Academy General Topic

smetrov

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about young midfielder Travis Patterson? I’ve done a bit of googling and he has represented England at u15 level, edit- after a bit more googling, he has represented England u15 in 2019 and 2020. When a player plays up an age group, they are usually special, I don’t want to hype him up too much like I have done in the past

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Birmingham Mail "exclusive" linking us with with a move for Steve Hopcroft who is Albion's "head of academy recruitment"...

'Aston Villa are looking to poach another key member of West Bromwich Albion’s academy staff, Birmingham Live understands.

Steve Hopcroft has resigned as Albion’s head of academy recruitment and been placed on gardening leave at The Hawthorns.'

• Thanks 1

Hopcroft turned down the chance to join Manchester United in the same role in 2016 because they were offering him less money than what he was earning at Albion. Didn't offer him enough money, but the fact that The Red Devils wanted him for their academy shows that he must be highly rated at his job.

• Like 2

In reference to my post above regarding Travis Patterson, I’ve just seen a video of him playing for the Villa youth team. Wow- it was only a short video but he looks immense, like a taller and quicker Gareth Barry. Patterson just seems to glide across the pitch, wow just wow and he’s all left foot, skinny as a rake too. Judging by the video, he knows he’s good too 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

JPB is brilliant - he and Kesler really catch the eye. In the current situation with no football being played, tying this kid down to a new contract should be an absolute priority for the football club.

I think they are both very good young players but I thought that about Mitchell Clark and Easah Suliman and we let them go. I think it just shows how good you have to be to make it at this football club

On 16/03/2020 at 01:09, sir_gary_cahill said:

In reference to my post above regarding Travis Patterson, I’ve just seen a video of him playing for the Villa youth team. Wow- it was only a short video but he looks immense, like a taller and quicker Gareth Barry. Patterson just seems to glide across the pitch, wow just wow and he’s all left foot, skinny as a rake too. Judging by the video, he knows he’s good too 

Any link bud?

2 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Any link bud?

Do you have instagram? If so, just type in the search bar ‘’travisjpatterson’ and in his videos, click on the 1 on the right with the Villa shirt and the number 10 and it should come up, it’s worth it, trust me

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2020 at 03:09, sir_gary_cahill said:

Think he needs to work on his passing by the looks of that video - all the highlights seem to cut before his pass should be completed 🤣 

He looks head and shoulders ahead of the opposition, though - going by them as if they weren't there. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think they are both very good young players but I thought that about Mitchell Clark and Easah Suliman and we let them go. I think it just shows how good you have to be to make it at this football club

We had a young kid doing all that , can't rememeber his name, went to Wolves in the end and then to who knows.

Jaden is a wonderful talent, but its doing it with the big boys, they have developed their talent in stopping talent like that.

Jaden at some stage has to work on holding off these spoilers( its easier in the lower leagues) and developing the strength for his talent to flourish.....thats the challenge...and comes with maturity.

I rememeber seeing us play Fulham at Villa Park, Brian Little was on fire, but they had Bobby Moore in their team......Brian almost never got a kick and Bobby went off with his shorts lillywhite....thats what great defenders do to talent, reduce it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We had a young kid doing all that , can't rememeber his name, went to Wolves in the end and then to who knows.

He is a wonderful talent, but its doing it with the big boys, they are have developed their talent in stopping talent like that.

Jaden at some stage has to work on holding off theses spoilers( its easier in the lower leagues) and developing the strength for his talent to flourish.....thats the challenge.

I rememeber seeing us play Fulham at Villa Park, Brian Little was on fire, but they had Bobby Moore in their team......Brian almost never got a kick and Bobby went off with his shorts lillywhite....thats what great defenders do to talent, reduce it.

Do you mean Jordan Graham? He’s on loan at Gillingham from Wolves. If you do mean him, I saw him a few times for youth and reserve teams. You could tell he had talent but he didn’t know how to use it, it’s often the case with young players I think

• Thanks 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you mean Jordan Graham? He’s on loan at Gillingham from Wolves. If you do mean him, I saw him a few times for youth and reserve teams. You could tell he had talent but he didn’t know how to use it, it’s often the case with young players I think

yes thanks.....it is.

but trying to be respectful there are elements we all miss and they are crucial to be a top player and its not always the eye candy.....watching George Best in his pomp, his skill was there to see, but his resillience in riding challenges and the determination to resist being bullied was a crucial feature of his success.

Watching Jack develop is the same, he added a dimension to his game when he came back from injury.....He was alwyays known for his raw talent, but also known for going to ground so easily too......Now he doesn't go to ground so easily and when he does he uses his nous to gain advantage.

I have said this so many times, Talent alone is limited, with application it becomes lethal.....its a mans game and the great talents know this and work on protecting that talent from predators.

But the boy Jaden, Blimey the signs so far are undoubtedly encouraging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

yes thanks.....it is.

but trying to be respectful there are elements we all miss and they are crucial to be a top player and its not always the eye candy.....watching George Best in his pomp, his skill was there to see, but his resillience in riding challenges and the determination to resist being bullied was a crucial feature of his success.

Watching Jack develop is the same, he added a dimension to his game when he came back from injury.....He was alwyays known for his raw talent, but also known for going to ground so easily too......Now he doesn't go to ground so easily and when he does he uses his nous to gain advantage.

I have said this so many times, Talent alone is limited, with application it becomes lethal.....its a mans game and the great talents know this and work on protecting that talent from predators.

But the boy Jaden, Blimey the signs so far are undoubtedly encouraging.

I agree with all of this of post apart from women can play too, it’s a growing phenomenon. Also, as I have learned from the past, we shouldn’t hype young players up too much

49 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree with all of this of post apart from women can play too, it’s a growing phenomenon. Also, as I have learned from the past, we shouldn’t hype young players up too much

with regards to womens football, we shouldn't expect the same level of aggression attached to mens football, but everything is relative I guess, they will think their level is sufficient to match the challenge.

I agree, we get a bit carried away with the "finer arts" and thinks thats all there is to it.....then the "Darker arts" present themselves and we realise there is more to this game than meets the eye.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 18:04, OutByEaster? said:

JPB is brilliant - he and Kesler really catch the eye. In the current situation with no football being played, tying this kid down to a new contract should be an absolute priority for the football club.

That no look back heel pass. Jaysus!!! Proper nawty that was!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â