Academy General Topic

smetrov

On 13/07/2020 at 20:44, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my book, that’s a good thing

It would be as well. You're looking at £20 million in fees. 

It's not like all youth players need to play for the first team of AVFC, but making a profit on them is a pretty big deal. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It would be as well. You're looking at £20 million in fees. 

It's not like all youth players need to play for the first team of AVFC, but making a profit on them is a pretty big deal. 

I agree with you but the sad reality of the situation is that nearly all of the young players that play for our youth teams don’t even play league football. I think it emphasises how good a player has to be to make it here

20 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Dominic Revan and Jake Walker both have a chance I think, Revan is a 19 centre back, he’s been in the first team squad a few times, he’s class. Walker is a 19 year old right back, he played for our u23s as an u16, he’s out on loan, he’s currently out on loan at Banbury United, they both have a chance I think 

I'm afraid, in my opinion, if a young lad is 19 and only being loaned out to Banbury and not a football league club then I don't think they have much chance. 

Would it be worth loaning Revan out do you think to see how he gets on competitively?

What do you make of Kaine Kesler? Seen a few say he is highly rated. Using the only source of info I have on the lad(football manager 😂😂), it looks like he's a speedy right back but that doesn't say how good he is?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm afraid, in my opinion, if a young lad is 19 and only being loaned out to Banbury and not a football league club then I don't think they have much chance. 

Would it be worth loaning Revan out do you think to see how he gets on competitively?

What do you make of Kaine Kesler? Seen a few say he is highly rated. Using the only source of info I have on the lad(football manager 😂😂), it looks like he's a speedy right back but that doesn't say how good he is?

Walker just hasn’t kicked on, I think he’s had a lot of injuries for one so young, he is excellent though, make no mistake, he’s tough and tigerish in the tackle. He has a chance to do well here still I think 

Revan is excellent too I think but then again they all are :( he’s been in our first team squad a few times under Bruce I think it was. 

I saw Kessler a few times last season, he looked very good, he’s another right back. He’s quick and good on the ball, they all are SGC, they all are :(

21 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Dominic Revan and Jake Walker both have a chance I think, Revan is a 19 centre back, he’s been in the first team squad a few times, he’s class. Walker is a 19 year old right back, he played for our u23s as an u16, he’s out on loan, he’s currently out on loan at Banbury United, they both have a chance I think 

That's all well and good, but are they good-looking?

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2020 at 14:44, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my book, that’s a good thing

Definitely agree with this. If they're starting games in the top flight, then they will more successful than most of our recent academy grads. Cahill and Grealish are the two that come to mind who have done that in the "recent" years.

• Like 1

Kane Kesler on the Bench today. Would of probz defended better than Targett for the goal too 

Maybe the next one to break into the first team 

Edited by messi11

Can I ask honestly about the academy

Is the point of it really to create players for us? In that I would consider them to be top half of the premier league level players (as that's where we should be). However, 95% of players that come through seem to be bottom end of the championship level at best and we have one mid level Premier league player a decade. 

So all I'm asking is, what's the point? Surely the coaches can see the kids in the academy aren't gonna be top players. So why keep them or sign them in the first place? Just in the blind hope they'll suddenly radically improve? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Is the point of it really to create players for us? In that I would consider them to be top half of the premier league level players (as that's where we should be). However, 95% of players that come through seem to be bottom end of the championship level at best and we have one mid level Premier league player a decade. 

So all I'm asking is, what's the point? Surely the coaches can see the kids in the academy aren't gonna be top players. So why keep them or sign them in the first place? Just in the blind hope they'll suddenly radically improve? 

I think it is a really significant question and a brave one.

I have heard repeatedly over the years of this , that and the other player, being a brilliant prospect, I have learned not to get terribly excited, for the following reason.

I am not going to pretend, I know much about academy players or their development, but to put in a general comment, I would say in the main.......Lightweights....there has been a few exceptions granted.

They are rarely ready for the rigours of the arduous leagues, that to me is not development for the first team.....its grooming to sell at best.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

We give them a grounding and an opportunity to showcase their talents. The sad reality is that the vast majority don’t even play league football but once in a generation, a Grealish comes along and it all worth it again 

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it is a really significant question and a brave one.

I have heard repeatedly over the years of this , that and the other player, being a brilliant prospect, I have learned not to get terribly excited, for the following reason.

I am not going to pretend, I know much about academy players or their development, but to put in a general comment, I would say in the main.......Lightweights....there has been a few exceptions granted.

They are rarely ready for the rigours of the arduous leagues, that to me is not development for the first team.....its grooming to sell at best.

Yep not trying to throw shade on the academy etc just scrutinise it. Like the u-18 academy team, I'd expecting in 5 years time them to be making up half of the first team. Half won't make it, but be plugging away in the championship. 

The reality is 75% of them dont play pro football at all, 20% play in league one or lower, and 4% lower prem or championship. Once a decade we get a mid table Premier league player. And a Jack what every 20?

And selling on for profit, how much are you going to get for an 18 Yr old league 1/2 player? 50/100 grand? Surely we'd have spent more training them since age 8

Edited by VillaJ100

On 18/07/2020 at 23:01, thabucks said:

So do we give a chance to Jacob Ramsey next season in the championship or send him out on loan... Jota & him on RW/AM? 

Personally I prefer see him to player as limited rotation and regular come out bench, or injury to replace first team in AM Roles in 3 midfield with track back along buy new players take Grealish’s replacement; Deck are my ideal player to take over. Deck and Ramsey regard which league we are in even premiership or championship but Loan might right move - I think we should soft approach to help developing better perks rather throw to wolf dens and fight for survival and learn in short time. 

Â