in defence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â