Academy General Topic

smetrov

Hope he doesn't turn out to be a replacement for Chukwuemeka (...not saying he can't be better I've no idea, just would be nice to have both), of all the reports of our youngsters training with the first team, Barry, Aaron Ramsey, Bridge, Clarke, Wright, Kessler and Archer have all been mentioned, but surprised no word on he or Philogene-Bidace, apparently two of our most highly rated academy prospects, hope it's not because they're set to leave after the rumours of them being targetd by other clubs.

Edited by useless

I am always pleased to see new young talent join us.

However, yet another creative midfielder.

when are we going to sign a young player, who has a reputation for stopping the opposition......or are we just signing players to sell them?

We need to build a first team.

• Like 1

Not many young midfielders who's main job is to stop the oppostion come through these days, off the top of my head I can't think of any examples, these days most of them come through with more of the skillful/passing/positiong side of the game in mind, and the defensive side is something that they develop with experience and as they perhaps develop physically and become stronger. That said I'm sure we'll have a few young midfielders coming through who are more defensiive minded than attack minded, but whether they turn out to be good enough for the first team is another matter.

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think that? We have lots of good teenagers at the minute

But these are two of  our most promising. Would just be a shame to lose them for nothing 

We haven't had many academy players break into the first team in a while now, we've been waiting for some decent ones to come through the ranks, won't look too good if when we finally produce a few they then get poached by other clubs, won't look good either after what Purslow said about us signing Barry as a signal of intent to other youngsters that Aston Villa is the pace to be. I remember Green being linked with Spurs and Hepburn-Murphy to Rangers and Man City, so maybe the Philogene-Bidace and Chukwuemeka rumours will turn out to be just paper talk like those.

9 minutes ago, messi11 said:

But these are two of  our most promising. Would just be a shame to lose them for nothing 

We have others too, Aaron Ramsey and Kaine Kessler, there are more, if they do get poached, we will find more

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

If Chukwuemeka and Philogene-Bidace leave we should just give up

It was crazy...  only offering Pilogene-Bidace only a year deal last summer.

Why only a 1 year contract? It should have been least 2 to 3 year's. To see how he got on after that contract length and evaluate how he is performing during it.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

It was crazy...  only offering Pilogene-Bidace only a year deal last summer.

Why only a 1 year contract? It should have been least 2 to 3 year's. To see how he got on after that contract length and evaluate how he is performing during it.

Maybe he has an attitude problem?

17 hours ago, useless said:

Not many young midfielders who's main job is to stop the oppostion come through these days, off the top of my head I can't think of any examples, these days most of them come through with more of the skillful/passing/positiong side of the game in mind, and the defensive side is something that they develop with experience and as they perhaps develop physically and become stronger. That said I'm sure we'll have a few young midfielders coming through who are more defensiive minded than attack minded, but whether they turn out to be good enough for the first team is another matter.

I agree with your first couple of lines, but that's my point.

Other teams have them and they don't grow on trees.....clubs do develop them.

I am trying to highlight the narrow minded approach, we seem to have.

The first team has to be balanced to succeed and the academy should in theory be the breeding ground for that talent......we can't just develop creative players and dismiss the crucial element of being comfortable in defending.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with your first couple of lines, but that's my point.

Other teams have them and they don't grow on trees.....clubs do develop them.

I am trying to highlight the narrow minded approach, we seem to have.

The first team has to be balanced to succeed and the academy should in theory be the breeding ground for that talent......we can't just develop creative players and dismiss the crucial element of being comfortable in defending.

They don't grow on Premier League trees either. McTominay and Declan Rice is only one to break through at Premier League level in last 3/4 seasons and Rice doesn't even play his natural position 

Most of rest are signed from abroad 

5 minutes ago, useless said:

According to Transfermarkt Chukwuemeka doens't turn 17 until January. Which I think means he can't sign a professional deal with us until then.

That’s where I got his DOB from too but apparently it’s wrong according to Dadster23

If he's older the sooner we can get him to sign a deal, otherwise we'd lose him for nothing. Strange thing is before Purslow had namechecked him I was aware of the name but had no idea he was meant to be so highly rated, although he meant well I'm not sure it wise for Purslow to speak the way he did.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

If he's older the sooner we can get him to sign a deal, otherwise we'd lose him for nothing. Strange thing is before Purslow had namechecked him I was aware of the name but had no idea he was meant to be so highly rated, although he meant well I'm not sure it wise for Purslow to speak the way he did.

I agree, he shouldn’t be bigging up a schoolboy in the media, no matter how good he is 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Â